PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh... so that's what sex on wheels is like

phoenix73
01-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Finally got to drive the new 550ix Msport for a while today. Granted, the roads are icy and not well plowed from the storm yesterday.

I traded in a 2008 corvette for this car because I was tired of garaging 2 cars all winter. (I have a restored/modified 1973 corvette as well)

In my minimal seat time so far, here are my observations:

The interior quality leaves everything else that I have owned in the dust. (Honda minivan for the kids, Chevy trucks, Acuras and the corvettes). It's like an adult car when all of the others are toys with snap together parts.

Coming from the vette, one of my complaints was the sound proofing of the interior. I loved the sound of the big V8, but with the windows up and top on, I had to shout to talk to the person in the passenger seat. There was no bluetooth in the vette and the stock audio and navigation was a joke, so I replaced it with aftermarket equipment just to get it usable. The premium audio and idrive in the 5 is again like a mature system, not just an audio system to fulfill the criteria. The bluetooth audio and phone are crystal clear as is the ipod link with cover art.

The seats are infinitely more comfortable with many more positioning options. The HVAC is much better, stronger and quicker to stabilize. The car just feels classy and makes me feel like I should dress up just to get inside her.

So far, what I can say about the ride is that she has less power to the wheels than the corvette, but I can access all of it at any time. I have not stepped on it since I have a while to go with the break-in period, but the 8 speed automatic allows me to get power instantly without having to watch my redline to time my shifts.

It was as sure footed on the ice as I could expect without snow tires, but at least I can drive it in the snow and ice, unlike my corvettes. I'll drive my truck still in the deep stuff.

I plan to get a lot of seat time this weekend and will post my impressions and photos.

Just had to get the grin off my face and post my initial impression. I am so glad that I traded in the corvette for this and not the panamera or Lexus.:D:D

highyo
01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Great review, kinda gross title! Enjoy!

dunderhi
01-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Congrats, and yes your title is a little misleading, but coming from a Vette owner...:rofl:

Sherman B
01-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Very cool. I cant wait to get mine.