PDA

View Full Version : Our new 535i...the story

Needsdecaf
01-22-2011, 02:59 PM
I've been a Volvo owner since 2004. when I first got married and I "inherited" a 2001 Gen 1 S40. In 2005, I bought a slightly used 2004 V70R. For those of you not familiar with Volvo's V70R, it is one of the all time sleepers. Here's a wagon big enough to haul a boat load of stuff that also hauls serious a**. 2.5L inline 5, KKK-K24 turbo running 14 psi of boost (stock), 300 HP, 295 ft-lbs of torque, standard AWD, 4 piston Brembos on all corners and a top speed of 165 MPH. All in a wagon body that is seriously handsome but no one gives a second look to...until it blows by you.

However, the time came to replace the VR. It had over 100k miles and was getting tired, and I of it. It was our family car until my wife's MDX came in to replace our old Pathfinder in 2007. Now we had a car that could haul our family of 4 on the 5 hour plus road trips we regularly take. The replacement for the VR could now go back to a sedan large enough for us to take on a trip that didn't involve an insane amount of gear.

Nothing in Volvo's current range really fitted what we wanted to replace the R with. I highly considered a V70 R Design about a year or so ago, but even with the upgraded 6 cylinder, it was still too slow and I disliked the FWD feeling. The XC60 really caught my attention. Great lines, good packaging, fun to drive....but an SUV. We really, really didn't want another SUV since we already have the MDX. But I was really holding out hope on the new S60....until I sat in one. I'm not exactly the smallest guy (6'2", 250) and I have headroom issues with a lot of cars, and the S60 is one of them. Plus with two kids and all their crap, it just wasn't big enough to serve us for the long trips we take. I tried a current S80 (leftover V8 executive, very nice) but it just didn't scream "buy me".

I've driven a bunch of B8 S4's and loved the car, especially the prospect of returning to a MT...but it suffers the same fate as the S60...too small for us as a whole. Plus, in reality, living in DC is a crappy environment for an MT car when you're driving as much as I do.

I drove an outgoing A6 and while it's nice, it just wasn't doing it for me...plus it lacked headroom. Nice engine though. Drove a previous gen A8...again, nice but I don't like the old school tech and the V8 mileage.... Driven several Q5's...nice, but again, an SUV. The new X3 is nice....but again, an SUV and also it still looks vaguely like a sneaker. Let's see, what else. Drove the new 9-5. Not bad, but a little cheap inside. Didn't really boil my water. Hell, i've considered most mid-sized sedans and Q5-sized SUV's, even an X5 35d (could be the MDX replacement, one hell of a vehicle). But nothing could compare, in my mind and as the car for us, to the F10 535.

Immediately upon seeing the F10 5 series, I was smitten. The looks, the size, the gizmos, etc. Yes, this was the spiritual successor to my Dad's 1989 735i. Big, comfy, handled like no one's business. A great family car.

So I've been keeping an eye on the market for a while. Been watching the CPO's like a hawk, and almost pulled the trigger on a new one this winter with the holiday cash back and $300 over invoice deals. But between the time of the year, the fact that our daughter is still in a rear facing seat (meaning my wife's legroom is seriously compromised) we held off. The original plan was to buy one whenever the next promotion was after May (daughter turns 1 and turns around). Until I found a CPO car sitting in Richmond, VA.

Yes, only 1.5 hours away (our previous two cars have been 3-5 hours distant purchases) sat a 2011 535i, Dark Graphite Metallic on Oyster / Black interior (my favorite color combo) that is pretty well equipped...even by BMW standards. It's not insanely optioned...no HUD, night vision, top view camera or active cruise, but it has most else...Nappa, P1, P2, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Convenience, Sport, Dynamic Handling and Active Ventilated Seat packages. Pretty much all the goodies you'd want in a modern luxo-cruiser. 7,100 miles, owned by the wife of a local CEO. CPO to 100k miles, or June 2016.

The price as advertised was pretty good. First negotiation dropped the price even further. Initial trade in value was on the low side, but after my "final price" offer which included a drop in the sales price and a real value for my trade, they met it. At that price, I had to buy the car. The price was just too good to pass up.

Convinced the CFO last weekend that this was the car that I wanted, the one that would cause me to stop nagging her, and the one that I would kick myself from walking away from for years. Put down a phone deposit last Saturday without having seen the car. On Monday, my son and I were off to check it out as he was out of daycare and I had daddy duty. Car is immaculate, with only one small blemish (door trim is kind of dirty around the handle, just needs a good cleaning). Suffered from the "pull to the right" syndrome. No DHP grinding. The dealer fixed the pull to the right and this morning we went down to pick it up.

The drive down was bittersweet. The Volvo had served us well, and been a great family car, even as we had outgrown it for larger trips. It still worked well for smaller (read non-holiday, or weekend only) trips. Still nothing touches the seats, and you have to love everything that makes a V70R special. But the ride was harsh (still) the lightly modded exhaust was loud, the turbo lag had become tiresome and the 5 speed auto was past it's prime. Not slipping, but not so positive any longer. The 5 speeder in the MDX was better in comparison, which is scary.

Note to self...do not bring children to buy the next car. As good as they were, they added a lot of stress to the process. I'm amazed that we didn't leave anything there, and the only thing we forgot to bring was the spare key and valet key. As it was, there was so much to do when we got there that we kind of really didn't have time to linger over the R. It was all we could do to keep both kids from self-destructing while getting all the paperwork done. The good thing was that the F&I guy was so distracted from the kids he forgot to ask me for the check for my down payment. I fessed up and reminded him....don't need the PoPo pulling me over on the way home!

The ride home was a revelation. Quiet, smooth, and comfortable. Car pulls like a freight train with 300 HP and an instantly-shifting 8 speed auto trans (strangely, the car did not have the sport auto trans with paddle shifters). Even with the suspension set in Sport, the ride was fine, but I found Normal to be good, well controlled, with not too much float. The steering is lighter than BMW's in the past, but the software upgrade to the EPS has rendered it much better. My only complaint was the iDrive is going to take a while to figure it out. I can navigate my way around, but can't get everything tailored the way I want it (meaning displays, options, etc.) despite pouring over the digital version of the manual for months. Time will sort it out quickly. But in the meantime, over 90 miles were dispatched in just over an hour and 20 minutes, averaging 69 MPH and 26.5 MPG on the way. Not freaking bad.

I'm gonna love this car, I think. Which I should, since the CFO is gonna make me keep it a long time. I'll miss the R. I don't think anything will ever make me forget it. It was such a unique car and there will never likely be anything like it again...unless I can figure out how to swing an E63 wagon, LOL. The BMW was the next logical step and the love affair has already begun.

(oh yeah, no dot!!!)

Pics...

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z301/jtacchino/P1220132.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z301/jtacchino/P1220129.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z301/jtacchino/P1220126.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z301/jtacchino/P1220124.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z301/jtacchino/P1220134.jpg

Pics of the R.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z301/jtacchino/Volvo%20Detail%208-23-09/IMG_3646.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z301/jtacchino/Volvo%20Detail%208-23-09/IMG_3648.jpg

highyo
01-22-2011, 03:28 PM
wonderful story, welcome aboard! those Rs are sneaky fast, but me thinks you will love your F10 more. now let's see if she gets to 100,000.

congratulations!

laser
01-22-2011, 03:28 PM
A big congrats on a great car ....... a man after my own heart ....... I would have loved to find a low mileage CPO but couldn't wait when I saw the first F10!

One thing for sure - you have more knowledge about the F10 than 99.99% of the buyers out there today! :thumbup:

Sherman B
01-22-2011, 05:05 PM
WOW!!!! Great story. I laughed and cried. Congrats on your new ride.

Needsdecaf
01-22-2011, 05:20 PM
now let's see if she gets to 100,000.

The only question is when.

We used to average about 20k / year when we lived in NY. Once we moved to NoVA, we're down quite a bit.

I am still trying to wrap my head around 93,000 freaking miles of warranty! Drive with total peace of mind!

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Congratulations on the purchase of your F10. I am sure that your Vovlo was a great car, but the 535 has something magical about it and I am sure that it is going to provide you with a lot of great driving experiences (even without the dot!!!).

eyesight1
01-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. As a new BMW owner myself I understand your enthusiasim for the new 5er. I believe we will keep them for along time.

SANguru
01-22-2011, 10:41 PM
congrats! great color combo. Enjoy in good health.

markl53
01-22-2011, 10:59 PM
OK, so now I see what happened. I answered your other thread about iDrive while out at dinner tonight. I didn't understand how you all of a sudden are an F10 owner! Congratulations -- you'll love it.

Hoss NY
01-23-2011, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the story and pics. Enjoy.

tim-atl
01-23-2011, 05:31 AM
No dot??? Take it back!!!

Just kidding, congrats!
Tim

tdepetra
01-23-2011, 05:49 AM
Beautiful! I don't believe you'll have any regrets. Sorry they shorted you on the dot.

Rafa
01-23-2011, 07:24 AM
That's quite a story! A most unique way to the F10. I enjoyed your post thoroughly and I'm looking forward to reading your comments and observations down the line.

Great color combo! Of course, I'm partial to it. Enjoy your car!

beashonda
01-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Congrats. Also looking forward to enjoying your posts and impressions. Happy and Safe driving!