PDA

View Full Version : 550i DME Needs to be replaced!

98bmw540
01-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Looking for comments or advice on what to look out for. 2011 550i Sport with dynamic handling, active steering, 6k miles. First engine control light came on, but all systems were saying OK. Indy mechanic indicated there were a number of fault codes and # 8 cylinder true running values were way out wack. Dealer took a look and replaced fuel injector. Within 2 miles of the dealership, began getting Dynamic Handling Malfunction and Active Steering Malfunction. Dealer was stumped for 2 days, finally brought in regional BMW field engineer. Their solution is to replace the entire DME and re-program the car. DME won't arrive for 5 days. Any suggestions as I work through this with dealer service? Since I am not mechanically inclined want to get as much input as possible to ensure the best outcome. Any thoughts are appreciated.

98bmw540
02-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Car has been is service for 20 straight days now. Replaced fuel injector, spark plug, DME, alternator, oil level sensor with no success. Should I initiate a ****back? Any advice would be appreciated

Needsdecaf
02-07-2011, 01:15 PM
At this point, you're pretty close to lemon law. I would honestly buyback. These types of random electrical gremlins can haunt a car forever.

1HOT BMR
02-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Car has been is service for 20 straight days now. Replaced fuel injector, spark plug, DME, alternator, oil level sensor with no success. Should I initiate a ****back? Any advice would be appreciated

I assume you meant out of service for 20 days. If so, as soon as you qualify I would start the lemon law procedures to get a buy back. You will lose money in the process but it beats having to deal with a troublesome car for years to come. In my experience, once the "techs" start guessing and continue to guess there is really no end to it all.