PDA

View Full Version : XM antenna question

Raffi
01-30-2004, 07:59 PM
I am getting my XM commander installed at TechSession X and have a question about the antenna.

I got the Terk micro antenna with the kit and plan on mounting it on the roof unless it looks really ugly. So where do I run the antenna wire to get it inside the car? Is there a hidden hole to snake it through? I don't want to run it along the rubber channel around the rear windshield. Anyone done this?

TIA.

ObD
01-30-2004, 08:41 PM
There are two ways to access via the trunk:

1) The hole in the body trunk lip with a plastic plug above the CD changer location
2) The wiring boot between the trunk and the body.

Both require running the cable around the rear window. Drilling is your only option otherwise. :eek:

Raffi
01-31-2004, 10:20 AM
I was afraid I'd have to run it in the channel... damnit!

mquetel
02-01-2004, 01:10 PM
I haven't found any disadvantage to having the antenna inside, despite what the instructions say. I placed mine on the rear deck then ran the wiring into the trunk at the child seat anchor point. I get a full strength signal almost everywhere I go. The only problem areas I have found are when driving on roads that run along the bottoms of fairly deep canyons. I do not have tinted windows... that could make the inside mount more troublesome.