PDA

View Full Version : DR. Phil question regarding MB quarts

nealh
01-28-2004, 04:03 AM
Hi..I have a 2003 530i with a nondsp audio setup..I just upgraded my audio and I love the sound...Very clean and bass is much better

JL audio 500/5 amp
Front: MB quart PCE 213 2 way components
rears stock..you can not hear the rear fill in 5 series much at all(though in a smaller car like the 3 series this is more important)..so I did not upgrade this
sub: 1 JL 10in Infinite Baffle sub mounted in the rear deck(I can add a second sub later)
remote bass control for the amp

My MB crossovers are set to -3db...fine for me
the amp is set to High bandpass with the front and rears set with a filter freq. of 85hz, slope set to 12 db
the sub filter freq is set to 85hz..the filter freq is set to 24db(at 12db I get too much boomy resonance for my tastes)...my referred bass is a snappy pop that I feel not the deep resonanting boomy bass..if that makes sense

I saw you set your MB quarts to 100hz and sub at 65 or 80??..do get a sense you are missing anything..why 100hz?

Wonder if I should set the slope on the speakers to 24db as well??
Personally the MB woofers seem not to reproduce much mid range or at least not as much as the stock speakers...wonder if this is true..
Any thoughts??

Patrick
01-28-2004, 04:26 AM
Do you happen to have any pictures? Maybe before, during and after?

Just curious to see what it looks like in a 5er.

-

Dr. Phil
01-28-2004, 05:59 AM
Hi..I have a 2003 530i with a nondsp audio setup..I just upgraded my audio and I love the sound...Very clean and bass is much better

JL audio 500/5 amp
Front: MB quart PCE 213 2 way components
rears stock..you can not hear the rear fill in 5 series much at all(though in a smaller car like the 3 series this is more important)..so I did not upgrade this
sub: 1 JL 10in Infinite Baffle sub mounted in the rear deck(I can add a second sub later)
remote bass control for the amp

My MB crossovers are set to -3db...fine for me
the amp is set to High bandpass with the front and rears set with a filter freq. of 85hz, slope set to 12 db
the sub filter freq is set to 85hz..the filter freq is set to 24db(at 12db I get too much boomy resonance for my tastes)...my referred bass is a snappy pop that I feel not the deep resonanting boomy bass..if that makes sense

I saw you set your MB quarts to 100hz and sub at 65 or 80??..do get a sense you are missing anything..why 100hz?

Wonder if I should set the slope on the speakers to 24db as well??
Personally the MB woofers seem not to reproduce much mid range or at least not as much as the stock speakers...wonder if this is true..
Any thoughts??
The current settings are temporary. I am putting in a new head unit on Friday at which point we will play with the setting, crossover points, etc. My plan is to line up the points of cross over the same since I can tweak it a bit from the Clarion unit I am putting in :D The sub point will likely be at 85 when all is said and done.

I find the MB mids in my doors to do a great job with reproduction :thumbup: In fact they definitely boom (tightly too) a ton more then the stock speakers. I killed all factory speakers as I did not want to mix sound qualities. I have the rear gains set at near minimum so I get just enough rear fill. This way my son can hear his music without me cranking up the volume to the fronts.

Dr. Phil
01-28-2004, 06:01 AM
Do you happen to have any pictures? Maybe before, during and after?

Just curious to see what it looks like in a 5er.

-
:eeps:

Have you been corrupted :dunno: :bigpimp: :angel:

Do it Patrick, do it Patrick......video for the youngster while you are at it

Patrick
01-28-2004, 06:12 AM

No-no. :nono:

No corruption here. I have just heard that modifying the ICE in an E39 is not the easiest thing in the word. My POS has the basic Business CD set-up, and of course with a fistful of Euros, I would love to do some sound mods. However, I would need to make it a point to drive a little more than alee each month ... :tsk:

Anyway, I was just innocently interested in seeing some pictures! :)

After seeing your pics, I would be too frightened to ever attempt such things! :yikes:

:angel:

-

Alex Baumann
01-28-2004, 06:23 AM

He was always corrupted. Among the infamous Hijackers, he's been the one with the most mods :p

Patrick
01-28-2004, 06:26 AM
He was always corrupted. Among the infamous Hijackers, he's been the one with the most mods :p

LMAO! Well, at least I sold the lowered (slammed) 318i with HAMANN eyelids and roof spoiler. :eeps:

I was young then ...

:bigpimp:

-

Dr. Phil
01-28-2004, 06:40 AM
:confused: A closet modder huh :str8pimpi

The :amish: will strive to take over the king of :bling: title for all Hijacktivist :supdude:

nealh
01-28-2004, 03:18 PM
The current settings are temporary. I am putting in a new head unit on Friday at which point we will play with the setting, crossover points, etc. My plan is to line up the points of cross over the same since I can tweak it a bit from the Clarion unit I am putting in :D The sub point will likely be at 85 when all is said and done.

I find the MB mids in my doors to do a great job with reproduction :thumbup: In fact they definitely boom (tightly too) a ton more then the stock speakers. I killed all factory speakers as I did not want to mix sound qualities. I have the rear gains set at near minimum so I get just enough rear fill. This way my son can hear his music without me cranking up the volume to the fronts.

Hmm do you get a feel of "bass feel " out of them...

Do you know what the crossover DB is set on .... 0, -1.5,-3,-4.5,-6??

BTW the front doors look exactly the same..only my rear deck inside and trunk look different and I do have pic but they are large files...doubt I could load a 1 mg file here..I tired it is too large

Dr. Phil
01-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Hmm do you get a feel of "bass feel " out of them...

Do you know what the crossover DB is set on .... 0, -1.5,-3,-4.5,-6??

BTW the front doors look exactly the same..only my rear deck inside and trunk look different and I do have pic but they are large files...doubt I could load a 1 mg file here..I tired it is too large
Set at 0 for now but going down 2 notches most likely.