PDA

View Full Version : 6NR not avail for retrofit according to BMW group

Kar Don
01-20-2011, 09:57 PM
BMW technology group from Palo Alto told Gearlog at CES that the new 6NR function would not be avail for retrofit on older vehicles. Looks like my F10 on order is already out of date. See article below

Mini Connected works now on 2011 Mini cars and BMW Connected works on new BMWs as of early spring 2011 production. Durach said the Mini / BMW Connected technologies can't be retrofitted to older cars.

http://www.gearlog.com/2011/01/mini_uses_pandora_as_first_min.php

Needsdecaf
01-21-2011, 06:11 AM
Not surprised.

pharding
01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
not surprised.
+1

mzwicker
01-22-2011, 08:13 AM
I am really disappointed with BMW.

anthony@empireleasing
01-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Older cars seems like a broad term

Sent from my Nexus One using Bimmer App

ksoze
01-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Not totally convinced there will not be an upgrade path for Combox (6VC) equipped cars, built post September 2010. There has been speculation the comments attributed in the CES video were a general reference to the majority of existing cars - non-Combox cars, which unfortunately do lack this platform designed for future enhancements.

The Combox was touted as being the platform for future phone/media integration and it's ability to be upgraded via software was in all the materials. If the upcoming 6NR option requires additional hardware, then it is probably a dead end for retrofit, as unfortunately was the Combox. With the upgradeable hardware existing now in Combox equipped cars however, it does beg the question what other hardware additions in 6NR are needed for further phone integration that the magic Combox cannot handle? It does appear in any version, the Smartphone Integration (6NF) may be required, albeit with a newer cradle.

Hopefully, this enhanced phone integration is a software change to the highly upgradeable Combox - if not, then one wonders what all the hype for the Combox was and why a complex, multi-faceted, configurable device like that was only for album artwork and some bluetooth streaming.

sajison
01-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Older cars seems like a broad term

thats what i'm hoping

anthony@empireleasing
01-22-2011, 08:35 AM
I have an august build so i am @$$ out.

if not, then one wonders what all the hype for the Combox was and why a complex, multi-faceted, configurable device like that was only for album artwork and some bluetooth streaming.

Well said. Your logic is solid. Let's hope BMW product managers (and the engineers), who planned and designed the COMBOX, think in terms of "extensible platforms".

vortexx
01-22-2011, 09:49 AM
I think what ksoze said is totally feasible. I carefully read the BMW official announcement from an engineer's perspective to look for clues. It sounds like the additional hardware that is needed comes in the form of a new iPhone cradle, along with an API that could very likely be available via a software update for those that have combox.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=262426&d=1295146543

an API (applications programming interface) is an intermediate piece of software that let's two different systems talk to each other in a standard way through a series of defined software calls.

Wikipedia provides a decent explaination for those interested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Api

Here is an explanation from a different industry that has a good example: http://communication.howstuffworks.com/how-to-leverage-an-api-for-conferencing1.htm

BMW's with 6nr will have:
1. an updated user interface and menu structure. This should be a software update
2. A new API, also software, but that will reside on a new piece of hardware. I believe that hardware will be a new iPhone cradle.
3. If they build similar functionality for other devices, the API for that device (like an Android phone) would reside in an Android specific cradle)
4. The part I am not clear on, is whether the current combox has the hardware requirements to do this, but my gut feeling is yes, it does. You can currently stream Pandora from your iPhone - the only thing missing is the user interface, and the API to allow the interfacento control the external apps on the phone. If you have not yet tried Pandora, it is worth doing. Connect your iPhone, open Pandora, then select the iPhone as a source from iDrive. (I actually made the iPhone a preset).

EvolutionTheory
01-22-2011, 11:15 AM
I'd suggest optimistically for you guys that by "older cars" they mean older models, not necessarily post Sept. builds of the F10. Though technically that term could of course include any pre-spring F10. :dunno:

Keppage
01-22-2011, 11:49 AM
On page four of the 6nr brochure the note at the bottom states the iphone and the iphone snap in adapter are not part of 6nr so it would seem the additional hardware needed is beyond just the cradle although I am not an engineer. Having said that, the same brochure on the same page states it will initially only be available for the e82/e88 models yet a couple of the UK lads have confirmed they ordered it on an f10 for a March production. I am currently scheduled for a February production and I can move to March but will lose the 1.5k holiday credit so I am closely monitoring developments.

pharding
01-22-2011, 12:05 PM
There is a massive amount of internal wiring and electronic technology in the F10. I would be shocked if you make a major change like shifting to the Combox and have the potential for a retrofit to the early build F10's with a different system. I am amazed at the naive whining about some posters here who feel entitled to a hardware upgrade path. Electronics just do not work that way. I wish that I could be entitled to an M-Sport retrofit to my June build 550i. However when one buys a car, you purchase what the manufacturer has to offer at that point in time.

ksoze
01-22-2011, 12:09 PM
I am currently scheduled for a February production and I can move to March but will lose the 1.5k holiday credit so I am closely monitoring developments.

Same boat. As well as get hit with the price increase if your order was in before 12/31/10.

ksoze
01-22-2011, 12:31 PM
There is a massive amount of internal wiring and electronic technology in the F10. I would be shocked if you make a major change like shifting to the Combox and have the potential for a retrofit to the early build F10's with a different system. I am amazed at the naive whining about some posters here who feel entitled to a hardware upgrade path.

Agree on the need to provide constant upgrades to models to keep pace with technology and the competition. The issue here is a bit different however.

The Combox appears to be able to be updated through software and was hyped by BMW for future enhancements such as the 6NR features now being purposely leaked. It would not be unexpected that if the 6NR option is software or API related as suspected, that the Combox could be easily updated since it will probably play a major role in this option. If it is new hardware for 6NR or a new Combox, then the promise of the Combox is a little over sold by BMW.

Not seeing as much whining here as a search for information so many can make logical decisions when ordering or moving an order. I think the incentives from December also loom large in many cases and make these move decisions even more crucial.

Stealth.Pilot
01-22-2011, 02:30 PM
By 6NR, do you mean the iPod out function? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. I have iPod out in my Lexus. It looks nice, but Apple did not design it that well. Apple's output layout is not ideal imo, and in iPod video out mode, Apple did not provide for much UI control. If combox is already providing album art, the only things you gain with iPod out will be control of the genius function, and a screen that looks more like an iPod.

darbyogill
01-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Looks like my F10 on order is already out of date.

No Twitter and no Facebook on iDrive? Oh the humanity. How are you going to live without that?

Does anyone buy these cars for how they drive anymore?

smhoer
01-22-2011, 03:47 PM
I am not really interested in 6NR except for the Ipod out function. I use the Genius Automatic Playlists more than anything else and miss this functionality in my car. I wish you could use Itunes to make the genius auto playlist migrate into a permanent playlist.

No Twitter and no Facebook on iDrive? Oh the humanity. How are you going to live without that?

Does anyone buy these cars for how they drive anymore?

Good point about the Facebook!
But a car such as the F10 (and increasingly most others - including cheaper cars like the Mini) is also a gadget. And clearly, many of us like gadgets.
It is about how it drives of course, but also about the quality of the human comfort and entertainment systems it provides. How good the audio system, or how smooth is its Bluetooth integration. And it is reasonable to expect car manufacturers to think a few steps ahead and build systems that can upgrade and update. All within reason. In this respect the car industry is only now starting to catch up with the consumer electronics industry. Can you imagine buying a Blackberry or an iPhone and not expect substantial upgrades and extensibility? What BMW is starting to realize is, that within certain controlled boundaries (see Apple), their cars could be "extended" using (in this case) the iPhone. It makes their cars more desirable. I for one would pay 99c for an iPhone/iPod app that offers (as prompts on the iDrive screen) location based deals for motels - while on a long road trip. Or one that automatically calculates the mileage and then adds it to an expense report just by clicking a couple of iDrive functions.

But I agree with you. I also want my car to drive as a BMW should!

nealh
01-22-2011, 06:24 PM
The only issue I really see right now is how many new options are popping up in such a short time that can have an affect on some desirable options. Screw FB/Twitter crap but more tech options on 6NR seem worthwhile but based on what BMW appears to ahve done the 6NR option will soon be replaced in 6mo?? with 6QR

Kinda of stupid to have som much changing in a new model.

Stealth.Pilot
01-22-2011, 09:32 PM
The only issue I really see right now is how many new options are popping up in such a short time that can have an affect on some desirable options. Screw FB/Twitter crap but more tech options on 6NR seem worthwhile but based on what BMW appears to ahve done the 6NR option will soon be replaced in 6mo?? with 6QR

Kinda of stupid to have som much changing in a new model.

I think it's great. Other car manufacturers take 3 years to update the tech in their cars. That BMW can iterate the tech so quality, ensures that they will always be the leaders.

Look at the tech in a Mercedes these days - it's totally outdated in comparison.

The 6NR option will be outdated when the units from the new Invidia deal come through.

pharding
01-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Let the technology dogs run. Overall better for BMW and better for us ultimately.

kohjul
01-23-2011, 12:49 AM
So do you guys know when the 6nr will be implemented in f10? is it possible to get 6nr with the car by February?

oil_filter
01-23-2011, 01:08 AM
I think it's great that BMW keeps introducing new features/capabilities, but fear that unless they find a way to offer these as upgrades to existing F10's (assuming post September build), the resale value of our car may suffer. I mean, who wants to buy an outdated model without a substantial mark-down.

Now BMW could choose to monetize at least some of the SW upgrades for a nominal fee. This would make the car even more attractive since it would help protect the investment (not to mention the dealer network.

melor
01-23-2011, 01:31 AM
I am not really interested in 6NR except for the Ipod out function. I use the Genius Automatic Playlists more than anything else and miss this functionality in my car. I wish you could use Itunes to make the genius auto playlist migrate into a permanent playlist.

You can in iTunes. On the top right of the Genius playlist you can select how many songs, refresh the list and Save Playlist.

I keep 23 playlists of 75 songs each that were generated by the genius feature. I have created a folder where I keep them and sync them to my iPod. They can even be refreshed in iTunes and then re-synced back to the iPod.

I am using an iPod Nano 16G ( last generation shaped like a stick of gum ) in my 335 and this arrangement works great! I find it like Pandora without the need for data connection.

Paul

pharding
01-23-2011, 07:24 AM
You can in iTunes. On the top right of the Genius playlist you can select how many songs, refresh the list and Save Playlist.

I keep 23 playlists of 75 songs each that were generated by the genius feature. I have created a folder where I keep them and sync them to my iPod. They can even be refreshed in iTunes and then re-synced back to the iPod.

I am using an iPod Nano 16G ( last generation shaped like a stick of gum ) in my 335 and this arrangement works great! I find it like Pandora without the need for data connection.

Paul
Thanks. That is great tip which works really well.

melor
01-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks. That is great tip which works really well.

Pharding, because of your encouragement I created this thread.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5793762#post5793762

Thanks for the kind word.

Paul

smhoer
01-23-2011, 11:04 AM

Paul

I am talking about the automatically generated playlists under the "Genius Mix" selection in the left hand menus. It is different than the Create Genius Playlist process. The automatically generated playlists happen when you have a critical mass of music in Itunes. It generates categories like "singer/songwriters" "classic rock" "adult alternative" etc.

melor
01-23-2011, 11:28 AM
I am talking about the automatically generated playlists under the "Genius Mix" selection in the left hand menus. It is different than the Create Genius Playlist process. The automatically generated playlists happen when you have a critical mass of music in Itunes. It generates categories like "singer/songwriters" "classic rock" "adult alternative" etc.

I just played with that feature. I almost never listen to music on iTunes, but rather use it to organize my music and iPods. I just now connected my iPod Nano 5G that I usually use to listen to iTunes. It doesn't allow the transfer of the Apple genius mixes you are speaking of... BUT I bought one of the newest tiny iPod Nano's for fun a few months ago and it DOES allow this transfer. Curiosity being what it is, I checked my iPhone and it does too! On a roll, I checked my iPad...Yess it does too!

Seems like older units don't support this feature. From my testing, iPhone 4G, iPod Nano 6G, iPad 1G do. Apple, like BMW is famous for new innovative features that don't get upgraded in last year's model. Good thing you can simply buy a new iPod easier than a new F10! Smart practice from a business model if you aren't worried about irritating your current customer base. I guess Apple and BMW aren't worried.

Paul

PS I guess I am outing myself as an Apple fanboy. I actually have and use two of the 16 GB Nano's that are shaped like a stick of gum. Not the current touch screen one's that are an inch square, but the version immediately before that. There were actually two versions of the gum stick Nano. The most recent one has a camera that shoots video and an internal speaker. That one, CAN copy the Genius mixes. I never noticed this because I prefer to add in my own genius mixes. I am going to sync one up and try it in my car to see if it will play there. If you don't have this feature on your iPod, creating your own playlist with the genius feature still works, at least on the iPods I have at hand to test.

PSS These genius mixes you refer to, while you can put them on some iPods, do not appear in my iDrive. The genius playlists YOU create and save can be dragged down into a folder. This works for me so I am happy. You should try making you own "Singer/songwriters" genius playlist by starting with your favorite singer/songwriter and see what pops up. I am certain the playlist will have a huge overlap with the one created entirely by iTunes since it is using the genius data and your music. PJ

smhoer
01-23-2011, 11:38 AM
I have gotten to the point where I rarely listen to a manually generated playlist but just select a genius playlist. I have over 4000 songs so it is almost like using Pandora. I was very disappointed when I realized the new Combox did not support genius mixes. I am hoping it will be updateable in March but not holding my breath based on BMW's past actions.

ksoze
01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Response from BMW UK regarding 6NF from an X3 board giving new hope to recent (Combox) owners:

Thank you for your online enquiry dated January 21, 2011.

I understand you would like confirmation on what hardware and software will be needed for the introduction of 6NR, mobile application preparation. I can confirm that this will be installed into your vehicle via a software update priced at £130.00 including VAT, with the BMW 1 Series Coupe and Convertibles being first on the release list. In order to have 6NR installed, your vehicle will need to also have the BMW Professional Multimedia Navigation system (option 609), Bluetooth telephone preparation (option 633), USB audio interface (option 6FL) and Telephone USB audio interface (option 6NF).

The new option further enable iPhone integration into the vehicle, available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. The iPhone is connected to the vehicle via a new snap-in adaptor, which will be available from the beginning of next month from the parts department at your local BMW Approved Dealership. Features of the option are enabled via a new iPhone application 'BMW Connected' that will be available to download from iTunes for free. Some confirmed supported features of the application are:

-Access to social networks Facebook and Twitter in the vehicle
-Stream web radio stations into the vehicle
-Operation of music playback with the Apple iPhone user interface on the vehicle control display

I trust this information answers your query satisfactorily. Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471395

anthony@empireleasing
01-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Isnt 6nr just a new ipod cradel eith a built in fan?

mzwicker
01-29-2011, 11:24 AM
It would be great to really know whether a post sept built 535 can be retro fitted with a software update.

It does not seem that one can get a straight answer from BMW. I don't understand why?

ksoze
01-30-2011, 07:45 AM
Updates data from recent dealer bulletin:

BMW ConnectedDrive: BMW Apps (6NR)

In keeping with BMW’s leadership in technological advancement, BMW is proud to announce the availability of “BMW Apps” as a single option (6NR). Coming as the next advancement in BMW’s ConnectedDrive strategy, BMW Apps will provide a new, unique way of connecting the driver, vehicle and iPhone. For the first time owners will be able to experience the latest app technology via iDrive. Please be advised that adding option 6NR to any vehicle will automatically add Smartphone Integration (6NF) without an additional charge. 6NF will no longer be available as a standalone option.

At the time of launch, BMW Apps will offer three functional areas (Apps, PlugIn, and Video Playback).

Apps will consist of the BMW Connected App and BMW Certified 3rd Party Apps. The BMW Connected App is a free package available for download at Apple’s App Store and currently includes Web Radio, Facebook and Twitter. Announcements for BMW Certified 3rd Party Apps will be forthcoming.

PlugIn allows the user to take advantage of Apple iTunes features (such as Genius, album art, compiling playlists, etc) that were previously unavailable. In essence, this function brings the look and feel of Apple’s iPod interface to the iDrive display (requires snap in adapter).

Video Playback enables the user to view any video playback from their iPhone via the iDrive display when the vehicle is stationary (requires snap in adapter).

BMW Apps will be available on all BMW vehicles as of March except for X3, X5, and X6 models, where availability will begin as of April. iPhone models supported include 3G, 3GS or 4 enabled with the “BMW Connected” app available free of charge at Apple’s App Store.

Kar Don
01-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Interesting info. Well my car is in production now and I added the 6NF. Still hoping some sort of software upgrade can be done

Titanflux
01-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Mmm slightly differing information to what we've had for the UK. We've had no mention of the video function that I know of, but I'm assuming that will come as part of it here too. But this explains the different iPhone 4 snap in assorted being sold on German websites. Standard, media (6NF) and video (6NF). Though this also makes me wonder if the iPod and video functions in this article are already part of post-COMBOX cars with 6NF even without 6NR. The confusion of BMW phone 6XX options!

Currently my order has 6NF @ £70 and 6NR @ £130. £200 GBP total. So what are they going to charge in the US for 6NR with 6NF free?

2001S15
01-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Wow thanks for the thread guys... I just ordered my car on Friday, read this this morning and rushed into the dealer, was able to delay my production by 3 weeks and have it built with this option. Awesome!

pcbrew
01-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Is the ipod touch supported?

Keppage
01-31-2011, 01:48 PM
I confirmed with my dealer that 6NR is now an option that can be added beginning with 3/8builds. I asked for him to check to see if 6NR will be a software upgrade (seems that way to me) to 6NF or additional hardware since there does not seem to be any confirmation yet. I am hopeful he can findout.

If it's hardware only I am considering moving back my production date and switching from buying to leasing to cover the 1.5k holiday credit loss. I know there are others in the same boat so if you here anything, please post.

Kar Don
01-31-2011, 08:51 PM
I am in the same boat with the holiday credit. My car just entered production in 152 status as of today. If I waited another 4-5 weeks to start production I'd essentially lose 2000 bucks between the holiday credit and the MSRP jump. I don't know if 6NR is worth the wait, that said I did switch my order at the last second to add 6NF.

ksoze
01-31-2011, 09:17 PM
I confirmed with my dealer that 6NR is now an option that can be added beginning with 3/8builds.

Did you mean to say Tuesday, March 8? Was under impression this was to be available for March production cars which would be Week 10, the previous week.

Keppage
01-31-2011, 09:30 PM
3/8/2011 is what my CA told me.

Titanflux
02-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Did you mean to say Tuesday, March 8? Was under impression this was to be available for March production cars which would be Week 10, the previous week.

I think week 10 is week commencing 7th March. For the UK at least, the changes are from the previous week, week 9.

ksoze
02-01-2011, 01:17 PM
I think week 10 is week commencing 7th March. For the UK at least, the changes are from the previous week, week 9.

I assume the weeks should be the same worldwide. Have not be able to firmly establish this years weeks - seems to be many versions from various people. I understood week 10 would be the week beginning Monday, February 27.

glindsey
02-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Any news on this being available as a software upgrade? My car finished production Feb 7 2011 and I'm assuming at the docs. Too late to change, but being a huge apple fan an my main means of listening to music, I will be a little pissed if this is not a software upgrade option. FWIW, my 1st BMW.

ksoze
02-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Any news on this being available as a software upgrade?

Unfortunately, a very reliable CA sponsor on the other board confirmed with BMW that 6NR will not be able to be retrofit capable for now. He also just posted that 6NR will not have an additional charge, although 6NF still appears needed. Since the 6NR is now showing up as orderable, we should see more info over next few days and weeks.

Kar Don
02-14-2011, 12:42 PM
ksoze, BMWUSA has said nothing official on retrofit or not... I have a contact there that is currently researching it and I have given him the data provided by John Brookes at BMW UK.

ksoze
02-14-2011, 01:12 PM
I realize BMWUSA has not released a formal announcement of a retrofit status, but have they ever formally announced backward compatibility? When the Combox was announced last fall, I do not remember them announcing it was not a retrofit in any formal releases.

The info I passed along was from a very reliable U.S. based CA who posts on the other board. It is simply another data point, all of which will only be ultimately solved when someone actually has their dealer offer a released software update.

I do not see BMW formally announcing which cars can get a new feature and which ones will not. Most cars will not if it can be a retrofit, as it is a small minority of cars sold in the last 6 months in the scheme of things and there is still a previously unhappy group from the Combox upgrade last time.

I do hope they will, just the data shifts and the latest was not as optimistic.

nyranger74
02-14-2011, 02:09 PM
There will probably be 3rd party retrofits just like the Combox.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

Kar Don
02-14-2011, 02:21 PM
well i hope ur dead wrong ksoze, lol.

mikeP123
02-14-2011, 03:26 PM
I picked up a 550 via ED on 1/28. I have the iPod USB adaptor that is part of Premium Package 2 and the Smartphone Integration option. I asked the gentleman who delivered my car to me if I could pick up a cradle for the iPhone4 while at the Welt. He immediately offered that in March BMW was going to introduce a new cradle that included the ability to watch videos on the nav screen and suggested I wait until then.

I don't know if this means pre-March cars (at least those post Sept) will be able to get these features via a new cradle and software update or not. Maybe so, maybe he's mistaken or maybe this is something else entirely. That's all he said and I didn't know to inquire any further at the time.

Here's to hoping.

glindsey
02-15-2011, 05:25 PM
well i hope ur dead wrong ksoze, lol.

+1....my 750 was built on 7 Feb 2011, it better be capable of handling the new features when released. I pick it up the first week of March or so.

As a side note/question.....am I understanding correctly that there is not a current Iphone 4 cradle/snap-in? If not, I am going to be pissed at my sales guy.

mzwicker
02-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Look at this, got this off another blog.

No hard documentation today but last week I sent all the information provided by BMW UK to BMWNA. I was contacted today via phone and told that the 6NR functionality will be available via software update at the dealer. Pricing and timing will be announced in the coming months he stated. Looking good for post september folks!

ksoze
02-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Look at this, got this off another blog.

That is from the same poster three posts up.

Kar Don
02-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Lol! I am on blogs now? BMW UK and BMWNA customer service are now both saying that the software can be update at the dealer.

sajison
02-17-2011, 10:05 AM
my service guy told my bro that it will indeed be available as a software upgrade for combox equipped vehicles. *fingers crossed*

Kar Don
02-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Looks like BMW is now saying retrofit is not possible according to the latest dealer bulletin.

mzwicker
02-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Looks like BMW is now saying retrofit is not possible according to the latest dealer bulletin.

For all pre march 5 series BMWs?

ksoze
02-20-2011, 12:52 PM
From latest dealer bulletin....This does not mean that may not be a retrofit one day, but they are now finally addressing it in their dealer communications. Will be interesting to see what makes it not retrofit capable.

nosnoop
02-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Will be interesting to see what makes it not retrofit capable

and why snap-in adapter is required and what extra connections it can possibly have over a Apple USB cable.

SafariKC
02-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Total guess....

I'm going to guess it is becuase the Apple "iPod Out"/BMW "PlugIn" technology actually uses both USB (for control) and Video out (for what it shows on the screen). I would guess that the new Media Snapin is required because it also has connectors from the apple Dock port for Video out. I would also gather that the Media Snapin only works in cars that are wired for Video out.. which was never actually wired.

As for the App's functionality.. that's crazy that they don't have a simple software upgrade for just that - and i suspect if anything will be retrofitted, it will be the Apps functionality.

I'm actually pretty dumfounded by the decission.. I've had a pretty pimped out 535xi GT on order and was assured that it would be retrofitted right away with 6NR at the dealership before i took delivery. It is literally on a boat on it's way here and now this news breaks.

The folks at the dealership are researching more for moe now with BMW NA, and perhaps the tune will change... but i doubt it. This is a total bummer for me, I had actually bought the car (as silly as it sounds that the car is just an iPhone accessory for me) specificly for the 6NR option.

When I learn more, i'll post something here.

Kar Don
02-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Please keep it updated. My car is also on the boat too or just offloading at VPC and share the same concerns. I'm also going to talk to my sales manager and ask him to talk to BMWNA

tim-atl
02-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Not sure if this has been posted in full and original form. If not, here it is (this is the North American announcement)

Tim

Ewymac
02-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Bollocks! I've missed out by 2 weeks, build feb! :cry:

nyranger74
02-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Well, I guess that makes it official, no retrofit!!!

SafariKC
02-23-2011, 08:54 AM
The dealership is still digging to figure out what to do for my order.

Luckily, back in January the General Manager had checked and it was planned to be a dealer offered upgrade feature at the time of my order. I had made them write 6NR must come with the car on the order form. At the time they assured me it wouldn't be a problem.

So I don't think i'll be taking delivery of the car that's currently on a boat in the Atlantic without the possibility of a retrofit. BMW is probably going to end up with a custom build on their lot for their complete lack of clear communication on this one. But it's a bummer that it looks like I probably won't have my 535xi until May at this point if the bulletin is truly right.

I'm slightly shocked that a company like BMW doesn't offer a bit better communication around this stuff. Is this normal? Or did they just totally goof this particular feature communication with the dealers? I'm also starting to get the feeling i'll be screwed when the iPhone 5 comes out anyways... with the historic rate they are turning out snapin adaptors :-)

KC

ksoze
02-23-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm slightly shocked that a company like BMW doesn't offer a bit better communication around this stuff. Is this normal? Or did they just totally goof this particular feature communication with the dealers?
KC

This is probably more the norm these days :(

When I first got an inkling of this upcoming option, my dealer warned me that in general, there is not a sure upgrade based on past history and that if I want it, I should wait. I think past upgrades bear this out - go back to last fall and look at the posts of those who missed the combox upgrade. It looks eerily like this event, just six month later. Those owners still feel left out, however third party retrofitters have offered some solutions.

I think BMW like many companies, feels the pressure to innovate even more now and the effort to bring along previous builds can slow down that pace. One would have hoped that with the advent of more software and firmware based systems, that this type of option would be retrofit capable. I suspect there are additional wired connections or actual hardware changes to the combox which leaves other behind.

As far as communication - that is an issue. The fact that it was so screwed up was possibly a clue however that this option may have an issue for an easy retrofit. The dealers are generally at the end of the loop and can only rely on what is written in their communications. The fact that a retrofit was never mentioned and ignored was a clue for most seasoned CA's.

tim-atl
02-23-2011, 09:24 AM
I hear your frustration but I'd blame a dealer wanting to move a car at any cost before I'd blame BMW's lack of communication. The dealer probably hated that you knew about 6NR because he couldn't, in actuality, guarantee you anything, yet he did. Hopefully, you'll speak with your wallet and buy at a different dealer if this doesn't work out.

Regardless, it's a ****ty situation and I feel your pain.

Tim

Sherman B
02-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Not sure if this has been posted in full and original form. If not, here it is (this is the North American announcement)

Tim

The part at the end is why I cancelled my order with my dealer. I'm very into my iPhone and all of the tech stuff. I'm going to wait and see what 2012 brings to the table. I'm very disappointed with BMW for changing the car so many times mid year!!! I feel bad for the people that bought the car when it first came out (pre combox). Shame on you BMW shame on you!!!

Kar Don
02-23-2011, 03:25 PM
SafariKC who is your dealer in the boston area?

conzone
02-24-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm with everyone else in the frustration and lack of communication. Though, I'm on the side that it's BMWs lack of communication to their dealers. Idk how it was everywhere else in the country though out here in SoCal I'd been asking dealers about the iPod Out and 6NR option since the end of July last year and even up through December I was being looked at by at like 'what are you talking about?'. I asked 5 different dealers out here in the area and nothing.

The dealers just all assumed that the current ipod integration was the new iPod Out because it showed album art, a partial upgrade. I had asked about 1/2 dozen reps at the BMW floor at the LA Auto Show this past year which their own announcements mentioned having a couple X vehicles equipped with the new iPod Out functionality on display which was completely invalid. They did have the new combox controller options on them but no iPod Out or ConnectedDrive....or if they did the BMW App hadn't even hit the iTunes Store yet so no one could demo it.

Mini did have iPod Out on display for Mini Connected though it only worked during press days cause the reps demoing had Mini Connected on their iPods which also wasn't released in the US store at that time. Thinking the new combox controller might have all the upgrades and we in the states were just lacking the app on our iphones I had actually changed my iphone account to be based in Europe several months ago, successfully d/l the Mini Connected app and tried it out at the dealer with no prevail so there was clearly something additional missing which will be in 6NR.

I'm also waiting on a definitive answer for post Sept builds and am also going to to be pretty frustrated if 6NR cannot be retrofitted. I'd held out several months on my order to make sure it would be able to get retrofitted and finally put the order in, in Dec when I was 99% confident the new builds would have all that's needed pending 6NR which sounded like just a paid add-on when released.

The announcement from the other day says it can't be retrofitted before 3/11 though I want to believe that it can be retrofitted for at least anything post Sept '10. That announcement says the needed options codes for 6NR are 609, 639, 6FL all of which are on my build :confused: . So, car finally made it to port today and should have in a few more days fingers crossed that come March the retrofit will be possible. Very anxious to get an answer.

tdepetra
02-24-2011, 06:12 AM
Let the technology dogs run. Overall better for BMW and better for us ultimately.

For my September build, I don't even care about 6NR anymore. I have a stupid BMW Connect app on my phone that I also have pretty much forgotten about. The other 99% of the car is fantastic after 9,700 trouble free, fun miles.

highyo
02-24-2011, 06:32 AM
For my September build, I don't even care about 6NR anymore. I have a stupid BMW Connect app on my phone that I also have pretty much forgotten about. The other 99% of the car is fantastic after 9,700 trouble free, fun miles.

i agree with this statement, what are we really missing? facebook updates? twitter feeds?

nyranger74
02-24-2011, 08:15 AM
I agree, the facebook and twitter are crap, but the Ipod out would be really cool. And the future apps might be good.

Sherman B
02-24-2011, 09:06 AM
i agree with this statement, what are we really missing? facebook updates? twitter feeds?

I disagree. This is just the beginning. I'm looking at what will be offered down the road with cars that have 6NR. The possibilities are endless!!! Look at what Apple has done with the iPhone, after the app store things really opened up for iPhone users. I think this will be the case for 6NR too.

johnbmw6
02-24-2011, 09:53 AM
+1 +2

highyo
02-24-2011, 10:37 AM
I disagree. This is just the beginning. I'm looking at what will be offered down the road with cars that have 6NR. The possibilities are endless!!! Look at what Apple has done with the iPhone, after the app store things really opened up for iPhone users. I think this will be the case for 6NR too.

that could be right. but knowing apple and the lead times for something like this, should line up well with a 2013 purchase...

Chpqdk
02-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Can I ask a simple question? I paid $150 for Smartphone Intergration on my Nov build 550i. To date BMW has still not produced a cradel for my iphone that will enable me to use what I paid for. Are we now at the stage with BMW where we get to buy things and before they can be made usable they become obsolete?

anthony@empireleasing
02-24-2011, 11:17 AM
the whole car is obsolete as ar at the 6nr and combox but we can all think of what we will buy down the line and when we get there go through the same thing...bmw screwed alot of us here and nobody seems to be annoyed and want to do anything... when you open the connected app it says connect via ycable, bt, or cradle...does anybody even bmw know how these things worked...because i am sure whn i called bmw they said the software could be updated to the car... do you get some not all features..nobody has an answer.

anthony@empireleasing
02-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Customer SVC just stated that there will be no retrofit...only march production will be able to get apps prep

SafariKC
02-24-2011, 12:42 PM
SafariKC who is your dealer in the boston area?

Sudbury

KC

Sophisto
02-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Come to rest.
Buy an Ipad.
And enjoy your BMW.
With or without the overated latest possibilities.
Coming october, there will be other trinkets on the market.
Happily we do not yet know which! :p:p:p

Sherman B
02-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Buying a used 2011 is going to suck... do you have the first iteration, the combox model, or the 6NR model!?!

pharding
02-25-2011, 04:16 AM
the whole car is obsolete as ar at the 6nr and combox but we can all think of what we will buy down the line and when we get there go through the same thing...bmw screwed alot of us here and nobody seems to be annoyed and want to do anything... when you open the connected app it says connect via ycable, bt, or cradle...does anybody even bmw know how these things worked...because i am sure whn i called bmw they said the software could be updated to the car... do you get some not all features..nobody has an answer.
That is a bit of an overstatement. If you really believe that the whole car is obsolete, then just get a horse. It is the only mode of transportation that will not change on a regular basis. Just lease one and join Horsefest.

gr8nrg
02-25-2011, 08:53 AM
come to rest.
Buy an ipad.
And enjoy your bmw.
With or without the overated latest possibilities.
Coming october, there will be other trinkets on the market.
Happily we do not yet know which! :p:p:p

+1

mzwicker
02-25-2011, 11:37 AM
I really don't get it. I thought that the whole idea behind the cambox was that it was going to be upgradeable? Huh.

ksoze
02-25-2011, 02:27 PM
I really don't get it. I thought that the whole idea behind the cambox was that it was going to be upgradeable? Huh.

I initially thought so also, then I re-examined the info on the BMW main web site related to upgradeability and also the Combox tech docs.

Most of the that upgrade focus seems to be on more easily adding new Bluetooth Profiles to allow new and upgraded phones to easier to integrate in the car. This will offer the ability for a user to download new BT profiles on USB sticks from the site and then load them onto the Combox. That is as far as it seems this user expandability seems to suggests, at least in the data I have seen.

The new 6NR functionality may add new non-software changes to combox or other hardware, as well as changes to the 6NF baseplate to allow the media functions part of the 6NR feature set. Until it gets into the hands of the retrofit guys who are used to tearing this stuff apart, the real answer of what actually changed may still be speculation and disappointment.

tim-atl
02-25-2011, 04:05 PM
If you are willing to enter the nerd zone (yes, I'm a full time member), there are ways to do some really neat things now. You can put just about any video on your display with an aftermarket multimedia interface. Some of the Android phones have HDMI out ports and I saw a hack to get similar functionality out of an iphone as long as you're willing to jailbreak.

Tim

darbyogill
02-25-2011, 07:28 PM

http://www.bytelove.com/images/uploads/Gadgets/gadgets/panic-button.jpg

ThreeI
02-25-2011, 11:22 PM
I just don't understand all the hoopla about the 6NR option. Don't get me wrong, I'm a gadget freak and I love all the newest technology but I mainly look for convenience and practicality. If something doesn't make life easier or is not practical, what is the use of having it.

As I understand it, in order to use the functions of the 6NR option, you have to connect your phone to the car via a cable or a snap-in adapter inside the center console. That means that when I get in my car I have to take my phone out of my pocket and connect it to my car and then disconnect it when I get out of my car. To much of a hassle for me. This is not making life easier, it is making it more difficult. The less I have to do while getting in and out my car the better. It would be way more convenient if it connected by bluetooth.

On the practical side, I have no use for Facebook or Twitter while I am driving. That is all we need is more people texting while driving. Another feature of the 6NR option is the ability to watch a video from your phone on the car display. This can only be done while the car is stationary. While I understand the purpose the car being stationary for safety concerns, (why is this not a concern for the use of Facebook & Twitter) I don't understand the purpose of it. Why would anybody want to watch a video while the car is stopped. It would either run down your battery or eat up gas while keeping the engine running and with the price of gas approaching $4.00 a gallon, it is not worth it. Don't they offer an rear seat entertainment system for watching videos while the car is in motion? That is more practical.

If you think about it, the cost of the 6NR option plus the cost of the snap-in adapter for the phone would be about the same cost for an iPad which would do everything listed above and then some without having to connect it to the car. The iPad has a far better screen for watching video than the car display and can also access the internet which the 6NR option can't.

While i'm sure there will be more apps for the 6NR option in the future but at this time I question if they will make anything more convenient or how practical they will be. How much more can you do in a car and still give your full attention to driving the car safely.

I think the main reason that most people are upset of not being able to retrofit the 6NR option is not because it may be something that would use but because they feel they have to have the latest and greatest of everything. They don't want to be outdone by someone else.

I think the "My BMW Remote" app for the iPhone is more convenient and practical but it will only work on the UK cars.

This is just my opinion.

Kar Don
02-26-2011, 12:26 AM
mybmw remote does work in the USA, do a search.

ThreeI
02-26-2011, 05:58 AM
mybmw remote does work in the USA, do a search.

I have downloaded the my bmw remote app to my phone but whenever I try to log on it gives me an error "No vehicles are saved to your account". Even the people who say they have it working indicate that not all of the features work.

jettie1767
02-26-2011, 09:06 AM
I have downloaded the my bmw remote app to my phone but whenever I try to log on it gives me an error "No vehicles are saved to your account". Even the people who say they have it working indicate that not all of the features work.

Same for me. Tried it last night and I always get that same message. Oh well....

SafariKC
02-26-2011, 03:06 PM
I just don't understand all the hoopla about the 6NR option. Don't get me wrong, I'm a gadget freak and I love all the newest technology but I mainly look for convenience and practicality. If something doesn't make life easier or is not practical, what is the use of having it.

This is just my opinion.

I totally understand that for some this isn't a big deal. For me - it is. I ordered the car specifically with the 6NR option for the iPod Out functionality and for the BMW Apps functionality. Looks like the dealer respected their pockets more than they respected my wishes for the features on the car... seeing that they went ahead and ordered it without the feature when the contact clearly said "must have 6NR". If BMW didn't announce availability of this feature - i wouldn't have picked "now" (January) to buy the car to get one of the first off the line with the feature built in (i was very clear that i was willing to wait).

Being able to control my iPad and iPhone iPod functionality with all the features that Apple implements for the car in the way apple intended is important to me. This is the big thing i care about. I'm a huge early adopter of Apple tech (iPad, iPhone, etc) and want to be able to play with things they throw out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj0SRzd40s4

The BMW/Mini Connected Apps thing is interesting to me as well - Pandora support is the thing that I know is coming/available - I use pandora everyday - and want to have in the car as well.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/mini-cooper-connected-with-pandora-drive-on/

I hate being distracted by having to look at and touch my phone as I'm driving - the more integrated it can be - the safer the world is around me.

For those of you who don't find it important.. great.. wanna buy a 535xi GT loaded that's at the Sudbury MA dealership? I'm happy to have you take it off my hands so i can re-order and get the stuff that matters to me come April when it's actually being put in cars. In my apple ecosystem - app driven world... this is a game changer that i want the pleasure of trying to integrate into my daily flow.

darbyogill
02-26-2011, 03:33 PM
If 6NR is really and truly your raison d'etre behind getting a BMW, I humbly submit that you will be sorely disappointed. This is just the sort of thing that BMW does really quite poorly, and needs a generation (or 3) to get straightened out. 6NR may give you some sort of an upgrade path into the future, but mark my words: it will be buggy, there will retrofits and reprogramming protocols, and it too will be eclipsed and rendered obsolete after just a short while. In the meantime I can assure you that Apple and BMW will be pointing fingers and blaming each other for why the technology doesn't deliver on the hype and promises. I only hope that somewhere, deep inside of you, you actually appreciate the amazing car that also happened to be included when you bought 6NR.

SafariKC
02-26-2011, 03:46 PM
I may be sorely disappointed.. but at least i'm getting what I want in a car that i'm paying quite a premium for. I'm an early adopter of lots of technologies and quite use to things not going the way they should with technology. But the nice thing about "iPod out" is that all of the computing is happening in the iPhone - so they can iterate pretty quickly there without much pain in the car itself. For the BMW apps - i agree it could be a nightmare... but it looks like a pretty simple framework for accessing the menu system. If it is - so be it. But at least i care enough to try.

More than anything ... i'm already pretty disappointed that my dealership may have lied to me and been down right shmarmy at the start of my relationship with what i hope to be an awesome car.

In any event... I'm glad you love your BMW to death regardless of the features you currently have. I'm sure when the next version of the car comes out i'll feel the same love for mine. Think about it this way... If i wanted to buy the latest iPhone - but wouldn't buy one now - i would buy one right after it came out to have the longest period of time with the cool new features they dream up before they are obsolete. That's what I do with my car purchases as well. I"m not going to buy something that is obsolete the day i buy it. I'm going to wait and buy something that's obsolete at some point in the future - i know it will be someday and probably in 6-8 months. Waiting isn't a problem for me at all. In fact i told them to wait until it was built into the car.. they ordered it ahead of time 'thinking' they could just retrofit it.

I'm sure if you bought a car custom car build as black and it showed up red instead you would understand the urge to send it back. For me.. with technology i feel the same way.. it's not that the 535 as is... is a bad car... it's a great car... you just had your heart set on something else and deserve the respect of the BMW dealership to get you exactly what you ordered. This is simply a bad sales experience... bad communication... and ultimately a bad customer service.. and BMW needs to understand that. I think that's the point of this thread for those of us who really want the feature.

KC

Sophisto
02-27-2011, 02:40 AM
Well KC you made your point.
It is clear to me you just do not get the point.
With or without 6NR the chance that you will be satisfied with the I incorporation with the vehicle will not be influenced enough.
So buy the car and fix your Ipad on the steeringwheel with the help of some velcron.
That will give you better integration than is to be expected from the carbuilder.

Chpqdk
02-27-2011, 03:55 AM
sophisto I think its you are missing the point SafariKC is clearly trying to make. What's important to him is important to him and just because it's not important to you doesn't make it irrelevant. But I guess, as he said, if you ordered a black car and the dealer gave you a red one you would just say thank you and live with it. Well not me!

tim-atl
02-27-2011, 05:52 AM
I've been trying not to post and let this thread die but hey we may approach legendary Dot status. :)

I agree with Safari (disclaimer: I'm a gadget addict as well), he clearly wanted 6NR, made this crystal clear to his dealer yet they completely let him down. I was in the same situation (wanting 6NR and 6WA) and I think I'm getting a week 9 build, I guess I'll know for sure at some point this week or next (we all know how quirky track my bmw can be). Personally, I feel for the guy - often this is the only place you can let out your frustrations and get any kind of consolation. Feel free to disagree with me but if you spend $50k+ of your hard earned money on a car, you deserve to get everything exactly the way you want it with no compromises. Doesn't matter if that "something" is 6NR or steering that doesn't grind at low speed.

Tim

Rafa
02-27-2011, 07:22 AM
I am not a gadget addict, but I agree with Safari. If he ordered his car to a set of specs, that is what he should get, period. The CA screwed up big time, perhaps willingly. It is Safari's G_d given right to be upset, complain and seek satisfaction.

taibanl
02-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Yep

I had on my order sheet "pending option choices" and the dealer put the order in anyway. I did NOT accept delivery of that car.

Ronsell
02-27-2011, 07:57 AM
If 6NR is really and truly your raison d'etre behind getting a BMW, I humbly submit that you will be sorely disappointed. This is just the sort of thing that BMW does really quite poorly, and needs a generation (or 3) to get straightened out. 6NR may give you some sort of an upgrade path into the future, but mark my words: it will be buggy, there will retrofits and reprogramming protocols, and it too will be eclipsed and rendered obsolete after just a short while. In the meantime I can assure you that Apple and BMW will be pointing fingers and blaming each other for why the technology doesn't deliver on the hype and promises. I only hope that somewhere, deep inside of you, you actually appreciate the amazing car that also happened to be included when you bought 6NR.

I agree with BMW needing two or three generations to get something straight. Look
how long it has taken to get a half-way decent iDrive--and it still has some quirks, IMO.
Having 6NR is not a big deal for me, but I can certainly understand why it is for others.
My main focus is just the "joy" of driving this remarkable automobile.

beashonda
02-27-2011, 08:20 AM
I may be sorely disappointed.. but at least i'm getting what I want in a car that i'm paying quite a premium for. I'm an early adopter of lots of technologies and quite use to things not going the way they should with technology. But the nice thing about "iPod out" is that all of the computing is happening in the iPhone - so they can iterate pretty quickly there without much pain in the car itself. For the BMW apps - i agree it could be a nightmare... but it looks like a pretty simple framework for accessing the menu system. If it is - so be it. But at least i care enough to try.

More than anything ... i'm already pretty disappointed that my dealership may have lied to me and been down right shmarmy at the start of my relationship with what i hope to be an awesome car.

In any event... I'm glad you love your BMW to death regardless of the features you currently have. I'm sure when the next version of the car comes out i'll feel the same love for mine. Think about it this way... If i wanted to buy the latest iPhone - but wouldn't buy one now - i would buy one right after it came out to have the longest period of time with the cool new features they dream up before they are obsolete. That's what I do with my car purchases as well. I"m not going to buy something that is obsolete the day i buy it. I'm going to wait and buy something that's obsolete at some point in the future - i know it will be someday and probably in 6-8 months. Waiting isn't a problem for me at all. In fact i told them to wait until it was built into the car.. they ordered it ahead of time 'thinking' they could just retrofit it.

I'm sure if you bought a car custom car build as black and it showed up red instead you would understand the urge to send it back. For me.. with technology i feel the same way.. it's not that the 535 as is... is a bad car... it's a great car... you just had your heart set on something else and deserve the respect of the BMW dealership to get you exactly what you ordered. This is simply a bad sales experience... bad communication... and ultimately a bad customer service.. and BMW needs to understand that. I think that's the point of this thread for those of us who really want the feature.

KC

Sigh:eek::eek::eek:

markl53
02-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Buying a used 2011 is going to suck... do you have the first iteration, the combox model, or the 6NR model!?!

Doubt it. Most buyers are not all that concerned with such trivia. They buy the car for its "soul", driving characteristics, cachet, whatever. We're not driving an iPhone, we're driving a car, IMO.

johnbmw6
02-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Doubt it. Most buyers are not all that concerned with such trivia. They buy the car for its "soul", driving characteristics, cachet, whatever. We're not driving an iPhone, we're driving a car, IMO.
+1 ................... iPhone!!!......... who cares.:dunno:

Sherman B
02-27-2011, 11:37 AM

KC

+1

I especially agree with if you wait for new technology and buy it you don't expect it to be obsolete just after you bring it home!!! I too am not buying the car just for 6NR but if i'm plunking down 80 large for a NEW car I expect it to be new technology for more than just a month or two. If BMW was planning on making all of these changes they should have waited till 2012 model year to do it.

ksoze
02-27-2011, 12:41 PM
If BMW was planning on making all of these changes they should have waited till 2012 model year to do it.

BMW and almost all other manufacturers make routine, incremental changes during a production year. This is common practice. That does put the responsibility of the consumer to stay current on these changes, either from a reliable dealer or places such as this board. If BMW waits to implement changes once a year, they will be trounced by others who are moving faster.

As far as this latest change, it was well known and dealers were also advised months ago. This board is full of threads which detailed this impending change and the possibility that a retrofit may not be possible. Don't forget this happened six months ago with the Combox upgrade, which left another lot of unhappy consumers who missed another incremental change in the service of moving the platform forward.

Like the computer industry, if you wait for the latest model, you will never buy. If you value tech, then unfortunately it is up to you to stay current and leap in when you feel that the value is there at that model point. Those with 6NR will be surpassed several times during the next several years, which needs to happen to keep the brand at the top.

Sophisto
02-27-2011, 02:44 PM
sophisto I think its you are missing the point SafariKC is clearly trying to make. What's important to him is important to him and just because it's not important to you doesn't make it irrelevant. But I guess, as he said, if you ordered a black car and the dealer gave you a red one you would just say thank you and live with it. Well not me!

I am with you.
Even the the Bmw organization should deliver what they promise.
Well, you might get a whee bit of disapointment.
My case;"
I miss a rather ancient thing like a sparewheel in my trunk.
For others its trinkets, like electronics not usable while driving.
And then.
Those with the 6NR and the 2 march released Ipad2 will miss other chorus.
Sh.t,

It happens...

Enjoy your BMW F.

And maybe buy some vecron.

Deejay Falco
04-26-2011, 12:23 AM
I totally understand that for some this isn't a big deal. For me - it is. I ordered the car specifically with the 6NR option for the iPod Out functionality and for the BMW Apps functionality. Looks like the dealer respected their pockets more than they respected my wishes for the features on the car... seeing that they went ahead and ordered it without the feature when the contact clearly said "must have 6NR". If BMW didn't announce availability of this feature - i wouldn't have picked "now" (January) to buy the car to get one of the first off the line with the feature built in (i was very clear that i was willing to wait).

Being able to control my iPad and iPhone iPod functionality with all the features that Apple implements for the car in the way apple intended is important to me. This is the big thing i care about. I'm a huge early adopter of Apple tech (iPad, iPhone, etc) and want to be able to play with things they throw out there.

The BMW/Mini Connected Apps thing is interesting to me as well - Pandora support is the thing that I know is coming/available - I use pandora everyday - and want to have in the car as well.

I hate being distracted by having to look at and touch my phone as I'm driving - the more integrated it can be - the safer the world is around me.

For those of you who don't find it important.. great.. wanna buy a 535xi GT loaded that's at the Sudbury MA dealership? I'm happy to have you take it off my hands so i can re-order and get the stuff that matters to me come April when it's actually being put in cars. In my apple ecosystem - app driven world... this is a game changer that i want the pleasure of trying to integrate into my daily flow.

I agree with you. I am F***KING furious bro, I bought this thing dec 2011

Deejay Falco
04-26-2011, 12:23 AM

I agree with you. I am F***KING furious bro, I bought this thing dec 2010

grizzles
04-26-2011, 04:39 AM
Does anyone know a retrofit or upgrade for 6nf post sept?

brilliantchef
04-26-2011, 05:20 AM
I agree with you. I am F***KING furious bro, I bought this thing dec 2010

I agree

elie06
04-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Does anyone know a retrofit or upgrade for 6nf post sept?

Don't lose hope !

There might some solutions :

1°/ BMW UK has stated that there will be a paying upgrade for post sept10 (combox) F10
They don't have any specific date but they say this will be a software upgrade.

2°/ 2 vendors are offering such a retrofit for the 3 series (E90) and they will have a version for the 5 series F10 in May. No idea on the price yet.

Kind regards,

Elie

apw2607
04-26-2011, 09:13 PM
BMW and almost all other manufacturers make routine, incremental changes during a production year. This is common practice. That does put the responsibility of the consumer to stay current on these changes, either from a reliable dealer or places such as this board. If BMW waits to implement changes once a year, they will be trounced by others who are moving faster.

As far as this latest change, it was well known and dealers were also advised months ago. This board is full of threads which detailed this impending change and the possibility that a retrofit may not be possible. Don't forget this happened six months ago with the Combox upgrade, which left another lot of unhappy consumers who missed another incremental change in the service of moving the platform forward.

Like the computer industry, if you wait for the latest model, you will never buy. If you value tech, then unfortunately it is up to you to stay current and leap in when you feel that the value is there at that model point. Those with 6NR will be surpassed several times during the next several years, which needs to happen to keep the brand at the top.

Yup. Completely agree with you. I never buy a car waiting for a piece of specific technology. Buy the car when you need it. I missed out on the CIC idrive twice ! Once on a 2008 m3 and secondly on a 2009 x5. No regrets. In time the CIC idrive will be a memory and we'll be all about the next generation. The same will hold for apps, combox, etc ...

sfiermon
04-28-2011, 04:18 PM
OK...what is the deal with this...retrofit or not? BMW authorized or third party people? Anyone have any links. My 535 was built in March 2011.

ict330xi
04-28-2011, 05:21 PM
before you get your panties in a bunch over not having 6nr. Get in a car with it and see what it actually does. I do have it and I do have the cradle. I prefer the USB connection to my iphone4 or ipod. I like the cars interface better over the Plug-in functionality. One of the reasons is that I can browse the playlist songs via the info screen. With the Plug-in I can just see the current song and only have advance and reverse as options on the info display-it doesnt show the next song...The other resaon I like the usb connection is that it will function with album art in Split Screen configuration. The plug in does not show album art in Split Screen, just the artist and song. There are also more movements of the idrive to navigate the itunes over Plug-in. All in all I give it a D+
The BMW apps are not that cool but pandora and sat radio is a novelty. Sound quality isnt that great since its streaming off of 3G.
Am I glad that I have 6nr...yes probably but only for future enhancements and that might not even come to pass. For what I paid for 6NR plus the $262 for the Media cradle there isnt too much value there. When is somebody going to sit in the car to watch video while in Park??????? Get a iPad and watch it while driving. I made a big deal out of making sure I got 6nr and my car was built the first week it was being installed. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

Kar Don
04-28-2011, 06:00 PM
before you get your panties in a bunch over not having 6nr. Get in a car with it and see what it actually does. I do have it and I do have the cradle. I prefer the USB connection to my iphone4 or ipod. I like the cars interface better over the Plug-in functionality. One of the reasons is that I can browse the playlist songs via the info screen. With the Plug-in I can just see the current song and only have advance and reverse as options on the info display-it doesnt show the next song...The other resaon I like the usb connection is that it will function with album art in Split Screen configuration. The plug in does not show album art in Split Screen, just the artist and song. There are also more movements of the idrive to navigate the itunes over Plug-in. All in all I give it a D+
The BMW apps are not that cool but pandora and sat radio is a novelty. Sound quality isnt that great since its streaming off of 3G.
Am I glad that I have 6nr...yes probably but only for future enhancements and that might not even come to pass. For what I paid for 6NR plus the $262 for the Media cradle there isnt too much value there. When is somebody going to sit in the car to watch video while in Park??????? Get a iPad and watch it while driving. I made a big deal out of making sure I got 6nr and my car was built the first week it was being installed. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

Lol this post makes me feel better haha. I actually also like the combox BMW iPod interface too. The only thing I like is the pandora app which can be used with the USB cable I believe?

ict330xi
04-28-2011, 06:05 PM
the Pandora does work via USB and quite well if you stay in town and have good 3G coverage

ThreeI
04-29-2011, 05:38 AM
the Pandora does work via USB and quite well if you stay in town and have good 3G coverage

Pandora (iPod, Napster, etc.) also works via bluetooth which IMO is better than having to attach a cable to the phone every time you get in and out of the car. This feature works without the 6NR option.

anthony@empireleasing
05-04-2011, 09:30 AM
They said at car show apps would not be retrofit and would fully work in 2012s with the new six being an early realese having full functionality. I dont even have a combox i have a pre sept build and bmw dropped the ball on all of this if the mini had this it should have been no problem to roll it out earlier

caesarp
05-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Pandora (iPod, Napster, etc.) also works via bluetooth which IMO is better than having to attach a cable to the phone every time you get in and out of the car. This feature works without the 6NR option.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pandora over Bluetooth does not display album art or any of the screen controls normally associated with Pandora. Should you wish to change the Pandora "station/channel", you would have to do it on your device while driving -- very dangerous.

Without 6NR, you get the audio over your speakers and that is pretty much it. No interface and no control.

stevem12t2
10-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Hello Everyone! I am proud to say that with the help of the guys at BimmerTech info@bimmer-tech.net, we have successfully retrofit my 2011 F10 (Late Sep 2011 Build) with the full 6NR integration.

I do NOT have an iPhone. I am using an iPod Touch 4th Gen 64GB. The device is jailbroken to allow for Cydia in order to purchase the 4.99 app iBluever with On Demand. The Blackberry Torch 9800 that I have uses PDANET enabling the Bluetooth DUN, turning off Bluetooth on the iPod and using iBluever to connect to the Blackberry using its own Bluetooth communication. When not in a Wi-Fi zone, iBluever takes over and automatically jumps on the 3G enabled Blackberry for internet connectivity. The blackberry will say Modem Enabled at the top and be fully tethered to the iPod without pressing any buttons on either device. Once they are paired and On Demand is enabled in iBluever the rest is automatic. The connection also drops if the iPod senses or reaches a Wi-Fi area automatically. The apps below (that even require internet connectivity such as Pandora) never skip a beat during the switch over form Wi-Fi to 3G from the Berry and back to Wi-Fi.

:confused0068: Turning off the car the iPod is paused on whatever it is playing then getting out of the car and taking the blackberry with me the Bluetooth connection will eventually drop from the iPod, then returning to the car BT is auto-connected and iBluever On Demand brings up the 3G connection to the iPod once again. Then starting the car the iPod resumes right where it left off.

I also have this Blackberry connected to the car for Audio and Phone capabilities. A call pauses the iPod and hanging up resumes as you would expect. Also the Blackberry can handle the Bluetooth DUN connection to the iPod and the car at the same time for different services of course. The services for the Car from the Blackberry are Audio Sync, email messages, phonebook, calls etc. while the Bluetooth DUN connection enables for simply modem capabilities for the iPod. Therefore both Bluetooth devices can be connected to the Berry at the same time. :thumsup:

For those of you that want the flexibility of having the Full Office integration into the car, the Blackberry is the way to go here. It also allows for running your SlackerRadio, iHeartRadio, YouTube videos, Nobex radio and so on via Bluetooth audio. The iPod then handles the BMW Apps, web radio, music collections, video collections, and full iDrive compatible Pandora streaming without having to plug in and out your iPhone constantly when getting in and out of the car every day. Simply leave the iPod connected. Take your Berry and go, then return again for some more!!! :happyanim:

A quick email to Patryk with the VIN allowed him to generate a quote and provide me with the information needed to perform this retrofit.
I took a visit to the dealer for a software update (** BUT THE GUYS AT BimmerTech CAN NOW ALSO DO THIS REMOTELY NOW!!!**) as my current CIC software was as build in mid September 2010. An upgrade request to March 2011 was requested as it was believed to be that the basic iPod integration of my car would be fixed. (If playing an iPod playlist, turning off the car, leaving, returning to the car, the playlist continued on the last song played however looking at the list of music yielded improper results for track names and list. A jog over to "Current Playlist" brought the proper info over but was a bug. I explained that a CIC software update to March 2011 software would fix the problem). The issue remained but the software was now in accordance for the retrofit
Patryk Promptly sent the required usb module, cabling and instructions.
I completed the install from the information he provided and was a snap. Took about 3 hours of my time to install because i was very cautious, spent time cleaning and interest got me curious at several things on the way.
Patryk remotely coded the vehicle enabling the 6NR integration in no time at all, disabled the NAV warning screen every time starting the car, and coding the side mirrors to fold upon a 2-3 second hold of the lock button. A simple hold of the lock button just locks the doors and if desired a hold will fold up the mirrors and unfold the moment the car is unlocked. In my case by grabbing for the handle the car unlocks and mirrors unfold with the keyless option.

Launching the BMW remote app (Free from Apple iTunes Store) will allow in ConnectedDrive to display Facebook, Twitter, Web Radio, and Calendar (Default calendar on iPod/iPhone will be displayed here. Not all Calendars on the device).

Launching Pandora from the iPod/iPhone will display the Pandora App in the same ConnectedDrive menu. Thumb up/down songs, set favorites, browse your stations etc.

From the ConnectedDrive menu you can also choose a much more user friendly view of the device called BMW Plugin. Plugin has some very nice features such as a quick playlist shuffle, use of your genius mixes, playlists, podcasts, and so on. A very nice feature is simply holding down the iDrive knob on any song playing in the current playback to show options for Artist, and best of all starting a new Genius mix from that song. Simply find a song for your mood and then hold down the iDrive knob and select start genius and you've got a new playlist of tunes similar to that one...

If you want to play video, goto CD external devices and find your cradled iPod icon (With Patryks retrofit NO CRADLE IS REQUIRED>>>ALL of these functions are enabled from the USB/Video jack that was replaced from the old USB/Aux module) select the video from the dropdown and find your content... podcasts, music videos, downloaded movies, or TV shows, etc.

Patryk, I can't thank you enough for making all of this happen, especially since a Retrofit is said to be not possible from BMW for Cars produced prior to march for the F10 and April for the X6.

Again no serious equipment is needed to be installed for those vehicles from Mid-September 2010 and onward. The Combox, CIC and all needed parts are their if you have the required options. If not Patryk can get you there as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rtVxmRHotM

moe4ever
10-04-2011, 02:42 PM
This is good news, I cant wait to do this. I am sure BMW will come up with a retrofit sometime soon when they realize they are losing money to third parties but am not interested. Now if only we can get a solution to the Nav problems.

grizzles
10-04-2011, 10:03 PM
So I don't need any hardware for post sept build?

stevem12t2
10-05-2011, 05:33 AM
So I don't need any hardware for post sept build?

You need to swap a cable for the post sept build, a software update, and BimmerTech to code the vehicle for the new option(s).

grizzles
01-03-2012, 06:08 PM
What cable do I need to swap?

Kar Don
01-03-2012, 08:27 PM
You need to swap a cable for the post sept build, a software update, and BimmerTech to code the vehicle for the new option(s).

Steve, I am also in Boston.. My car has 6NF does yours? Would you mind letting me know how much it cost you? Thanks!

Technic
01-04-2012, 02:43 AM
FYI: there will be an OEM 6NR retrofit thru dealers by the end of the month. The only requirement is for the car to have 6NF installed.

For those cars without 6NF then BimmerTech 6NR retrofit will be the only possibility.

mzwicker
01-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Do you have any idea as to the cost?

Technic
01-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Do you have any idea as to the cost?

Ask your local dealer, as price will vary.

salamigs
01-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Technic,

What is your source indicating that the OEM retrofit being available for 6NR? And you meant to say the price will vary from dealer to dealer, or from car to car depending on the options?

Thanks.

Technic
01-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Technic,

What is your source indicating that the OEM retrofit being available for 6NR? And you meant to say the price will vary from dealer to dealer, or from car to car depending on the options?

Thanks.

There was an OEM bulletin announcing the availability of the 6NR OEM retrofit -with the requirement that the car must have 6NF- published sometime just before Christmas. I have not seen a bulletin with an OEM 6NF retrofit, but it can be done (hardware) and it can be coded (software) into the car by aftermarket vendors or DIY with the right tools. So it could be possible to have the 6NR retrofitted by the dealer even without the 6NF from factory. I do not think that a dealer can code 6NF in a non-factory-installed 6NF-car, but they can install it if you throw enough money at them.

Your local dealer can show the 6NR retrofit bulletin to you.

A new set of 6NR enabling codes (FSC) is required -it was not a requirement before this announcement- and I do not know the exact price as it seems that they were not ready at the time of the announcement. I think that they became available yesterday, but I do not know the price.

Each dealer will set their own labor (coding) cost plus the cost of the FSC, so prices will vary.

Technic
01-05-2012, 05:19 PM
FYI: the new 6NR FSC work in non-factory-installed 6NF (baseplate) cars when retrofitting BMW Apps: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11096842#post11096842

This activation was performed by aftermarket vendor BimmerTech. Your local dealer should be more than capable of activating BMW Apps with the new FSC (VIN-dependent) without the requirement of the 6NF.

Again, prices are set by dealer.

mzwicker
01-07-2012, 07:31 AM
FYI: the new 6NR FSC work in non-factory-installed 6NF (baseplate) cars when retrofitting BMW Apps: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11096842#post11096842

This activation was performed by aftermarket vendor BimmerTech. Your local dealer should be more than capable of activating BMW Apps with the new FSC (VIN-dependent) without the requirement of the 6NF.

Again, prices are set by dealer.

I am in the New Hampshire area and I have called two different dealers who have told me there is no such retro fit. Do you know the bulletin number

Technic
01-07-2012, 08:17 AM
I am in the New Hampshire area and I have called two different dealers who have told me there is no such retro fit. Do you know the bulletin number
No, sorry... they have to do a search in the retrofit section in the Dealers Net system and they will find it.

grizzles
01-07-2012, 09:30 PM
No, sorry... they have to do a search in the retrofit section in the Dealers Net system and they will find it.

Can someone post the bulletin? I need closure.

Oslo
01-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Can someone post the bulletin? I need closure.

Here is the EU part nbr. if that can help you: 65 90 2 219 127. But it is dependent of the production date of the car, and equipment installed.

salamigs
01-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Part number? Wasn't it advertised as just a coding retrofit?

Oslo
01-08-2012, 01:10 AM
As I understand it, coding only is for cars produced after March 11. Again, this is for EU cars.

Technic
01-08-2012, 06:07 AM
Part number? Wasn't it advertised as just a coding retrofit?

OEM retrofits always have a P/N.

grizzles
01-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Part number doesn't show up in parts search

Technic
01-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Part number doesn't show up in parts search

That's an Euro part so it seems that the US part is different, therefore it is not going to show up in the US database.

grizzles
01-08-2012, 07:10 PM
That's an Euro part so it seems that the US part is different, therefore it is not going to show up in the US database.

i checked both euro and us

grizzles
01-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Checked with dealer not possible.

Fredaow
04-13-2013, 06:11 AM
Hello Everyone! I am proud to say that with the help of the guys at BimmerTech info@bimmer-tech.net, we have successfully retrofit my 2011 F10 (Late Sep 2011 Build) with the full 6NR integration.

I do NOT have an iPhone. I am using an iPod Touch 4th Gen 64GB. The device is jailbroken to allow for Cydia in order to purchase the 4.99 app iBluever with On Demand. The Blackberry Torch 9800 that I have uses PDANET enabling the Bluetooth DUN, turning off Bluetooth on the iPod and using iBluever to connect to the Blackberry using its own Bluetooth communication. When not in a Wi-Fi zone, iBluever takes over and automatically jumps on the 3G enabled Blackberry for internet connectivity. The blackberry will say Modem Enabled at the top and be fully tethered to the iPod without pressing any buttons on either device. Once they are paired and On Demand is enabled in iBluever the rest is automatic. The connection also drops if the iPod senses or reaches a Wi-Fi area automatically. The apps below (that even require internet connectivity such as Pandora) never skip a beat during the switch over form Wi-Fi to 3G from the Berry and back to Wi-Fi.

:confused0068: Turning off the car the iPod is paused on whatever it is playing then getting out of the car and taking the blackberry with me the Bluetooth connection will eventually drop from the iPod, then returning to the car BT is auto-connected and iBluever On Demand brings up the 3G connection to the iPod once again. Then starting the car the iPod resumes right where it left off.

I also have this Blackberry connected to the car for Audio and Phone capabilities. A call pauses the iPod and hanging up resumes as you would expect. Also the Blackberry can handle the Bluetooth DUN connection to the iPod and the car at the same time for different services of course. The services for the Car from the Blackberry are Audio Sync, email messages, phonebook, calls etc. while the Bluetooth DUN connection enables for simply modem capabilities for the iPod. Therefore both Bluetooth devices can be connected to the Berry at the same time. :thumsup:

For those of you that want the flexibility of having the Full Office integration into the car, the Blackberry is the way to go here. It also allows for running your SlackerRadio, iHeartRadio, YouTube videos, Nobex radio and so on via Bluetooth audio. The iPod then handles the BMW Apps, web radio, music collections, video collections, and full iDrive compatible Pandora streaming without having to plug in and out your iPhone constantly when getting in and out of the car every day. Simply leave the iPod connected. Take your Berry and go, then return again for some more!!! :happyanim:

A quick email to Patryk with the VIN allowed him to generate a quote and provide me with the information needed to perform this retrofit.
I took a visit to the dealer for a software update (** BUT THE GUYS AT BimmerTech CAN NOW ALSO DO THIS REMOTELY NOW!!!**) as my current CIC software was as build in mid September 2010. An upgrade request to March 2011 was requested as it was believed to be that the basic iPod integration of my car would be fixed. (If playing an iPod playlist, turning off the car, leaving, returning to the car, the playlist continued on the last song played however looking at the list of music yielded improper results for track names and list. A jog over to "Current Playlist" brought the proper info over but was a bug. I explained that a CIC software update to March 2011 software would fix the problem). The issue remained but the software was now in accordance for the retrofit
Patryk Promptly sent the required usb module, cabling and instructions.
I completed the install from the information he provided and was a snap. Took about 3 hours of my time to install because i was very cautious, spent time cleaning and interest got me curious at several things on the way.
Patryk remotely coded the vehicle enabling the 6NR integration in no time at all, disabled the NAV warning screen every time starting the car, and coding the side mirrors to fold upon a 2-3 second hold of the lock button. A simple hold of the lock button just locks the doors and if desired a hold will fold up the mirrors and unfold the moment the car is unlocked. In my case by grabbing for the handle the car unlocks and mirrors unfold with the keyless option.

Launching the BMW remote app (Free from Apple iTunes Store) will allow in ConnectedDrive to display Facebook, Twitter, Web Radio, and Calendar (Default calendar on iPod/iPhone will be displayed here. Not all Calendars on the device).

Launching Pandora from the iPod/iPhone will display the Pandora App in the same ConnectedDrive menu. Thumb up/down songs, set favorites, browse your stations etc.

From the ConnectedDrive menu you can also choose a much more user friendly view of the device called BMW Plugin. Plugin has some very nice features such as a quick playlist shuffle, use of your genius mixes, playlists, podcasts, and so on. A very nice feature is simply holding down the iDrive knob on any song playing in the current playback to show options for Artist, and best of all starting a new Genius mix from that song. Simply find a song for your mood and then hold down the iDrive knob and select start genius and you've got a new playlist of tunes similar to that one...

If you want to play video, goto CD external devices and find your cradled iPod icon (With Patryks retrofit NO CRADLE IS REQUIRED>>>ALL of these functions are enabled from the USB/Video jack that was replaced from the old USB/Aux module) select the video from the dropdown and find your content... podcasts, music videos, downloaded movies, or TV shows, etc.

Patryk, I can't thank you enough for making all of this happen, especially since a Retrofit is said to be not possible from BMW for Cars produced prior to march for the F10 and April for the X6.

Again no serious equipment is needed to be installed for those vehicles from Mid-September 2010 and onward. The Combox, CIC and all needed parts are their if you have the required options. If not Patryk can get you there as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rtVxmRHotM

Hi,

I'm in the process of having it done but I'm totally lost and Patryk is away for a few more days I believe. I did - or I believe I did - what Patryk told me to do to prepare the car but i don't know if I did it right. Is the AUX port still usable after the retrofit? There was some rewiring involved and I don't know if I picked the correct wires.

Would someone mind describing to me exactly how it was done for them: wires moved from the old round connector or from the old flat connector to the new flat connector (the one that goes between the new USB/AVIN plug and the CIC). Thanks, Help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

Fredaow
04-13-2013, 06:19 AM
Hi all,

I'm in the process of doing the 6NR retrofit on my Feb 2012 535xDA F11 through Bimmertech. I followed Partyk's instructions - or I believe I did. Patryk is very patient but I believe he is away for a few days so I'm looking for some confirmation if what I did is right. First of all: is the AUX port expected to be functional after the retrofit? The reason why I'm asking is that I am confused between the AUX connector and the USB connector? Which is which? The flat one or the round one?
After following Patryk's instuctions (and before coding), my AUX port is functional but my USB port is useless (the one in the glove box too). It's not recognized (greyed out on the CIC screen and it's not even charging.

Is it because I moved the plug on the combox as indicated by Patryk and the plug I am now using has to be enabled for me to have USB again?

Thanks for you help.

Fred

Technic
04-13-2013, 07:07 AM
The AUX port after the 6NR retrofit becomes a Video/AUX (analog audio) port.

The center armrest USB port will be the 6NR USB port.

The glovebox USB port is only used to up/download music into the CIC HDD for that model year. It has nothing to do with the 6NR.

You should wait until BimmerTech returns for more detailed information about your particular install. :thumbup:

Hi all,

I'm in the process of doing the 6NR retrofit on my Feb 2012 535xDA F11 through Bimmertech. I followed Partyk's instructions - or I believe I did. Patryk is very patient but I believe he is away for a few days so I'm looking for some confirmation if what I did is right. First of all: is the AUX port expected to be functional after the retrofit? The reason why I'm asking is that I am confused between the AUX connector and the USB connector? Which is which? The flat one or the round one?
After following Patryk's instuctions (and before coding), my AUX port is functional but my USB port is useless (the one in the glove box too). It's not recognized (greyed out on the CIC screen and it's not even charging.

Is it because I moved the plug on the combox as indicated by Patryk and the plug I am now using has to be enabled for me to have USB again?

Thanks for you help.

Fred

Fredaow
04-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Thanks for your answer. My AUX is working so it might be better than I feared. I'm so anxious to find out if I screwed up...

The AUX port after the 6NR retrofit becomes a Video/AUX (analog audio) port.

The center armrest USB port will be the 6NR USB port.

The glovebox USB port is only used to up/download music into the CIC HDD for that model year. It has nothing to do with the 6NR.

You should wait until BimmerTech returns for more detailed information about your particular install. :thumbup:

grizzles
06-05-2013, 05:01 AM
i connected the glovebox end but the HU end has some of the wire connections already filled. it says go to the next available spot. anyone know what that should be?