PDA

View Full Version : Interior Trim Advice, pls.

ras912
01-20-2011, 06:29 PM
I am ordering a 535 in Dark Graphite Metallic. I decided on the black leather (the oyster/black combo was tempting but thought it might look a little odd). Anyhow, I'm leaning towards the anthracite trim -- thinking it might blend in better with the black dash and back interior. Is the consensus that th's the trim combination as opposed to the dark wood? Thanks!

jpointe
01-20-2011, 06:54 PM
It's completely a personal preference and you can't go wrong with either, but some might say that the the anthracite matches "too well," i.e., its darkness blends in with the black and there is no contrast. The dark wood has a little better contrast and looks like wood against the black leather. The anthracite almost looks black against the black leather from a distance because of its darkness and presence of fine lines as opposed to burls. That said, anthracite on black is a very clean, dark and sporty look, if that's what you're going for.

Hoss NY
01-20-2011, 06:58 PM
It's completely a personal preference and you can't go wrong with either, but some might say that the the anthracite matches "too well," i.e., its darkness blends in with the black and there is no contrast. The dark wood has a little better contrast and looks like wood against the black leather. The anthracite almost looks black against the black leather from a distance because of its darkness and presence of fine lines as opposed to burls. That said, anthracite on black is a very clean, dark and sporty look, if that's what you're going for.

+1.

I have the anthracite with Oyster/Black in my F10. I also have the dark wood with black in my E39. Both look great and I think that anthracite with black would look clean and sporty also.

myBMW535
01-20-2011, 07:08 PM
I have been going through the same choice for the past month or so. Having looked at the combo (dark wood/anthracite wood vs black leather) I chose anthracite as being a bit different. IMO horizontal stripes in anthracite wood look sporty, whereas dark wood looks more serene and more ordinary. Anthracite gives a bit of an edge and having chosen manual transmission, it fits perfectly. You should look in person in different light. It is amazing how your perception changes dependent on lighting conditions, exterior color and even your mood.

Ronsell
01-21-2011, 07:53 AM
I have the anthracite/black combo, and I really like it--a very clean, somewhat "edgy" look, IMO. I've had several cars
with burl walnut (or similar) trim, and I wanted something different this time around.

jimhomer2000
01-21-2011, 08:17 AM
I agree with all the posters above.
I went through the same struggle and decision making process.
The only additional interest point is that my decision was made up for me when I chose the M-Sport package.
It is only available with the anthracite and not dark wood.

ras912
01-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks, Jim. Now I am struggling with black versus oyster/black combo. Any thoughts? I am pretty sure I am overthinking all of this :)

jimhomer2000
01-21-2011, 08:41 AM
ras912,

I would echo the sentiment of many here, it is a personal preference, and you cannot go wrong either way.
I chose black because I am in Northern California and my cars are always garaged, so heat is not a problem.
Also I find the darker color holds up well over time. When I see used luxuries including the Mercedes and etc, I always notice the creases in the light leather seats, especially on the driver's side.
Everything in some of these 2-3 year old cars are spanking new, but the light leather seats say "I am used".

Argelius
01-21-2011, 09:57 AM
I'm personally toying with the black with light wood combination. To me the anthracite/black combo makes the interior too dark and monotonous. The aluminium just doesn't look upscale enough for me.

I Think the black with light wood is a little different than the traditional dark wood...

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402107&highlight=light+wood

Needsdecaf
01-21-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm personally toying with the black with light wood combination. To me the anthracite/black combo makes the interior too dark and monotonous. The aluminium just doesn't look upscale enough for me.

I Think the black with light wood is a little different than the traditional dark wood...

Interesting. can't decide whether I love it or hate it. :p

Sherman B
01-21-2011, 10:20 AM

Not a fan of that color combo.

Argelius
01-21-2011, 10:48 AM
I just wish there was a wood color somewhere in between "dark" and "light."...

highyo
01-21-2011, 10:56 AM
I just wish there was a wood color somewhere in between "dark" and "light."...

everyone will be talking their book, but i think black with light or alum looks weird. with the exception of oyster/black and anthracite, i think black dakota or nappa with anthracite looks best.

would have LOVED the fineline matte wood from the 7 though. that could probably be special order.

xDrive Canuck
01-21-2011, 11:26 AM
I have black nappa leather with the dark wood and I think it looks great. There is a small aluminum trim that goes with the wood as well and it just looks sharp IMO. But you can't go wrong with either, both do look great.