PDA

View Full Version : Lease End and CPO 2008 328xi

janewb
01-23-2011, 06:03 AM
I have a 2008 328xi with about 48k miles on it. My lease ends in March. I went to the dealer yesterday - to have maintenance and to talk to them about lease-end options. I am almost sure I am going to buy the car.

The dealer explained the purchase process to me. He went over all of the numbers, etc., including sales tax, last lease payment, He said certification would be $2000 and explained a little bit about what it covered and what it didn't cover. He made sure to tell me it was not simply an extension of the current warranty. He also said as part of the certification, they would fix everything that needed fixing and would detail the car. He implied that certification is REQUIRED.

Service told me the car needed brakes, which were replaced (front and back) under the original warranty. They also told me I needed tires which would be around $1100. I opted not to purchase the tires yet.

I guess my questions are: what does the certification really include? Would new tires be included in that? Is certification required? Why would they need the car for one week?

Thanks!

P.S. - Any way to get around the Sales Tax? In CT, when I purchased/leased the car, I paid the whole sales tax upfront on the purchase price. Now when I buy the car, I have to pay the sales tax on the new purchase price?

manutdx
01-23-2011, 07:58 PM
1. I highly doubt new tires will be added but with that being said, when I bought my CPO car it came with new tires and the dealer said new tires were part of the CPO program so you may get that. Check with the dealer

2. You probably only paid the sales tax on the total value of the lease (not the entire value of the vehicle) so you probably have to pay the tax on the remaining amount if you purchase the car.

3. Wether or not you buy it will depend on the buyout costs vs other CPO cars available in your area. If it is a good deal for your car (slightly high mileage for the years) then go for it. If not, you may want to look for a car with less miles on the clock.

pony_trekker
01-25-2011, 04:37 AM
I have a 2008 328xi with about 48k miles on it. My lease ends in March. I went to the dealer yesterday - to have maintenance and to talk to them about lease-end options. I am almost sure I am going to buy the car.

The dealer explained the purchase process to me. He went over all of the numbers, etc., including sales tax, last lease payment, He said certification would be $2000 and explained a little bit about what it covered and what it didn't cover. He made sure to tell me it was not simply an extension of the current warranty. He also said as part of the certification, they would fix everything that needed fixing and would detail the car. He implied that certification is REQUIRED.

It isn't required but some consider 2 grand well spent.
Service told me the car needed brakes, which were replaced (front and back) under the original warranty. They also told me I needed tires which would be around $1100. I opted not to purchase the tires yet.

I guess my questions are: what does the certification really include? Would new tires be included in that? Is certification required? Why would they need the car for one week?

Tires aren't included.

P.S. - Any way to get around the Sales Tax? In CT, when I purchased/leased the car, I paid the whole sales tax upfront on the purchase price. Now when I buy the car, I have to pay the sales tax on the new purchase price?

Not a CT resident but that sure does suck if it's true.

I had a similar decision but I was just north of 50k which made certification a nonoption. I was sure I was going to buy the car but when I ran the numbers on a new one it was over a hundred bucks less a month because of better residuals, money factors and holiday cash that I opted to get back in the revolving door.

YMMV.

omaralt
01-25-2011, 06:20 AM
wait, are you guys sure about the tires? i thought that a CPO vehicle cannot be sold as CPO if the tires were under a certain tread measurement. so if your tires are under that measurement; which i'm assuming they are since you need new tires; they would have to put new tires on as part of the certification process. that would make the $2K certification price a lot easier to swallow..

however now that i think about it i also think that you have to return the car at the end of the lease with certain tread measurements.. maybe look into getting some cheap used tires or something?

Black 328xi
01-25-2011, 04:41 PM
1. I highly doubt new tires will be added but with that being said, when I bought my CPO car it came with new tires and the dealer said new tires were part of the CPO program so you may get that. Check with the dealer.

+1 on the tires. Bought my CPO with brand new run flats. The vehicle inspection sheet for the CPO states they must be OEM and not mismatched for the car to be sold as CPO. The measurement must also be 3mm or greater.

What will the buyout be for the car?