PDA

View Full Version : tire insurance

bfv
01-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Can I buy tire and wheel insurance from a dealer other than my own dealer? He's offering some third party insurance requiring pre-authorization....I don't want to get into that headache and I am sure his quote for BMW insurance will be astronomical figure as he wants to sell me a third party insurance.

pharding
01-21-2011, 06:09 PM
I assume so but you need to do it prior to delivery.

olneymd
01-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Purchased a 3 yr, $5,000 max coverage tire/wheel insurance policy from First Automotive. It was purchased at a different dealer than I purchased the car (Robin at Flow BMW). $629

My dealer quoted me $899 for a similar 3rd party policy through Fidelity.

bfv
01-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Purchased a 3 yr, $5,000 max coverage tire/wheel insurance policy from First Automotive. It was purchased at a different dealer than I purchased the car (Robin at Flow BMW). $629

My dealer quoted me $899 for a similar 3rd party policy through Fidelity.

Do you require to obtain pre-authorization? how much of a headache is it?

olneymd
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Yes, you do have to have pre-authorization. Given the cost of the tires/wheels (especially low profile run flats), I'm willing to put up with some hassles.

bfv
01-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Yes, you do have to have pre-authorization. Given the cost of the tires/wheels (especially low profile run flats), I'm willing to put up with some hassles.

But, that means a possibility of leaving the car at the dealer for a day or two! back to riding bus/subway?!!:mad:

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-21-2011, 08:03 PM
I suggest looking into and buying the tire & rim insurance offered directly by BMW (not the dealer and not a third party company). This insurance is offered at the dealership at the time your accept delivery of your vehicle and close your deal. IMO, the insurance offered by the manufacturer of the vehicle (BMW) is the way to go.