PDA

View Full Version : First year F10

Sherman B
01-21-2011, 10:34 AM
First of all by reading all of your posts it seems that most of you really really love your car. So with that in mind here is my question. With some of the problems that have plagued this car does your satisfaction with owning a first-year model car outweigh the problems with owning a first-year car. At this point of time would you order a 2011 car or wait for a 2012 car? Also, taking into consideration that the diesels will be out in 2012? Please elaborate.

TJPark01
01-21-2011, 12:39 PM
You're assuming that these "problems" are inherent in the F10. Reading these blogs will make you feel like every BMW is ready to undergo huge mechanical failures. Only people who have problems post them to find solutions. The car may be a first year in the US, but it's been out in europe for over a year. There's just no way to guarantee that you'll get a car that's trouble free. It's luck of the draw. If you don't need a car right away, waiting is always a good idea. If you have your heart set on a diesel, then I would definitely wait. But if you are waiting for the perfect car, or the perfect woman or the perfect time to have a kid or buy a house. You're gonna end up dead waiting around, cause there's no such thing.

tdepetra
01-21-2011, 04:28 PM
First of all by reading all of your posts it seems that most of you really really love your car. So with that in mind here is my question. With some of the problems that have plagued this car does your satisfaction with owning a first-year model car outweigh the problems with owning a first-year car. At this point of time would you order a 2011 car or wait for a 2012 car? Also, taking into consideration that the diesels will be out in 2012? Please elaborate.

Satisfaction - 100%
Defects - none
Enjoying life - priceless.
I agree with TJPark01

brott
01-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Satisfaction - 100%
Defects - none
Enjoying life - priceless.
I agree with TJPark01

+1 :thumbup:

Sherman B
01-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys for the comments. Anyone else care to chime in.

bmwarchitect
01-21-2011, 05:26 PM

I had a car on order for an April ED delivery and have cancelled the order. I have some faith that BMW will sort this problem out and despite the pain some of the posters have gone through, one or two with the worst of the problems have had a positive resolution (solstice). My reason for cancelling was that my plans for going to Europe are not based on buying the car, and the wait for the solution has impacted my ability to plan. I have regrettably decided to wait till 2012 as I don't need the car. My biggest concern has been that a definitive solution has not yet been provided by BMW. The other posts are true in that even waiting till the next model year offers no guarantees. I remain optimistic and plan on buying another BMW 5 unless a great deal is available on another BMW. M3 is tempting, but the 5 is a great all around design and I will painfully wait.

GoBluBeemer
01-21-2011, 05:39 PM
535xi with 2500 miles and still grinning ear to ear during my commute and errands. Can't wait for golf season to have my cake and eat it too.

TJPark01
01-21-2011, 06:06 PM
I had a car on order for an April ED delivery and have cancelled the order.
Your post doesn't mention what problem you're talking about?

bmwarchitect
01-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Your post doesn't mention what problem you're talking about?

The grinding noise assoicated when steering at low speeds. I have been following this since October.

TJPark01
01-21-2011, 06:12 PM
The grinding noise assoicated when steering at low speeds. I have been following this since October.
Do all of F10's suffer from this ailment or should I consider myself blessed?

bmwarchitect
01-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Do all of F10's suffer from this ailment or should I consider myself blessed?

From what I have read on the thread "steering noise with grinding sensation" the answer would be no. It seems to be mostly limited to those cars equiped with the Dynamic Handling Package, and apparently not all have exhibited the problem. If you are interested I would read the thread.

TJPark01
01-21-2011, 06:26 PM
From what I have read on the thread "steering noise with grinding sensation" the answer would be no. It seems to be mostly limited to those cars equiped with the Dynamic Handling Package, and apparently not all have exhibited the problem. If you are interested I would read the thread.

I have the Dynamic Handling package. And I've read the very long thread, but stopped reading it a while ago as it doesn't apply to me. My point is, you're taking isolated incidents and applying them to the entire base, which is actually human nature, so I don't blame you. You can't take anecdotal evidence and then extrapolate that to the entire product without knowing how many cars out of the entire lot suffer from this problem. It's basically impossible to do as only BMW has that data. If it was so problematic they would issue a TSB. However, due to the N54 problem and BMW's poor history of reliability I don't blame you for waiting a year, especially if you don't need a car. I didn't have that choice so I had to kinda just hope for the best.

bmwarchitect
01-21-2011, 06:51 PM
I have the Dynamic Handling package. And I've read the very long thread, but stopped reading it a while ago as it doesn't apply to me. My point is, you're taking isolated incidents and applying them to the entire base, which is actually human nature, so I don't blame you. You can't take anecdotal evidence and then extrapolate that to the entire product without knowing how many cars out of the entire lot suffer from this problem. It's basically impossible to do as only BMW has that data. If it was so problematic they would issue a TSB. However, due to the N54 problem and BMW's poor history of reliability I don't blame you for waiting a year, especially if you don't need a car. I didn't have that choice so I had to kinda just hope for the best.

Agree with you, that isolated incidents, particulary in a venue that collects them by design, may not present an accurate picture. I had conversations with my CA that this problem also has existed on the 5 GT. I have been a somewhat suprised at the slow resolution however, particularily if this is the case. As the problem has not been noticed for some after over 1000 miles, I expect there are many more out there who have it who do not frequent this forum. The bimmerpost forum has another group who have the problem as well. Waiting has the downside that I will likely pay more for the car the longer I wait. In the end if I did get a car with the issue, knowing that I could have waited would have been a bigger disappointement. I plan on buying and keeping the car for some years. I have had relatively few problems with my X5 and expect the same from the next BMW. I am giving BMW the best opportunity to meet my expections while they sort this out. I am glad to hear that you and others are enjoying their cars and I hope to join the 5'er owners soon.

JoeRoadster
01-21-2011, 08:58 PM
But if you are waiting for the perfect car, or the perfect woman or the perfect time to have a kid or buy a house. You're gonna end up dead waiting around, cause there's no such thing.

My wife would disagree ;)

pharding
01-21-2011, 09:20 PM
My June build 550i has been problem free. I am very happy with the build quality. From my perspective there is nothing to be gained by waiting.

Sherman B
01-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Again, thanks for the comments. I know I'm looking too far into the situation but down the road 3-5 years when I sell it to buy a new car do you think that the 2011s will be black balled because of this problem with the grinding noise when steering or being a first model year car. If during that time you were looking for a used one would you be more inclined to skip the 2011 and buy a 2012 or newer to avoid these problems. Sorry, am I making sense here.

Most likely I will be buying a 2011 and maybe I'm just being too analytical about the whole situation. I know that I will be happy it's just that when you are spending this kinda money on a car you want to do things right.

bmwarchitect
01-22-2011, 04:48 AM
Again, thanks for the comments. I know I'm looking too far into the situation but down the road 3-5 years when I sell it to buy a new car do you think that the 2011s will be black balled because of this problem with the grinding noise when steering or being a first model year car. If during that time you were looking for a used one would you be more inclined to skip the 2011 and buy a 2012 or newer to avoid these problems. Sorry, am I making sense here.

Most likely I will be buying a 2011 and maybe I'm just being too analytical about the whole situation. I know that I will be happy it's just that when you are spending this kinda money on a car you want to do things right.

If the problem is solved relatively soon I would expect not, as everyone appears to be extremely satisfied with the car and the build quality in general.

ssj
01-22-2011, 07:58 AM
I have a F10 535xi - no dhp - drives like a charm. Does make a 1 sec tsk sound when making a slow right turn once every other day. I have no regrets and am very happy. I chose not wait for the 2020 F16 555 that glides on a cushion of air at mach20.

TJPark01
01-22-2011, 10:34 AM

Yeh you're being too analytical, but with good cause. I plan on keeping this car for the long haul. If you plan on selling this car 3-5 years it will most likely still be in the warranty period, and will still retain strong resale value. People will still be looking for a 2011 vs a 2012, mostly because the supply will be larger and they will be less expensive than a 2012.

Rafa
01-22-2011, 11:01 AM
I am proud to own a first year sixth generation 5 series BMW. In the future, I am sure that the 2011 F10 will become as much of a classic as a mass production car can be.

johnbmw6
01-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Car: 2011 (January) 550i M Sport.
Faults: NONE
Pleasure: 100%
Regrets: NONE
Would I swap it?: NO