PDA

View Full Version : iDrive Questions

Needsdecaf
01-22-2011, 05:47 PM
I've had the car for a whole 12 hours and already screwed it up, LOL.

I turned on split screen on the nav and selected "North facing up map". However, now I can't select anything else! When I toggle right and select the right hand map, I don't get the "split screen selection" or whatever it is. I only get the scale selection.

Also, I had another question: is there any way to get the map to "pop up" arrows? On my other cars, the map would pop up the intersection description on top of the map. I know you can get it to pop up under the speedo...but I even have issues with that. It won't go away! It pops up there randomly (like 6 miles before the exit) and when I try to select another display (temp, time, date, etc.), it just keeps popping back up.

I've RTFM a bunch of times, and tried to play with it to no avail.

Arrrrgh....:mad:

eyesight1
01-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Not quite sure I follow. We switch from split screen to full without problem. Try pushing the "menu" button on the console in front of the i drove. I may reset and let you access the rest of the stuff.

Needsdecaf
01-22-2011, 06:39 PM
I can turn split screen on and off. But I can no longer select what's displayed on the right hand split screen.

markl53
01-22-2011, 08:04 PM
I can turn split screen on and off. But I can no longer select what's displayed on the right hand split screen.

Don't select the map type on the right screen, uncheck that. You select the direction type from the direction icon along the left side of the main map. It cycles through north, travel direction, perspective, etc. It's the 2nd icon from the bottom.

I didn't know you were getting your F10 now, did I miss something?!? I thought you were still in investigation mode.

markl53
01-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Also, I had another question: is there any way to get the map to "pop up" arrows? On my other cars, the map would pop up the intersection description on top of the map. I know you can get it to pop up under the speedo...but I even have issues with that. It won't go away! It pops up there randomly (like 6 miles before the exit) and when I try to select another display (temp, time, date, etc.), it just keeps popping back up.

When I scroll through the dash displays (near the speedo), the arrow view is just one choice. If I move away from that, like miles till empty or whatever, the arrows don't come back. If you mean they pop up on the split right screen, there is a check box for that. Then they only show up for major highway splits and exits. I use it and it overrides my entertainment info which I usually have on the right side. If you still mean the speedo/tach area, not sure why the arrows would come back on their own. When selected, it shows the arrow stuff all the time.

eyesight1
01-23-2011, 05:48 AM
In my car the arrows and lane info along with a cute bar graph indicating how far it is to a turn or exit or something the Nav wants yo to do pops up by the speedo and tach about 1 mile or so prior to the point of execution.

Needsdecaf
01-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Don't select the map type on the right screen, uncheck that. You select the direction type from the direction icon along the left side of the main map. It cycles through north, travel direction, perspective, etc. It's the 2nd icon from the bottom.

I didn't know you were getting your F10 now, did I miss something?!? I thought you were still in investigation mode.

Yup..you found the other thread.

I understand what you're saying above, but that's not the problem. I can still cycle the three map types, but I want to change the secondary screen to something other than map...like entertainment, etc. I know that before, when I had entertainment on, if I toggled right, the first thing that happened was a pop up looking box came up toward the bottom of the secondary screen that said "split screen content" or something like that.

I figured out how to do it using the voice commands, so I'm good now. But not sure what happened.

Needsdecaf
01-23-2011, 09:02 AM
When I scroll through the dash displays (near the speedo), the arrow view is just one choice. If I move away from that, like miles till empty or whatever, the arrows don't come back. If you mean they pop up on the split right screen, there is a check box for that. Then they only show up for major highway splits and exits. I use it and it overrides my entertainment info which I usually have on the right side. If you still mean the speedo/tach area, not sure why the arrows would come back on their own. When selected, it shows the arrow stuff all the time.

I'm not sure either. I'll have to figure it out. But driving home on 95 North from Richmond yesterday, It would pop up with exit information somewhere like 5-6 miles before the exit. If I pressed the display scroll button and put it over to miles to empty or distance to destination, about 5 seconds later, the arrow would pop up again.

Kind of annoying.

Needsdecaf
01-24-2011, 11:55 AM
OK, the issue with the dash nav is still driving me nuts. Most of the time when I turn it off, it turns itself back on. To the point where after I got to my destination and it cleared itself out, the dash had an arrow that kept pointing to where it had my destination and was telling me I was 600' away, as I was driving circles around the property. Quite annoying.

For the moment I have it turned off as I have the split screen on and the exit info is popping up there (will it do that with the split screen turned off?). But I would really like it to properly work. Am I doing something wrong?

markl53
01-24-2011, 02:18 PM
OK, the issue with the dash nav is still driving me nuts. Most of the time when I turn it off, it turns itself back on. To the point where after I got to my destination and it cleared itself out, the dash had an arrow that kept pointing to where it had my destination and was telling me I was 600' away, as I was driving circles around the property. Quite annoying.

For the moment I have it turned off as I have the split screen on and the exit info is popping up there (will it do that with the split screen turned off?). But I would really like it to properly work. Am I doing something wrong?

I usually turn off the nav on the way to work shortly before I arrive. At that point, I usually have my "small" dash readout set to fuel range. When I get to work, the arrow is back on the small display. I don't remember when it actually re-appears, I usually notice it just before I'm going to shut off the engine. But from your other comment the other day, I never see the arrow keep coming back while driving with Nav engaged if I set the small dash display to something else. In guidance mode, I usually have that set to ETA. Tell you the truth, I almost always turn off the guidance mode before I actually reach my destination so I don't know exactly how it behaves once I get there. Still, the arrow view does not keep coming back.

I've been wondering whether the split info for exits would pop up without being in split screen mode, I usually have entertainment info there. I've thought of trying it but never did.

Zathris
01-24-2011, 04:46 PM
to change the split screen (small portion) you push the iDrive controller to that side and press the iDrive controller down. You'll get the option of displaying the entertainment information then. This also took me a moment to find after I first set it. :)

-Zathris

jhbarc
01-24-2011, 04:57 PM
If you highlight the split screen area and hit the options button you can select what info you want displayed. You can have entertainment as the primary split screen and also have the exit/ramp info pop up as needed.