PDA

View Full Version : Registration tags

dm916
01-31-2011, 08:31 AM
I just bought the car on the Jan 11th from a dealership and paid for the license and registration. My tags are expired because the plates are for Jan and the tags on the car are for 2011. How should I go about this? Should I go to the DMV or co.tact the dealer?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

dm916
01-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Any help or ideas?

djfitter
01-31-2011, 03:29 PM
I just bought the car on the Jan 11th from a dealership and paid for the license and registration. My tags are expired because the plates are for Jan and the tags on the car are for 2011. How should I go about this? Should I go to the DMV or co.tact the dealer?

The way I think it should work is the same as my new car purchase except I got plates too.The dealer takes your money, fills out the necessary paper work, and sends it all off to DMV. DMV sends you your tags and registration in the mail. The paper they stick on your windshield will suffice until your tags arrive.

dj

timfitz63
01-31-2011, 03:41 PM
I don't know how such things works in California, so it's difficult to give you specific guidance. Vehicle registration procedures tend to vary from state to state, and will depend on the specifics of your situation, some of which you did not provide.

For instance, when you say you "paid for the license and registration" at the dealer, did you mean that you paid for your temporary (30-day) license and registration, or the permanent one...? If the latter, I would start by contacting the dealer. Dealers will almost never issue anything but a 30-day registration, and what happens next may depend on the type of sale (new or used vehicle) and the state in which you're registering the vehicle...

Other factors that play into this are whether you were transferring the registration (e.g., the vehicle was used, already had plates on it, and those plates transfer with the vehicle); if that was the case, you may have been responsible to go to your local DMV office and get it done yourself. Again, I don't know how California handles that. What I can say with almost utter certainty is: if you bought the vehicle outside your state of residence, then you needed to transfer the title to your state of residence, and get your permanent registration and plates.

Another thing I don't understand is why the temporary plates are expired after only 20 days (January 11 - 31); usually you get a 30-day registration, which gives you until around February 10th...? :dunno:

Campfamily
01-31-2011, 03:52 PM

I'm assuming the dealer taped a temporary registration in your window. If they didn't, I'd go back and get them to do so. Then, rather than drive around with an expired plate, which is just a target for a cop to pull you over, take the plate off until you get the new registration sticker. I bought my used car in early November, and got my new tags (along with a new plate, since the previous owner had a personalized plate) about 8 weeks later.

dm916
01-31-2011, 06:39 PM
I don't know how such things works in California, so it's difficult to give you specific guidance. Vehicle registration procedures tend to vary from state to state, and will depend on the specifics of your situation, some of which you did not provide.

For instance, when you say you "paid for the license and registration" at the dealer, did you mean that you paid for your temporary (30-day) license and registration, or the permanent one...? If the latter, I would start by contacting the dealer. Dealers will almost never issue anything but a 30-day registration, and what happens next may depend on the type of sale (new or used vehicle) and the state in which you're registering the vehicle...

Other factors that play into this are whether you were transferring the registration (e.g., the vehicle was used, already had plates on it, and those plates transfer with the vehicle); if that was the case, you may have been responsible to go to your local DMV office and get it done yourself. Again, I don't know how California handles that. What I can say with almost utter certainty is: if you bought the vehicle outside your state of residence, then you needed to transfer the title to your state of residence, and get your permanent registration and plates.

Another thing I don't understand is why the temporary plates are expired after only 20 days (January 11 - 31); usually you get a 30-day registration, which gives you until around February 10th...? :dunno:

The car was bought used from the dealership. The Out The Door (OTD) price included license and registration it is required when buying from the dealership (I think). The vehicle had it existing January license plates with a 2011 registration sticker. I had not receive my 2012 sticker yet and am hoping to avoid unnecessary policy stops. The local DMV is already closed for the day already so I'm going to drive to my dealership to see if they can give me a temp tag or best case scenario give a 2012 tag.

Thanks for the advice.

dm916
01-31-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm assuming the dealer taped a temporary registration in your window. If they didn't, I'd go back and get them to do so. Then, rather than drive around with an expired plate, which is just a target for a cop to pull you over, take the plate off until you get the new registration sticker. I bought my used car in early November, and got my new tags (along with a new plate, since the previous owner had a personalized plate) about 8 weeks later.

I'm not sure if you can classify what they tap
d to the front windshield as a temp tag. It had my name and address on it. I might have to take my plates off til I get the sticker if the dealership won't give me another tag. I am hoping to have minimal interaction with the police.

Thanks

djfitter
01-31-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure if you can classify what they tap
d to the front windshield as a temp tag. It had my name and address on it. I might have to take my plates off til I get the sticker if the dealership won't give me another tag. I am hoping to have minimal interaction with the police.

Thanks

Reread post#2.

dj

dm916
01-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks everyone for all your help. That thing they taped was a temp tag but I wanted the dealership temp plates. They gave me some. All is taken care of. Thanks again!