PDA

View Full Version : Troubles playing CD-Rs inserted while the car is moving?

Spectre
01-28-2004, 06:20 PM
This one has me really puzzled. I've been listening to audio books while commuting to and from work. Some of these come on CD-Rs (usually green in color). If I insert a new CD-R from the set while the car is in motion, the drive never manages to lock onto the first track and nothing plays. If I leave the CD player on during the day or overnight, and then start the car, the disc plays.

I thought the problem might be related to the player having troubles with cheap CD-Rs, particularly in synching up in a moving environment, but I've also turned off my car at a stop light and then turned it back on with no luck. How could it possibly need to be turned off for hours at a time before it can handle the next CD-R? :dunno:

Anyone else seen this behavior or have a workaround?

SWM3
01-29-2004, 09:39 PM
I am just as puzzled with my one week old 04 M3, with Nav, playing factory CDs. It plays my Pimsleur language course CDs but does not like Willie Nelson or Tom Petty (the only 2 music CDs I have tried so far).

Willie Nelson loaded but showed no track #s and the steering wheel buttons and head unit buttons had no effect. I parked the car for 15 minutes and upon start-up, Willie was singing his heart out. Tom Petty wouldn't sing until my NAV got out of the "not in digitized area" and the map appeared.

I'm afraid both incidents are just victims of chance and the player is just no good and has to be replaced. I came across your post by doing a search to see if there is a secret "play" button when a CD is first inserted. I am going to try and find a Service Bulletin on this and will let you know if I find out something.

Spectre
01-30-2004, 10:22 AM
I see something similar: "CD TR" but no number on the nav display. Shutting down for a minute doesn't seem to do a thing, but I'll bet 15 minutes would do it -- isn't the time it takes for the car to turn off retained power in the windows and other devices?

jw
01-30-2004, 10:31 AM
'01 330i w/ HK and CD changer. I've never had a problem playing any CD-Rs. :dunno:

ObD
01-31-2004, 02:18 PM
I have used TDK and Kodak CD-R's without a problem. I'd suggest copying one of your troubling CD's to a TDK CD-R and see if the problem goes away. Not all CD lasers are created equal and some have trouble with some CD-R's. I recommend TDK or Taiyo Yuden.

ObD
01-31-2004, 02:27 PM
How could it possibly need to be turned off for hours at a time before it can handle the next CD-R?

Temperature. It can affect the CD laser and/or CD-R. As you play a CD, the temperature of both rises.

Spectre
02-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Temperature. It can affect the CD laser and/or CD-R. As you play a CD, the temperature of both rises.The problem looks like it goes away within 15 minutes. And it doesn't happen with pressed CD's.I have used TDK and Kodak CD-R's without a problem. I'd suggest copying one of your troubling CD's to a TDK CD-R and see if the problem goes away. Not all CD lasers are created equal and some have trouble with some CD-R's. I recommend TDK or Taiyo Yuden.I'll give another CD-R a try -- got to see about finding some TDKs. Thanks for the tip.