PDA

View Full Version : First automotive tire/wheel insurance- Suggestions pleas!

bfv
01-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Hi,

Considering BMW Vs. First automotive tire/wheel insurance for 2011 528i (17" all-season run flats). I think BMW will be $1500 for 3 years and First automotive for $650. I am undecided on First automotive due to following reasons:

1) First automotive is a third party insurance.
2) It requires pre-authorization.

How painful is pre-authorization? Do we need to keep the car at dealer for 1-2 days while waiting for pre-authorization?

Please provide your suggestions.

Thank you.

5fix
01-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Be very careful. Even BMW tire and wheel insurance is underwritten by a third party. Look at the brochure, it will identify the insurance underwriter. I encourage you to do a simple Google search on the underwriter. You will find many complaints from people with denied claims. Most tire and rim insurance only pays if the tire will not hold air. So, bubbled side walls and dented rims are not covered. Understand the exact coverage before you buy.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-22-2011, 05:19 PM
I do not think that you need tire insurance. The 17 inch rims do not use low profile tires. Therefore, you do not have the concerns/risks associated with rims that are 18 inches or larger, which do use low profile tires. If you do go with the tire insurance in any event, I would go with the insurance offered directly by BMW.

eyesight1
01-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Save your $$. If you have an issue it will most likely not cost as much as the insurance. If you do have a catastrophe then you will have had your $$ working for you in your bank account rather than the insurance company's.

SANguru
01-22-2011, 07:51 PM
I disagree with some of the comments here. I had BMW (yes it's 3rd party) tire and rim insurance on my E60 535i. 2 bent rims and bubbles on the Dunlops from hitting potholes (yes, CA has roads like 3rd world countries) and both times, they replaced the entire rim and tire combo very quickly with no fuss. It paid for itself. It amortizes into the lease and discounted and between that and the windshield insurance, it came out to $8 a month more on a lease payment.

I included both for my 550i and it was $12 more a month.

bfv
01-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Sanguru,

Who's ur dealer giving 12/month = $432 insurance on a 550i wheels/tires? I am reading $1500 for 3 yrs. across this site. Even my dealer quoted $900/3 yr from a 3rd party carrier. You can pm me if you like.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Bimmer App