PDA

View Full Version : Battery replaced and now dash display not operating correctly

Elizabert
01-25-2011, 02:28 PM
I had the battery replaced for a 2004 325i on Saturday at Batteries Plus. The battery they used was a Rayovac 49 Max LI 24/65. The guy working there just replaced it for me and I believe it was his first time doing so on this type of car since he was using the owners manual for help!
Ever since then every time I start the car the clock and trip odometer on the dash go back to not being set or 0 (for the odometer). Plus the clock on the radio doesn't stay set either after starting it.
Has anyone had this problem or can tell me what is wrong?
I already brought the car to another Batteries Plus here in Chicago (I had it replaced in Milwaukee) and the lady there looked at and said they wires were correct and they had no idea what was wrong.
Thanks!

Tangent
01-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Disconnect the negative cable for about 30 minutes and reconnect it. I've heard of this happening before and usually a reset like that clears it up.

Elizabert
01-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Thank You! I let my husband know to try that. He is afraid that he will damage something and the battery will die but if he doesn't do it I will.

gerald kovacs
02-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Elizabert, did disconnecting the negative work? I have the same problem.

tim330i
02-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Is it possible the battery posts are not the right thickness and a solid connection isn't being made? I had some electrical issues with my car as a result of the previous owner leaving the ground connection to the battery slightly loose.

gerald kovacs
02-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Good point on ground connection. I'll go look at it. Thanks.

whoever
02-10-2011, 03:29 PM
I heard only dealer can change battery and it requires some computer stuff that no Indies can do. Is that still true?

gerald kovacs
02-10-2011, 03:48 PM
I had AAA come out and change my battery. They did hook up something that keeps the power on while they changed it, but now I cannot keep my clock set or tripmeter and mpg settings. Everything else seems OK. I'll probably wait until I take it to my indy for oil, etc. and see if they can do anything.

Elizabert
02-10-2011, 05:01 PM
My husband started to try disconnecting it and then said that there were a lot too many screws and it was more complicated than he expected. Living in downtown Chicago with a not closed in garage he doesn't want to spend hours fiddling with it in freezing temps.

So we are going to take it back to Batteries Plus again and see if they will disconnect it for us, since it is their fault. Probably this weekend, so I will post an update if it works or not.

We also read that only the dealership can replace the battery...after the fact. But if that is the case there needs to be a way to let the car owner know cause we had no idea this would cause a problem until it happened.