PDA

View Full Version : Android App?

Matt_London
01-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Am aware that there's a pretty good BMW App for iPhone (incl. Connected Drive?), but I haven't found anything for Android yet - anyone aware of anything available, or plans to make it available, or perhaps you've seen some other decent non-BMW-produced Android Apps for BMW?

Cheers.
Matt

nosnoop
01-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Am aware that there's a pretty good BMW App for iPhone (incl. Connected Drive?), but I haven't found anything for Android yet - anyone aware of anything available, or plans to make it available, or perhaps you've seen some other decent non-BMW-produced Android Apps for BMW?

There is no official Android App available at this point.
And I doubt any 3rd party software can access BMW assist feature.

Only the Internet Radio part of the BMW Connected is easily done by 3rd party software.

bfv
02-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Suggested apps for BMW & Android developers:

1) BMW assist for android
2) BMW connected drive for android
3) Full internet access on the car's display using Android phone's internet connection (currently not available in US)
4) BMW app for Google's voice operated services
5) Call recorder app
6) An app to remotely access a PC or a hard drive from the car
7) Those with Comfort Access....why carry the fob? The car should unlock and the engine should start when you carry your "android" with you!
8) Android to remember where F10 is parked and ability to provide navigation if required.
9) A distress signal should be sent to the phone by the car in case tampering is attempted...a live view of the car should appear on the phone using side & rear view cameras (after all, they should have "some" use other than parking:thumbup:)
8) A solar panel to power the fan to control cabin temperature when the engine is off.

Cheers.
Matt

JoeRoadster
02-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I think BMW is targeting a higher-end market than the android carrying crowd.

--
Sent from my iPhone ;)

BimmerUKF10
02-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Suggested apps for BMW & Android developers:

1) BMW assist for android
2) BMW connected drive for android
3) Full internet access on the car's display using Android phone's internet connection (currently not available in US)
4) BMW app for Google's voice operated services
5) Call recorder app
6) An app to remotely access a PC or a hard drive from the car
7) Those with Comfort Access....why carry the fob? The car should unlock and the engine should start when you carry your "android" with you!
8) Android to remember where F10 is parked and ability to provide navigation if required.
9) A distress signal should be sent to the phone by the car in case tampering is attempted...a live view of the car should appear on the phone using side & rear view cameras (after all, they should have "some" use other than parking:thumbup:)
8) A solar panel to power the fan to control cabin temperature when the engine is off.

Wishful thinking and very unlikely IMO. One of the advantages of the iPhone and one reason so many third parties develop for it is that it is a closed system. Apple has complete control over what runs on the device, therefore it's incredibly stable. Appreciate this makes it less flexible etc, but for the average user it is flexible enough. If you could afford an F10, just go buy an iPhone and be done with it! :-)

Needsdecaf
02-04-2011, 05:14 AM
While I realize the iPhone and money comments are a bit tongue in cheek, I resent the implication that the Andriod is "downmarket" or the "cheaper" option. I have had my choice (twice) of getting an iPhone and both times chose to go with an Android device. Price was not an issue, I was not locked into a contract and could have chosen either one.

It's a different, less mainstream platform, which will appeal to another demographic.

As for stability, never had an issue with my Android devices.

bfv
02-04-2011, 06:21 AM
Wishful thinking and very unlikely IMO. One of the advantages of the iPhone and one reason so many third parties develop for it is that it is a closed system. Apple has complete control over what runs on the device, therefore it's incredibly stable. Appreciate this makes it less flexible etc, but for the average user it is flexible enough. If you could afford an F10, just go buy an iPhone and be done with it! :-)

Joe roadster- I think BMW is targeting a higher-end market than the android carrying crowd.

WOW. Quite skimpy thoughts!

For some reason, iphone means "status symbol" to some people. There's nothing to "show off" in an iphone :rofl: With due respect, we are not comparing Windows PC to a Mac.

- Open & closed systems have nothing to do with system stability. if an app makes your system unstable, just remove it!

- Iphone is well made, but apple can't even fix "home" button which cracks/stops working for "many" users.

- I am not seeking these improvements in a year or two.......may be half decade is acceptable to see something like this happening.

anthony@empireleasing
02-04-2011, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=JoeRoadster;5823539]I think BMW is targeting a higher-end market than the android carrying crowd.

--
Sent from my iPhone ;)[/QUOTE

Android users are by far more computer literate and technical than iphone users..android with a cooked rom kills iphone anyday of the week and last time i checked iphones were'nt that expensive...lol the bmw VERTU app for those carrying a phone made of solid gold and diamonds.

LOL its an IPHONE everyone can afford it.

anthony@empireleasing
02-04-2011, 11:54 AM
43% of all smartphone sales over the past 6 months are now Android based phones according to The Nielsen Company. That almost 1 out of every 2 people grabbing a Android phone instead of a Blackberry, iPhone, or Nokia smartphone.
Apple***8217;s iPhone devices come in at 26% and Blackberry devices come in at 20% leaving 11% to Nokia and Windows Phone 7. This of course could change very soon with Verizon starting to sell the iPhone in a matter of days. That 26% could definitely rise quickly with that availability.
The market place is definitely having a significant shakeup. Recently worldwide sales of Android phones have topped Nokia***8217;s sales, the first time in 10 years any mobile OS has beaten out Nokia***8217;s Symbian OS. Windows Phone 7 has started to eat into the market share too, and with the iPhone 4 coming to Verizon the market place may be in flux for some time.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Android sales account for almost half all smartphone sales over last 6 months - National smartphones | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/smartphones-in-national/android-sales-acocount-for-almost-half-all-smartphone-sales-over-last-6-months#ixzz1D1AZ1I00

chrisk03
02-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Joe's got a good point...for me, it was either an iPhone and a brand new KIA or Android and a 335i. Guess I'll look cool in my 3 Series, until I pull out my MT4G. :D

BMWenthusiast
02-05-2011, 03:18 AM

--
Sent from my iPhone ;)

I'll take my Evo 4G anyday and anytime. This thing is an iPhone killer :D

Scantastic
02-05-2011, 04:44 AM

--
Sent from my iPhone ;)
Too much Apple coolaid & this coming from a guy that drives an A4.
I have both, and a stock DroidX blows the iPhone away-
if you root the Droid it's like Steve Dinan tuned it!

tim-atl
02-05-2011, 06:43 AM
Back on topic. Awesome suggestions - I hope someone from BMW is reading!

Tim

BimmerUKF10
02-05-2011, 11:47 AM
While I realize the iPhone and money comments are a bit tongue in cheek, I resent the implication that the Andriod is "downmarket" or the "cheaper" option. I have had my choice (twice) of getting an iPhone and both times chose to go with an Android device. Price was not an issue, I was not locked into a contract and could have chosen either one.

It's a different, less mainstream platform, which will appeal to another demographic.

As for stability, never had an issue with my Android devices.

Needsdecaf - I didn't intend to suggest and certainly don't think the Android is a downmarket option. iPhone or Android is mostly down to personal preferance. If I did'nt have an iPhone, Andriod would be my next choice. Fact is though that most apps are written for the iPhone these days with other platforms in the background. Regarding the whole Apple vs PC debate, I'm a PC man generally, but hate the Windows phone. So used to the iPhone now though I'd be lost without it. Again - personal preference. I really wish it wasn't as good as it is. I hate supporting company's that monopolise.

BuiltnBoostedZ
07-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Needsdecaf - I didn't intend to suggest and certainly don't think the Android is a downmarket option. iPhone or Android is mostly down to personal preferance. If I did'nt have an iPhone, Andriod would be my next choice. Fact is though that most apps are written for the iPhone these days with other platforms in the background. Regarding the whole Apple vs PC debate, I'm a PC man generally, but hate the Windows phone. So used to the iPhone now though I'd be lost without it. Again - personal preference. I really wish it wasn't as good as it is. I hate supporting company's that monopolise.

Android fan here. Wife had an android phone a few days ago. the new iDrives likes iPhones better, so we just traded her Android phone for a iphone. I prefer Android devices for is integration of google products (gmail, contacts, etc) and adjustability. iPhone is cool. Bought the wife an iPad for christmas last year (and she has a ipod nano)...so it only made sense to swap out her phone and keep her on one OS.

To say Android is for a lesser crowd is ignorant. Both companies make a good OS...and the way google is headed, they'll have the phone market and car entertainment market cornered in the next 3-5 years.

wnrussell
11-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Any more about this? I was to be an "Autumn" release.

dsong421
12-01-2011, 05:08 PM
It's on the way hopefully sometime this month. I'm dying to use this BMW Apps integration!! So much that I've considered getting an Iphone and switching over from the Android, but honestly I don't want to do that... And the new Android Razr was released which honestly is 10 fold better than the Iphone 4gs... Plus its on the 4g network which is 10x faster. But you guys can see how much I'd like to take advantage of the new BMW Apps features and I'm sure all the other Android users do too!!

Step up BMW get with the program...
BMW is leaving money on the table without showing love to the Android community...

SD Z4MR
12-06-2011, 05:22 PM

Really? The "android (sic) carrying crowd" is considered a lower-end market? What BS! :rolleyes: :tsk:

wnrussell
01-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Can't be the doomed Blackberry.

greengoose
02-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Anyone know if there are any recent updates from BMW regarding BMW Apps and Android?

SD Z4MR
02-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Anyone know if there are any recent updates from BMW regarding BMW Apps and Android?

I subscribe to BMW press releases and I haven't seen anything mentioned.

Brainomite
08-02-2012, 08:51 AM
it is now available on google play for the android. there was a press release a few days ago in regards to this release.

that being said it appears that USA residents are locked out of the app. however i have managed to side-load it onto my android using the chrome extension APK Downloader. unfortunately as i am not picking up my new car until my August 14th PCD appointment i can't test it in its full glory, but it is running in demo mode (unlinked) on my phone no problem

here is the link:

MY BMW Remote (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bmw.remote)

wnrussell
08-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Link says "This app is incompatible with all of your devices."

Try this for USA download: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1808372

Brainomite
08-06-2012, 09:30 AM
it is now available on google play for the android. there was a press release a few days ago in regards to this release.

that being said it appears that USA residents are locked out of the app. however i have managed to side-load it onto my android using the chrome extension APK Downloader. unfortunately as i am not picking up my new car until my August 14th PCD appointment i can't test it in its full glory, but it is running in demo mode (unlinked) on my phone no problem

here is the link:

MY BMW Remote (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bmw.remote)

OK, it now appears that the app has been released to world, it is no longer blocked in the U S of A

chrisk03
08-06-2012, 01:07 PM
OK, it now appears that the app has been released to world, it is no longer blocked in the U S of A

Google Play is still saying it's not available in our country...

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Bimmer App

Brainomite
08-06-2012, 01:09 PM
i don't know, i was able to select and send to my phone, and i live in New york city, weird

SD Z4MR
08-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Google Play is still saying it's not available in our country...

I still can't find it on my phone and while I was able to see it on the Google Play website last week but not download it, it doesn't even show up now.

I think that BMW has really dropped the ball on this one. They've been promising an Android app for awhile now and now that they've "released" it, one of their larges Android market bases still can't download it.

I sideloaded it last week and got it to work for the 335is but not for the Z4 M. I got that to work today but I can't even lock/unlock the car, so it's pretty much useless for me.

russdx
08-23-2012, 06:48 AM
just installed the 'my bmw remote' on a android samsung s3 and it dont do much :( iv signed into the bmw connect on the car and activated all the features on the bmw connect site.

any one else had any luck with android?

edit..
the lock/unlock feature does work (just takes 1min)
the location feature just says 'update vehicle status' what ever that means lol

edit...
send google map route to car works ok :) (love this feature!)
location feature returns now seams to work i had to click some thing else first :)

so it does actually all work :)

also dint realise the car plays dvds :)

Brainomite
08-24-2012, 11:10 AM
only think i wish was working is that ventilation system, for whatever reason as soon as i linked my 2013 x3 35i, the ventilation option was removed (u can see it in demo mode) i was hoping to use that on hot days before i head back to my car when it is parked outside.

i can confirm the rest of the features on my HTC droid incredible 2

guidezwirek
01-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Digging up an old thread, but if you're in the US and want the app on your Android here's the APK: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2X...GY5V0VGZTJUdFE

You'll need to open that link & download the file on your smartphone.

tim-atl
01-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Digging up an old thread, but if you're in the US and want the app on your Android here's the APK: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2X...GY5V0VGZTJUdFE

You'll need to open that link & download the file on your smartphone.

link is bad

Tim

guidezwirek
01-18-2013, 01:59 PM
The forum is automatically shortening the url, replace [dot] with a period and should work

Try: https://docs.google [dot] com/file/d/0B2XLurKmNIsUSGY5V0VGZTJUdFE/edit