PDA

View Full Version : First 1000 mile impressions of 535i X drive

eyesight1
01-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Well, it has been a week since the fabulous Performance Center Delivery and after driving home and a week of daily driving we have just about the 1200 mile break in period accomplished. See this thread for a description of the delivery at PC.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512942

Car is Deep Sea Blue Metallic with Beige Dakota and Light Wood. Sport Package, Dynamic Handling, Cold Weather and Premium 1 Packages, Sirius, Nav, and Park Distance.

The following are our impressions with some suggestions for BMW to follow through on.

First, no problems to report. No pulling to the right, no grinding noise or sensation on slow turning, Knock wood, all systems seem perfect.

Second - the car drives absolutely wonderfully. Smooth shifting the turbo allows smooth acceleration without perceptible lag. Gas mileage is mid to high 20's with a mix of mostly highway and some city. The highway miles were erratic as I constantly shifted gears, handling characteristics and speed to do a proper break in with variable RPM.

The switch from comfort, to normal, and sport absolutely changes the feel of the car. I love it. Sport Plus is the same as Sport except for less electronic handling control in Sport Plus. I think I remember that it maintains traction control, but turns off the yaw control.

Interior is the best I have ever owned. Fit and finish is super with first rate materials. The seats are also the best I have ever had. It takes a bit to get them just right, but long drives are easy. I am amazed at how fast they heat up.

Xenon lights are a must have and are awesome. We live in a rural area so lighting up the night is important to avoid deer and such.

I find the I drive to be relatively easy. There are a lot of options so it takes a bit to learn where everything is, but it works intuitively.

Both our cell phones synced contacts and Blue tooth without problem.

I am sure there are other things I am leaving out, but the car is so complicated that I am still learning things about it.

Now for a few minor nits. I wish the seat memory would allow me to move my seat back on exit and then go to "my position" when I unlock the door. It seems to only go to the last position. Now I can push the button on the door to get it right, but my old Caddy and my Vette do this better.

I agree with the previous thread about the automatic headlights coming on when they shouldn't. I don't know where the sensor is and if there is an adjustment, but in bright Sun the headlights seem to come on or stay on needlessly.

All in all a great car worthy of all the accolades it has received from others and a great car for anyone to own.

Preliminary pictures attached.

bfv
01-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Great! Congratulations!

Ian_C
01-23-2011, 04:15 AM
I feel the same. The car just gets better and better.:thumbup:

tdepetra
01-23-2011, 05:09 AM
I feel the same. The car just gets better and better.:thumbup:

I'm saying the same thing at 8,000 miles. Solid, unflappable, fast, smooth.

OP - enjoy! Congratulations.

TJPark01
01-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Nice pictures. You and the wife (assume) are rocking some sweet sweaters.

Needsdecaf
01-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Enjoy!

Is that Deep Sea Blue or Imperial (looks like DSB to me).

eyesight1
01-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Nice pictures. You and the wife (assume) are rocking some sweet sweaters.

Yup! Wife of almost 43 years!!! Fortunately we like the same things so buying the BMW was a mutual decision.

eyesight1
01-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Enjoy!

Is that Deep Sea Blue or Imperial (looks like DSB to me).

Deep Sea Blue Metalic. Thanks Needsdecaf for pointing out that in my haste I did not get the post correct. :eek: I fixed it.

TJPark01
01-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Yup! Wife of almost 43 years!!! Fortunately we like the same things so buying the BMW was a mutual decision.

Having common interest is huge. Enjoying BMW's is a good one to have. My mom who is 60 sat in the car for the first time and said "What the heck is going on here? It looks like the space shuttle in here." The shifter alone gave her a head ache.

eyesight1
01-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Having common interest is huge. Enjoying BMW's is a good one to have. My mom who is 60 sat in the car for the first time and said "What the heck is going on here? It looks like the space shuttle in here." The shifter alone gave her a head ache.

Go ahead make us feel "OLD". We are both 63 and feel pretty modern. We are into cars, high level photography and we travel all over the world. Take your mom for a spin at speed and teach her how to drive your "Space Shuttle" and she will learn.:thumbup:

beashonda
01-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Go ahead make us feel "OLD". We are both 63 and feel pretty modern. We are into cars, high level photography and we travel all over the world. Take your mom for a spin at speed and teach her how to drive your "Space Shuttle" and she will learn.:thumbup:

Sweet. I recently got to 1300mi on my 2011 535 x drive (option kinda similar to yours) and it is a pleasure to get behind the wheel every day. During the blizzard in Dec 2010, I had to take it out for a spin. LOL