PDA

View Full Version : 5 series GT

andrewm2211
02-01-2011, 09:00 PM
So today I was in my e90 328i(now the thread is relevant).

And I saw a huge priu... I mean a 5 series GT.

I don't want to offend anyone incase someone here owns one... but what are they, I don't understand.

It has a hatchback but doesn't even look like it would give you that much more room.

FCBayernFTW
02-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Uglier then the X6 ;)

andrewm2211
02-02-2011, 12:26 AM
What are you talking aboutttttt I lovvvve the X6 :eek:

RaceBlood
02-02-2011, 04:09 AM
I agree, a complete waste of sheetmetal, appealing to the wannabe, for the latest on block have to have a German car, aspiring bonehead...Get the Honda, far better value...

Inline Sixer
02-02-2011, 06:03 AM
Per BMW,

It has:
- the driving feel of a sedan
- the riding height of an SUV
- the practicality of a station wagon, er, sportswagon.
- the price of a 5er, for the rear legroom of a 7er.

I don't own one, but call me strange, I like how it looks, and what it stands for.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

johnc_22
02-02-2011, 06:15 AM
It is a hideous car in photos. If I met it in person I might like it more, but just seeing a photo, I wouldn't even ask for a date.

RaceBlood
02-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Perfect for a soccer mom that cant afford a Range Rover...

slant83
02-02-2011, 06:26 AM

I don't want to offend anyone incase someone here owns one... but what are they, I don't understand.

It has a hatchback but doesn't even look like it would give you that much more room.

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno: I don't get it either...am I missing something?

Reminds me of an Aztec

hpowders
02-02-2011, 06:30 AM
Yes, the 5 GT is hideous. If only Bimmerfest would open up a 5 Series section for anything pertinent to 5 Series discussion.

Wait a minute! By jove they have and they did!!

johnc_22
02-02-2011, 06:34 AM
I disagree on the Aztek comparison. It looks more like another fine vehicle from GM's stable:

http://www.wallpaperramp.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/BMW-5-series-GT-3.jpg

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/chevrolet-citation-3.jpg

S4RIN
02-02-2011, 07:35 AM

You can't offend people when you tell them the truth. Because it's the truth! Honesty is the best policy:thumbup:

The bottom line on the GT is that the entire design is ugly. The F10 Sedan is beautiful. The sport pkg version, even more. But the GT is terrible. Along with the X6, they look like clones from the Pontiac Aztec, which was an ultimate automotive failure (just like the Chevy's Corvair). Makes you wonder how the heck GM is still in business?:confused:

A Touring version of the 5 series was a better choice. According to trends, less people are buying wagons. Thus the boardroom result was the GT. Poor executive decision. (sometimes it's more about coffee drinkin and sandwich eatin, then thinking).

The Fix: Stop production of the GT in 2012. For those who want extra room, offer the amazing F10 sedan with an 'Li' option for those craving extra backseat legroom. They offer the LI versions in China, which makes absolutely no sense. Chinese people are tiny, and do not require LI versions. On the other hand, it would make sense to make LI versions for North American's, who are taller, larger, and wider, and are allowed to have more then 1 kid, then their chinese colleagues.

CALWATERBOY
02-02-2011, 08:13 AM
I agree, a complete waste of sheetmetal, appealing to the wannabe, for the latest on block have to have a German car, aspiring bonehead...Get the Honda, far better value...

Aha!

As a value, Honda's hard to beat.

As a driving experience, not hard at all.

thekurgan
02-02-2011, 08:18 AM
That's one ugly fcukin' vehicle ... and they are supposed to replace the E90M3 with something similar, according to last month's Roundel. Can't see it myself.

CALWATERBOY
02-02-2011, 08:28 AM
For those who want extra room, offer the amazing F10 sedan with an 'Li' option for those craving extra backseat legroom. They offer the LI versions in China, which makes absolutely no sense. Chinese people are tiny, and do not require LI versions.

No no! For the diminutive, that's a limo. Should sell.

floydarogers
02-02-2011, 08:42 AM
As a value, Honda's hard to beat.

I had to follow a Honda Accord "Crosstour" thingy part-way home yesterday. It's uglier than the 5. Driver was kind of a dope, too.

RaceBlood
02-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Hopefully they dont use plastic parts in the transmissions like the above 5 door Chevy...that was a fiasco...

andrewm2211
02-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Yes, the 5 Touring hideous. If only Bimmerfest would open up a 5 Series section for anything pertinent to 5 Series discussion.

Wait a minute! By jove they have and they did!!

Yeah I know, I just didn't want to go to the 5 series forum for the first time and ask a bunch of strangers why their cars are ugly, that practice is reserved for Audi drivers.

1985mb
02-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Uglier then the X6 ;)

Congrats, you just won the ugly olympics

FCBayernFTW
02-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Congrats, you just won the ugly olympics

...and you drive a chick car, why not a pontiac sunfire, Got badge?

Sent from my BMW Approved© HTC Desire using BimmerApp

AzNMpower32
02-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Well, the next 3er is going to come available as a GT as well, and I doubt the touring will make it over to North America.

hpowders
02-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah I know, I just didn't want to go to the 5 series forum for the first time and ask a bunch of strangers why their cars are ugly, that practice is reserved for Audi drivers.

I meant the 5 GT is hideous, not the 5 Touring.

3rd Jet Black
02-02-2011, 11:25 AM
You can't offend people when you tell them the truth. Because it's the truth!

This is not true.

hpowders
02-02-2011, 11:27 AM
I wish BMW would stop making cars with little purpose such as the 5 GT and the X6.

FCBayernFTW
02-02-2011, 11:37 AM
They have purpose, just not yours

I wish BMW would stop making cars with little purpose such as the 5 GT and the X6.

andrewm2211
02-02-2011, 11:57 AM
I feel that, I'm not crazy about the X6, but I don't think it's ugly.

The problem with the 5 GT is that it hasn't decided what it is, and looks like the offspring of two different species that normally can't mate.

The X6, not my cup of tea, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

hpowders
02-02-2011, 12:06 PM
They have purpose, just not yours

I wrote BMW a letter. They will stop.

RBinDC
02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Per BMW,

It has:
- the driving feel of a sedan
- the riding height of an SUV
- the practicality of a station wagon, er, sportswagon.
- the price of a 5er, for the rear legroom of a 7er.

I don't own one, but call me strange, I like how it looks, and what it stands for.

I like it too. When I get tired of my 335is (or too old to handle it) I might consider one (or whatever small SUV BMW is producing).

RaceBlood
02-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Its is under the guise and design auspices of a car on steroids, SUV meets sedan, and here you have the BMW version, NO Thanks!

Last time a I checked there were not any crossovers in Trans Am or at the Track...LOL

FCBayernFTW
02-02-2011, 01:36 PM
WTF would I want to take an X6 to the track?

Sent from my BMW Approved© HTC Desire using BimmerApp

AlexK
02-02-2011, 01:45 PM
but what are they, I don't understand.

Neither do I :dunno: Audi seems to "get it", though (at least they think they are), since they were quick to come up with their own copy called "A7" :p

RaceBlood
02-02-2011, 02:20 PM
My comment refers to someones comment about a 3 being a girls car...getting a badge...

andrewm2211
02-02-2011, 02:32 PM
oh yeah I remember that clown

:fruit:

Siruis
02-02-2011, 02:56 PM
When i first saw this car acouple months ago and didnt know about its existence, i thought someone rebadged some random car with BMW logo. I wondered, would BMW ever make something this horrible? After i saw it i went and did some research and discovered that in fact it was a real bmw..

Kilgore Trout
02-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Uglier then the X6 ;)

Unlike the X6, the exterior styling of the 5 GT leaves a lot to be desired. The X6 is a beautiful vehicle, and very eye catching. The 5 GT looks like a Chevy Citation to me.

But, just like the X6, the interior is gorgeous. The material quality in both vehicles is really impressive.

Its still a ridiculous vehicle. Its no more efficient than an X5 and more ponderous to drive.

I guess it may be more of a status symbol, because it will be more rare.

RaceBlood
02-02-2011, 04:01 PM
I guess it may be more of a status symbol, because it will be more rare.

You could say that about the AMC Matador too....

TexasSpartan
02-02-2011, 07:42 PM
I disagree on the Aztek comparison. It looks more like another fine vehicle from GM's stable:

http://www.wallpaperramp.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/BMW-5-series-GT-3.jpg

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/chevrolet-citation-3.jpg

Too funny on the 5 GT, however I don't dislike the X6. I'm seeing more and more of them around here. My wife drives a '07 X3 and she really likes it. I'm stickin to my 3.

UnderSteer
02-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Arguing about whether the X6 or the 5GT is better looking is like arguing about whether cow poop or horse poop smells better.

CA should probably get an X6 to negotiate the NYC potholes. I was in NYC last weekend and the roads are more torn up than ever. I can't imagine what they would have done to a 3 Series with ZSP.

The x6 and 5GT are probably both fine vehicles, particularly if you need road clearance. But IMO neither model is particuarly attractive. I have never driven either but from what I hear from people that have driven then they are both good driving cars.

TexasSpartan
02-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Arguing about whether the X6 or the 5GT is better looking is like arguing about whether cow poop or horse poop smells better.

CA

We own a Tennessee Walker. Definitely horse poop.

ImpalaSS
02-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Uglier then the X6 ;)

But not by much... :D

I saw a 5 GT at the Wash DC auto show last night - underwhelmed. Its just awkward. The day BMW ditches their devotion to vehicle dynamics and chases market niches is the day I...errr...nevermind.

Capobranco
02-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Respectfully I offer an alternative view.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1004_bmw_550i_gran_turismo_vs_porsche_panamera_s/index.html

I chose my BMW 550i GT over a Porsche Panamera and Panamera S. I have attached a recent article from Automobile Magazine that I did not see before purchasing. Frankly, I am surprised, and very pleased, by their conclusions. I thought both cars were engaging dynamically but aesthetically I thought that the GT showcased BMW design language in a manner that was fresher and more original than the Porsche, which I considered very derivative. Creatively incorporating BMW styling cues, the GT exudes power and competency. The styling evokes a feeling of masculine athleticism and functionality without being pretentious. The upright oversized BMW grille, the long hood, the fastback "coupe" roofline, frameless windows, --and that wide stance, are all elements that communicate the dynamic special nature of the vehicle. The interior is nicer than a Maserati Quattroporte.

The Porsche in any configuration placed more emphasis on being a sports car and the BMW had more the feel of a seven series gran turismo. What I gave up dynamically I made up in comfort, capacity, and long distance touring capability. These were all contributing elements, but the critical deciding factor that swayed my purchase to the BMW was the 550i's 400 hp ***8211; 450 lbs-ft of torque when combined with a sport package and 20-inch wheels mitigated the Porsche's advantage. Independent of cost, I concluded, as Automobile Mag concluded, that the BMW was the better overall choice.

As to the driving experience - WOW ***8211; able to leap tall buildings in a single bound ***8211; Effortless is the word that comes to mind. Great gobs of power, a compliant responsive suspension, and maximum luxury combined with the ability to carry some serious freight makes for a great experience. The twin turbo engine is just amazing ***8211; to think it - is to do it! Road trips in my 335i that left me wasted at the end of a very long day are easy and fun in my GT. I come away from driving my 550i GT ready for more. The GT is fun and engaging. High speed passing on two lane state roads ***8211; done, ascend and descend corkscrew mountain roads ***8211; done, high speed interstate driving ***8211; done, urban stop and go ***8211; done, haul stuff for business ***8211; done.

If you should ever drive the 550i GT, evaluate it on its own terms. The experience is unique. I have owned 5 BMWs ***8211; 4 Mercedes ***8211; 2 Porsches including a 911 Turbo and 2 Corvettes - and I must say - my 550i GT is the best overall car I have ever owned in my life. Most of my past cars have been sport/GT cars and I was very concerned that I would be very bored with the car. I find the 550i GT to be an artful, athletic, future oriented, tour de force. The 550i GT is a real gran turismo for 2011. I suspect some may not agree with my analysis of the GT but that is ok ***8211; although I should add I am surprised by the frequent unsolistied compliments the car receives on the street. My Italian partners in Florence who make their living in the design world are wildly enthusiastic over the car's styling ***8211; but I think the car appeals more to Europeans than to Americans in general.

Most importantly, as an artist, I have learned to trust my own instincts and eschew being ruled by the opinions of others ***8211; different strokes for different folks.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=259877&stc=1&d=1293425200

captainaudio
02-02-2011, 11:34 PM
I think the X6 and 5GT are similar looking. They are certainly more similar to each other than to other BMW models. I don't see myself on the market for either but only time will tell where they end up in automotive history and whether they will be viewed as the first of a new breed or as aberations with limited appeal.

car-fan
02-03-2011, 12:03 AM
I think the X6 and 5GT are similar looking. They are certainly more similar to each other than to other BMW models. I don't see myself on the market for either but only time will tell where they end up in automotive history and whether they will be viewed as the first of a new breed or as aberations with limited appeal.

Actually the GT is to the 7 Series, what the X6 is to the X5. As stated those who understand the merits of the car i.e. Luxury, performance, space, etc, couldn't be more pleased. There is no other "car" in this class that can compete. Check the reviews by "European Car" as well;)

mstrq
02-03-2011, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't call 5GT an ugly car but I don't see myself fancying one. It looks like a great car for road trips though.

FCBayernFTW
02-03-2011, 01:53 AM
Audi, and Mercedes are copying this Market..... Something must be right, once again BMW pushing the envelope and others are playing catchup.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/02/01/audi-plans-bmw-x6-competitor/

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/07/01/mercedes-benz-building-a-crossover-competitor-for-bmw-x6/

car-fan
02-03-2011, 07:35 AM

So let me get this right you bought a "pre-owned" 2007 335, coming from an MB SLK 350 "AMG":D Nothing wrong at all with getting a 335 preowned, but it is a bit pretentious on your behalf to make the claim above. I've had conversations with the owners of real AMG cars that are not as arrogant as you.:tsk:

FCBayernFTW
02-03-2011, 08:00 AM
So let me get this right you bought a "pre-owned" 2007 335, coming from an MB SLK 350 "AMG":D Nothing wrong at all with getting a 335 preowned, but it is a bit pretentious on your behalf to make the claim above. I've had conversations with the owners of real AMG cars that are not as arrogant as you.:tsk:

:bustingup:bustingup ownage

S4RIN
02-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Its now more efficient than an X5.

I disagree. I can fit more into an X5, haul more, and burn less fuel (even less if I go with a diesel). Furthermore, the design of the X5 is great:thumbup: The same cannot be said for the X6. I can also get an X5 for a better deal then an X6. The money saved can finance vacations to the Carribean and Europe or home renovations.

X5 is the best SUV from BMW.

FCBayernFTW
02-03-2011, 08:59 AM
^^ X5 is a great car, so great that there's just too damn many of them!

RaceBlood
02-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Pretentious? Maybe so.

Pompous? Seems about right.

I am not knocking the Merits of the BMW at issue, I am speaking to the looks, period. I disdain four door sedans overall, and I think that model is not anything I would find attractive or sexy IMO, unlike the Porsche, which is dripping sexy, as is a Massarati, unlike the model above.

I am sure the Aztek has its virtues too, not sure its can be so romantically described as your retort, but lets not forget, the vehicle at issue here, its a BMW already, and this class/sector of cars, is plain and simply ugly, IMO. Pompous, well, I would never be caught dead in a McMansion is a gated community, and on a cruise ship, or at a resort with all inclusive either, nor would I wear $25K watch for the sake of having one, though I can afford one. My motoring needs are strictly pleasure, I dont even need a car, or a motorcycle. But I love cars, old and new. F1, MotoGP. I have no interest in the Indy 500, or Nascar, or even looking at a Minivan for a rental, give me a Mazda 3, over that thing....

But, as they say in the car business, there is a ass for every seat!

If it has M option, it would be nice to take on a road trip...

car-fan
02-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Pretentious? Maybe so.

Pompous? Seems about right.

I am not knocking the Merits of the BMW at issue, I am speaking to the looks, period. I disdain four door sedans overall, and I think that model is not anything I would find attractive or sexy IMO, unlike the Porsche, which is dripping sexy, as is a Massarati, unlike the model above.

I am sure the Aztek has its virtues too, not sure its can be so romantically described as your retort, but lets not forget, the vehicle at issue here, its a BMW already, and this class/sector of cars, is plain and simply ugly, IMO. Pompous, well, I would never be caught dead in a McMansion is a gated community, and on a cruise ship, or at a resort with all inclusive either, nor would I wear $25K watch for the sake of having one, though I can afford one. My motoring needs are strictly pleasure, I dont even need a car, or a motorcycle. But I love cars, old and new. F1, MotoGP. I have no interest in the Indy 500, or Nascar, or even looking at a Minivan for a rental, give me a Mazda 3, over that thing....

But, as they say in the car business, there is a ass for every seat!

If it has M option, it would be nice to take on a road trip...

:eeps: Yet still you wanted it to be known that your former SLK 350 had an 'AMG" badge...... So If we were to take your rhetoric with a grain of salt we would surmise that a 92 Mazda Miata with 300k on the odo would be more appropriate for your needs, given your reasoning of frugality and all:rolleyes: Give us a break.

BTW: I still think pretentious fits you perfectly- have a :beerchug: its "non-alcholic" :thumbup:

Kilgore Trout
02-03-2011, 10:57 AM

I'm surprised that everybody seems to feel this way. To me, the 5 GT (which should probably just be called a 7 hatch) is bland looking at best. The X6 is very sporty and striking.

Talking exterior styling only, of course. I still think both are ridiculous as overall packages.

Kilgore Trout
02-03-2011, 10:59 AM
I disagree. I can fit more into an X5, haul more, and burn less fuel (even less if I go with a diesel). Furthermore, the design of the X5 is great:thumbup: The same cannot be said for the X6. I can also get an X5 for a better deal then an X6. The money saved can finance vacations to the Carribean and Europe or home renovations.

X5 is the best SUV from BMW.

That was a typo (now fixed). "I mean it is NO more efficient than an X5." That is the consistent argument I make on this board and elsewhere.

The X5 at least makes SOME sense to me (although I still think a 5 series Touring makes more sense). If I needed an midsized to large SUV I would seriously consider one. I wouldn't be caught in an X6 though or a 5 GT.

RaceBlood
02-03-2011, 11:02 AM
The only reason I mention the AMG on the SLK is gets some nice additions like a M or Spt Pkg. That car is a lot of fun to have a trunk, a auto vert roof, and keep up with Boxer and in comfort, a 7spd paddle to boot. It also far out handles a 335i in all categories, but you have to give up something for comfort and room.

Look, you can gloss over the looks of that thing all you want, but most people dont think its very pretty, I would get a Jag XF over that, at least the rear roof C pillar, is elegant.

Kilgore Trout
02-03-2011, 11:02 AM
^^ X5 is a great car, so great that there's just too damn many of them!

So, in other words, when you bought your X6, you didn't give a rot about efficiency, quality of drive, or utility, you just wanted something unique and impressive, that looked great, and showed off your accomplishments. Am I right?

Frankly, it's your money and your choice. I have no right to tell you that flaunting your wealth and buying an inefficient vehicle to show off to the neighbors is not worthwhile. Heck, we all do that kind of thing in different ways. I'm just calling a spade a spade. The X6 is a ridiculous, inefficient vehicle and the only audience are those who value perceived prestige and styling over every other consideration. And, past vehicles with those attributes (like the Hummer, Navigator) have proven to have short-lived model runs.

Kilgore Trout
02-03-2011, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't call 5GT an ugly car but I don't see myself fancying one. It looks like a great car for road trips though.

You can fit more stuff in a 5 series Touring, it will also handle better and getter better MPG. So, which is the better road trip machine?

car-fan
02-03-2011, 11:24 AM
That was a typo (now fixed). "I mean it is NO more efficient than an X5." That is the consistent argument I make on this board and elsewhere.

The X5 at least makes SOME sense to me (although I still think a 5 series Touring makes more sense). If I needed an midsized to large SUV I would seriously consider one. I wouldn't be caught in an X6 though or a 5 GT.

X5, X6 & X3 are more or less SUV's. The GT is a 5 door sedan or as you appropriately described a 7 Series with a hatch. Its intent is to serve those who seek room, performance and versatility in a large sedan. If I didn't have a SUV, then perhaps I would have considered an X5, which I have owned in the past. X6 is a joke in back. 4 6ft + individuals will not be comfortable on an extended drive. Obviously the same can be said for a 3 sedan, 5 Sedan - nope, and then you have the 7 series. The only vehicle in BMW's current model line to offer more rear legroom than the GT is the LWB F02 7 Series, this includes the X5 as well.

Looks are subjective, you can't please all the people, all the time, but I will say I have received nothing but positive remarks on the overall design. Although I'll admit, even I am not a fan of the base GT. A big greehouse with little 18 inch rims don't mix. Of course this is not unique to the GT only, across BMW's lineup certain configurations are more appealing than others.

I guess the Isetta had the same reaction back in the day - but I digress :)

car-fan
02-03-2011, 11:42 AM
You can fit more stuff in a 5 series Touring, it will also handle better and getter better MPG. So, which is the better road trip machine?

Have you ever driven a GT? For what it is, (a large sedan) it handles well. It's not designed to handle like an e90 sedan. As far as a 5 Series touring is concerned the only V8 version I believe released in the domestic market was the 530i from the 90's. So there is no current V8 Touring to compare to. As you are aware, due to the dismal sales of the previous touring, BMW elected not to import the F11 Touring to the US.

Personally, if I was concerned about gas mileage I wouldn't be driving a Twin Turbo V8, let alone one with close to 500 hp and almost 600 lbs/ft of torque. I would have bought an x35d instead, or just drive my Mini full time. As far as cargo room in the GT is concerned there are plenty of configurations available. Again though, I wouldnt seek to carry a dishwasher in the back, but for most all other items they fit with no problem. As far as rear legroom is concerned, the current F11 touring can't compare to the GT.

car-fan
02-03-2011, 11:47 AM
The only reason I mention the AMG on the SLK is gets some nice additions like a M or Spt Pkg. That car is a lot of fun to have a trunk, a auto vert roof, and keep up with Boxer and in comfort, a 7spd paddle to boot. It also far out handles a 335i in all categories, but you have to give up something for comfort and room.

Look, you can gloss over the looks of that thing all you want, but most people dont think its very pretty, I would get a Jag XF over that, at least the rear roof C pillar, is elegant.

You still fail, XF is smaller doesn't offer the practicality or luxury - not a fan. :thumbdwn:

Kilgore Trout
02-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Have you ever driven a GT? For what it is, (a large sedan) it handles well. It's not designed to handle like an e90 sedan. .

I don't expect it to handle like a 178" E90. What concerns me is that it does not handle as well as an X5. It rides a hell of a lot better, but it feels every bit as ponderous and a lot less tied down to the road.

car-fan
02-03-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't expect it to handle like a 178" E90. What concerns me is that it does not handle as well as an X5. It rides a hell of a lot better, but it feels every bit as ponderous and a lot less tied down to the road.

Honestly, after having owned both. The only unmodded X5 that would be able to keep up would be an X5M. X5 handles very well, but it is pretty top heavy, GT has a lower overall ride height. The GT with Sport Pack and DHP dialed in the right way, I have no handling issues. Also, ever since I donated the OEM run flats to the boat dock, and have since installed conventional UHP summer tires the handling is even better.

Its a pretty capable car, for those who care to give it shot, end up liking it.. It takes an extended drive with someone who knows the car. Take a look at the converts in the GT section whenever convenient. Its a niche vehicle for sure. If I was single, without a 12 month old in a bulky Recaro Car seat with a full size stroller, I probably would be driving an e90 M3. But to have room for said car seat while allowing for comfort in the front passenger seat as well as the rear seats, with space for another six footer behind me, as I am 6ft 4, you really can't beat it. Nothing else from any other manufacturer in this sedan class fits. Panamera is really nice but still it does not offer the room or space for 5. On the high end, I sat in an Aston Martin Rapide, I almost needed the jaws of life to get out of the back seat.

Again looks are subjective, but I couldn't be more pleased. I did have a 2010 Audi Q5 Prestige/Sline for a few months, but once I saw the GT in the flesh I placed an order and the Audi was sold. The Audi was real nice but I decided I needed a real truck and a sedan for my expanding family and friends to be comfortable.

FCBayernFTW
02-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Aren't the X5 and X6 the same underneath all that sheetmetal?

As for my motivations? Hammer meet nail. :dunno:

So, in other words, when you bought your X6, you didn't give a rot about efficiency, quality of drive, or utility, you just wanted something unique and impressive, that looked great, and showed off your accomplishments. Am I right?

Frankly, it's your money and your choice. I have no right to tell you that flaunting your wealth and buying an inefficient vehicle to show off to the neighbors is not worthwhile. Heck, we all do that kind of thing in different ways. I'm just calling a spade a spade. The X6 is a ridiculous, inefficient vehicle and the only audience are those who value perceived prestige and styling over every other consideration. And, past vehicles with those attributes (like the Hummer, Navigator) have proven to have short-lived model runs.

RaceBlood
02-03-2011, 12:42 PM
I would prefer a Caddy wagon over that GT, and the Jag HF is far better looking, were only talking looks here anyway.

X5 is another wannabe look at me me, like a Hummer, but X5 comes in a M, and hauls BUTT!

Meiac09
02-03-2011, 12:52 PM
I haven't even seen any around Atlanta. They're on the employee discount clearance around greenville though :rolleyes:

AlexK
02-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Audi, and Mercedes are copying this Market..... Something must be right, once again BMW pushing the envelope and others are playing catchup

"Pushing the envelope"? By creating a lame 4-door copy of AMC Eagle SX/4 (an AWD car which came out in 1981)? :rofl:

http://www.supafly.com/images/journal/bmw_X6_amc_Eagle.jpg

1985mb
02-03-2011, 01:13 PM
As far as cargo room in the GT is concerned there are plenty of configurations available. Again though, I wouldnt seek to carry a dishwasher in the back, but for most all other items they fit with no problem. As far as rear legroom is concerned, the current F11 touring can't compare to the GT.

I decided I needed a real truck and a sedan for my expanding family and friends to be comfortable.

Would it be unreasonable to assume the 5er GT demographic is people like yourself? People with multiple cars, and a truck/SUV/touring to satisfy any substantial people- and/or cargo-carrying needs? So either we lose the pretense that the buyer actually needs some sort of sedan< utility, or acknowledge that the GT buyer will buy a 'real truck' anyway. So why not a 550i or 750i in that case?

RaceBlood
02-03-2011, 01:21 PM
AlexK thats is too funny, much better than my AMC Matador picture, who would of thought AMC was a inspiration to BMW?

Now I will concede one thing the Acura version of the Honda Crossover looks like a gigantic kitchen appliance of some sort...but Acura/Honda had this out before BMW 5GT, so they are cutting the UGLY envelope too....

We were just about to stop complaining about car companies who launch four-door vehicles and call them coupes***8230;cough***8230;BMW, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz***8230; And then Acura comes along and releases this!

FCBayernFTW
02-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Wow, how original,

R
E
P
O
S
T

http://www.supafly.com/images/journal/bmw_X6_amc_Eagle.jpg

AlexK
02-03-2011, 01:38 PM
who would of thought AMC was a inspiration to BMW?

AMC was an inspiration to many car manufacturers - in 1980 they were first to introduce a mass-production "non-SUV" car with a high ground clearance, full-time AWD system and an automatic transmission :) Something that today is more widely known as "crossover" (that, of course, includes the X6) :)

Capobranco
02-03-2011, 01:40 PM

I traded a 335i vert in on my 550i GT. In the past I have had the privilege to own some nice handling cars including - a race ready 2002 tii, highly modified Porsche 911 turbo, and a tuned Corvette just to mention a few. I hoped that the 550iGT would prove to be a comfortable fast family cruiser that I might find interesting. I was impressed when I test drove the car, and continue to discover a depth of talent and inherent goodness regarding the dynamic capabilities of the car, that my initial test drive only whispered. The ride is indeed compliant, but the handling remains engaging. The dynamic suspension control allows one to dial in 4 distinct handling modes. I have used the car not only for very fast interstate cruising but also extensively on state 2 lane mountain roads in Western Maryland and West Virginia – the 550i GT drives much smaller than its size and weight would suggest. I smile when I think about my next road trip.

AlexK
02-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Wow, how original

Are you talking about the design of your next car? :p

Kilgore Trout
02-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Aren't the X5 and X6 the same underneath all that sheetmetal?

As for my motivations? Hammer meet nail. :dunno:

Yes, they are the same under the sheetmetal. So, they offer similar performance and similar efficiency. However, a big part of the justification for buying a bloated SUV is the cargo capacity. If you're not hauling camping stuff and sporting gear, or accommodating a family, why bother? Otherwise, if you really need Xdrive (which few drivers really do), you might as well get a sedan.

What you've done with the X6 is get a vehicle that eats as much gas as a SUV, but hauls as much as a small sedan. And, you made all those compromises strickly for prestige and style.

As for the "hammer meet nail" stuff, I'm not completely sure what you mean. I bought my E91 because it fits my bike and camping gear, gets decent mileage, is fun as hell to drive, and is comfy and luxurious. The only less upscale vehicle that MIGHT meet all those criteria would be something like a Passat Wagon or perhaps a Jetta Wagon. IF I was anywhere near as obsessed with prestigious and flaunting wealth as the typical X6 owner, I would have thrown practicality to the wind and gone for a coupe of some kind.

See, unlike you, I've actually purchase a vehicle that actually does have a real purpose other than impressing my neighbors.

RaceBlood
02-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Maybe I am young at heart, but I think the average age for 5GT is over 50, I am 51, but not interested, no kids, just some fishing polls and a tent.

Pompous campers unite!

Kilgore Trout
02-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Again looks are subjective, but I couldn't be more pleased. I did have a 2010 Audi Q5 Prestige/Sline for a few months, but once I saw the GT in the flesh I placed an order and the Audi was sold. The Audi was real nice but I decided I needed a real truck and a sedan for my expanding family and friends to be comfortable.

Let me be clear about the looks issue: I think the GT is a nice looking vehicle. I think it looks somewhat plain in comparison to the X6, which is striking vehicle and one of the best looking SUVs on the road. I don't see the GT as breaking ground in terms of styling, but it is elegant. I'd say the exact same thing about any of the wagons BMW has produced - none are eye catching, but all are attractive vehicles that I would not be ashamed to own.

RaceBlood
02-03-2011, 02:10 PM
On that note, the new 5, and 7 I find el boro...Benz E package much nicer IMO.

Capobranco
02-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Would it be unreasonable to assume the 5er GT demographic is people like yourself? People with multiple cars, and a truck/SUV/touring to satisfy any substantial people- and/or cargo-carrying needs? So either we lose the pretense that the buyer actually needs some sort of sedan< utility, or acknowledge that the GT buyer will buy a 'real truck' anyway. So why not a 550i or 750i in that case?

My 550i GT goes to work everyday and I use it to carry artwork that would never fit in either a 550i or 750i. A frequently need to take 500 mile road trips that take me through cobble stone streets of Baltimore to challenging mountain roads of WV. The 550i GT is not only a superb comfortable cruiser but very capable in the twisties. The GT is built on the 7 series architecture - hence it is far more comfortable than any 5 and indeed I find the back seat to be more comfortable than a 750il. Dynamically the 550i, 750i and 550i GT are very close but the GT is uniquely endowed with talents the others cannot match. In terms of styling I prefer the unique robust athleticism of the GT - the 550i is anonymous and although I like the 750i - I feel the car is a bit old for me. In my business I must not only satisfy existing demand but anticipate, indeed, create demand. In life, as in business, I have always walked my own course and have tried not to be ruled by the opinion of others - I enjoy the 550i GT for its unique stylling, its capabilities and inherent goodness.

RaceBlood
02-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Then they should rename it, the 550iAH

Art Hauler

AlexK
02-03-2011, 02:32 PM
In terms of styling I prefer the unique robust athleticism of the GT - the 550i is anonymous

...sooo when it comes to cars, you prefer you car to be

http://bostonsnark.wikispaces.com/file/view/attention20whore3lm9.jpg/33331743/attention20whore3lm9.jpg ?

Of course, nothing really is wrong with that ;)

Capobranco
02-03-2011, 02:43 PM
...sooo when it comes to cars, you prefer you car to be

http://bostonsnark.wikispaces.com/file/view/attention20whore3lm9.jpg/33331743/attention20whore3lm9.jpg ?

Of course, nothing really is wrong with that ;)

hmmmmm....well there are limits, but yeah, I like the attention......:)

RaceBlood
02-03-2011, 03:07 PM
I dont see the attention factor on this car, yes its new and unusual, but not like the X5/6.

I see now why you ended up buying this car, you need luxury, room for big stuff, comfort, performance and sport touring, with prestige, due to your high end business, makes perfect sense, I just cant get over the back of it, but whos looking at the my ass anyway...

A G wagon would be an attention getter...

1985mb
02-03-2011, 03:13 PM
My 550i GT goes to work everyday and I use it to carry artwork that would never fit in either a 550i or 750i. A frequently need to take 500 mile road trips that take me through cobble stone streets of Baltimore to challenging mountain roads of WV. The 550i GT is not only a superb comfortable cruiser but very capable in the twisties. The GT is built on the 7 series architecture - hence it is far more comfortable than any 5 and indeed I find the back seat to be more comfortable than a 750il. Dynamically the 550i, 750i and 550i GT are very close but the GT is uniquely endowed with talents the others cannot match. In terms of styling I prefer the unique robust athleticism of the GT - the 550i is anonymous and although I like the 750i - I feel the car is a bit old for me. In my business I must not only satisfy existing demand but anticipate, indeed, create demand. In life, as in business, I have always walked my own course and have tried not to be ruled by the opinion of others - I enjoy the 550i GT for its unique stylling, its capabilities and inherent goodness.

Thanks for a thoughtful reply :thumbup:

Kilgore Trout
02-03-2011, 03:18 PM

Svanil, you're obviously a thoughtful guy who made an informed choice. I hope you get years and years of happy miles out of your new ride.

Kilgore Trout
02-03-2011, 03:19 PM
hmmmmm....well there are limits, but yeah, I like the attention......:)

Classy response.

I like your style. :thumbup:

hmr
02-03-2011, 03:22 PM
I've only come across a 5 series GT once so far on the road. I must say it looked pretty impressive on the road. From behind, the wide wheels gave the car some definite presence. Even the side profile looked great as I passed it.

Capobranco
02-03-2011, 03:30 PM
I dont see the attention factor on this car, yes its new and unusual, but not like the X5/6.

I see now why you ended up buying this car, you need luxury, room for big stuff, comfort, performance and sport touring, with prestige, due to your high end business, makes perfect sense, I just cant get over the back of it, but whos looking at the my ass anyway...

A G wagon would be an attention getter...

Perhaps due to its uniqueness in the market, the car receives a great deal of attention.
Many people stop me and offer compliments. As I said in a prior post I did not anticipate
this reaction. I do have my limits - I cross shopped a Porsche Panamera but felt
uncomfortable with the Panamera's outré flamboyance given my clients and business.

Capobranco
02-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Svanil, you're obviously a thoughtful guy who made an informed choice. I hope you get years and years of happy miles out of your new ride.

Thanks for a thoughtful reply :thumbup:

Classy response.

I like your style. :thumbup:

Gee wiz shucks guys......thanks!:)

PS. to Kilgore Trout - I love BMW wagons! - I drove a 2001 525it for over 100,000 miles!

captainaudio
02-03-2011, 04:43 PM
You guys are a bunch of wimps.
We don't come here for well written and well thought out posts by thoughtful people who articulately express informed opinions.

We come here to argue and to criticize people whose cars are not exactly like ours.

The 5GT is a rebadged Toyota.

CA

bmw_dave
02-03-2011, 05:00 PM
We don't come here for well written and well thought out posts by thoughtful people who articulately express informed opinions.

We come here to argue and to criticize people whose cars are not exactly like ours.

CA

:rofl: :rofl: Thank you for restoring order!

Inline Sixer
02-03-2011, 05:13 PM

Agree.

I once saw a Neptune Blue 550i GT parked -- and I thought it looked great. Whether a car is pretty or ugly is a matter of preference of course.

My X5 retains a lot of the BMW virtues, with a ground clearance built for hellacious Midwest winters - for which a car or wagon will be limited. But there are days when I wish my X5 acted more like a car with a lower center of gravity. I think GT's mix of SUV functionality, ground clearance and sedan-handling makes sense, to me at least. The GT can thus be a vehicle I will consider for this line of reasoning. It is a 7er for the price of a 5er -- a good bargain if you ask me.

Inline Sixer
02-03-2011, 05:14 PM

CA

:rofl:

You truly are the "captain".

car-fan
02-03-2011, 05:53 PM

I think your on target with your assessment. In my case when I don't feel like driving the truck its still nice to have the room in a sedan thats a bit shorter, and lower that still offers some flexibility. Case in point, with the left rear seat folded, I was able to put a 20 x10.5 rim and tire along with the full size Quinny Stroller. I still had room for the Recaro baby car seat installed on the right side. No need for the truck unless I am carrying quite a bit more stuff and say 4 adults, and/or just need the ground clearance to not be stuck when it floods during rainy season. Some people may classify the GT as a crossover, its not, its a luxury hatch. Why BMW just didn't classify it as a 7 series is still a mystery.

The 750i? Although the GT has basically the same wheel base , the GT still has more leg room than the standard 750i. Not to mention all of the luxury items of the 750i at a discount. 550i, although the F10 is bigger than the last generation e60, with a child seat in the back it ends up feeling like a slightly larger 3 series for the front passenger.

car-fan
02-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Maybe I am young at heart, but I think the average age for 5GT is over 50, I am 51, but not interested, no kids, just some fishing polls and a tent.

Pompous campers unite!

Well I have a while to go before I hit 50;) Looking foward to it though. 50 is the new 40, hell 30 in some cases:thumbup:

car-fan
02-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Let me be clear about the looks issue: I think the GT is a nice looking vehicle. I think it looks somewhat plain in comparison to the X6, which is striking vehicle and one of the best looking SUVs on the road. I don't see the GT as breaking ground in terms of styling, but it is elegant. I'd say the exact same thing about any of the wagons BMW has produced - none are eye catching, but all are attractive vehicles that I would not be ashamed to own.

I couldnt agree more. IMHO the GT is a car you have to spec to your liking. In haste I almost bought one with just the sport package. I would have kicked myself. Did I plan on adding 23k worth of options - no, but at the end of the day I am not bored, and none of my passengers are complaining;) Unless I pin them in their seats as a result of the DINAN ecu flash.:angel: That simple software enhancement has transformed this car.

That F11 touring is a "really nice car" though. If the US market was more accepting of wagons we would have more choices. I have also owned 2 Passat wagons, and a Benz Wagon. Personally, I just happen to like wagons your e91 included. I am also happy that GM had the balls to release the CTS Wagon let alone the CTS-V version. I still wonder why Dodge killed the Magnum? It was a worth while option to some especially the SRT-8 . Sorry I am getting off topic.

Kilgore Trout
02-03-2011, 06:23 PM
I couldnt agree more. IMHO the GT is a car you have to spec to your liking. In haste I almost bought one with just the sport package. I would have kicked myself. Did I plan on adding 23k worth of options - no, but at the end of the day I am not bored, and none of my passengers are complaining;) Unless I pin them in their seats as a result of the DINAN ecu flash.:angel: That simple software enhancement has transformed this car.

That F11 touring is a "really nice car" though. If the US market was more accepting of wagons we would have more choices. I have also owned 2 Passat wagons, and a Benz Wagon. Personally, I just happen to like wagons your e91 included. I am also happy that GM had the balls to release the CTS Wagon let alone the CTS-V version. I still wonder why Dodge killed the Magnum? It was a worth while option to some especially the SRT-8 . Sorry I am getting off topic.

This is why I had a negative reaction the GT. Not that I don't appreciate the idea. Following your logic, I think the 5 GT made perfect sense for you. What I hate, however, is that BMW is only giving the American public the option of SUVs and Psuedo-hatces like the 5 GT and not wagons.

Years back, the Mazda 626 came in four varieties: Sedan, wagon, five door hatch (which was much like today's concept of a 5 GT, Honda Crosstour, etc), and coupe (which, back then, was called the MX-6). I don't think the five-door hatch is a bad idea at all for some owners, I just wish that BMW would still import the wagons. Because for a guy like me (who is all about camping and cycling), wagons are more ideal.

westwest888
02-03-2011, 08:39 PM

I agree it looked like it had about as much room as a Japanese hatch.

bayoucity
02-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Okay, westwest888 is going to have a field day. This beats both 5GT & X6.

I applause Audi for bringing it across the pond > http://models.audiusa.com/a7 :thumbup:

andrewm2211
02-03-2011, 10:51 PM
^^^

Snap! I will admit that Audi's version looks way better!

westwest888
02-03-2011, 11:23 PM

I applause Audi for bringing it across the pond > http://models.audiusa.com/a7 :thumbup:

A7. Damn got my engine and everything. The nice 19" wheels. Looks like the new CLS550. If I was 40 I'd get it. Wait until they cram the Lambo V10 in the S7. X-Rated will have to make another Hitler movie.

I saw a 5 series GT the month they came out in Palm Springs (about 1 year ago). I thought it looked sharp. But I'm sure the guy that bought it doesn't have it any more. He looked like the 12 month lease type, very international. He's probably in Saint Tropez right now on some James Bond yacht.

FCBayernFTW
02-03-2011, 11:40 PM
You hit the nail on the head....spot on

We're all different...so it's easy to judge, I don't mean anything by it, we all do it.

As for the "hammer meet nail" stuff, I'm not completely sure what you mean.

car-fan
02-04-2011, 07:47 AM

I've been watching the evolution of this car for a while. I like it. Exterior design is on point:) Current engine specs dictate that it will be formidable competition for the 535 GT Xdrive at first. Although the GT still has more flexibility with the extra hatch, rear seats that recline, as well as move fore and aft, to allow for extra cargo room and/or passenger comfort.The Interior of the A7 is nice as well, although the pop up NAV looks kind of aftermarket. I drove the new 2011 A8 which has a similar interior about a month ago out of curiosity - nice car.

bayoucity
02-04-2011, 08:15 AM
A7. Damn got my engine and everything. The nice 19" wheels. Looks like the new CLS550. If I was 40 I'd get it. Wait until they cram the Lambo V10 in the S7. X-Rated will have to make another Hitler movie.

I saw a 5 series GT the month they came out in Palm Springs (about 1 year ago). I thought it looked sharp. But I'm sure the guy that bought it doesn't have it any more. He looked like the 12 month lease type, very international. He's probably in Saint Tropez right now on some James Bond yacht.

The design from B pillar to the rear will either make or break a hatch or 4 doors coupe. I'll have to give Audi credit for getting it done tastefully. For similar budget, I will rather wait & blow it on A7. It certainly makes 5GT, Panemera & X6 look ancient. Just my 2 cents.

Capobranco
02-04-2011, 10:29 AM
The design from B pillar to the rear will either make or break a hatch or 4 doors coupe. I'll have to give Audi credit for getting it done tastefully. For similar budget, I will rather wait & blow it on A7. It certainly makes 5GT, Panemera & X6 look ancient. Just my 2 cents.

Audi’s entrance into the premium hatch-back market will perhaps serve to provide critical mass to a market that is just emerging in the US. As more premium brands offer their interpretations- the concept of premium hatch will become more familiar and the segment will generally come to be perceived as a proper alternative domain of luxury cars. The Aston Martin Rapide. Porsche Panamera, BMW GT and now the Audi 7 each incorporates their unique brand language. As disparate as each offering is - when compared one to another – the design concept of a fast, stylish car that offers luxury and superior utility, and driving satisfaction, appears to be a central motivating principle common to all. In short - more to the party the better!

As to the Audi A7 – the car appears to masterfully incorporate the brands styling cues. The overall look from photos is very slick. I do wonder to what degree the styling compromises utility. In general the A7 perfectly communicates “Audiness” – a message that I have never desired or found appealing.

RaceBlood
02-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Premium Hatch

There has to be a better description...

Premium 5 door?

Funny I live next door to a BMW dealer here in Downtown Chicago and walk by everyday, they have never had one on the showroom floor, Audi is next door, and have not displayed the A7 either, though the Honda dealer across street, has a Crossover...

Capobranco
02-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Premium Hatch

There has to be a better description...

Premium 5 door?

Funny I live next door to a BMW dealer here in Downtown Chicago and walk by everyday, they have never had one on the showroom floor, Audi is next door, and have not displayed the A7 either, though the Honda dealer across street, has a Crossover...

Agreed - Premium 5 Door is a much more appealing name especially from a marketing perspective. Although the individualist in me who enjoys bending convention likes the in the idea of driving a premium "hatch" - the concept is an oxymoron to most Americans. Come trade in time - it's not going to be pretty - I'll be trading in a premium 5 door....I hope.

Kilgore Trout
02-04-2011, 11:16 AM
You hit the nail on the head....spot on

We're all different...so it's easy to judge, I don't mean anything by it, we all do it.

I actually PM'ed this rather classy poster to apologize for him for being so feisty in my disapproval of the X6. The bottom line for me is always that every driver has to make a decision about what their needs are. Personally, I would not be caught in a X6 or a 5-series GT. But, every poster in this thread who purchases one appears to have made a very informed choice and got exactly the vehicle they wanted and needed.

I guess I always think it is kind of silly when somebody posts "Your vehicle doesn't meet my needs, so it sucks...." That kind of mentality is every bit as bad as "your ordered a feature I don't need/want, so you made a mistake."

Different strokes for different folk. X6 and 5 GT are not for me, but I think it is great that BMW is offering owners choices and trying to address unique niches. Some of may not be that attracted to these specific vehicles, but I think BMW deserves some credit for attempting to innovate.

Capobranco
02-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I actually PM'ed this rather classy poster to apologize for him for being so feisty in my disapproval of the X6. The bottom line for me is always that every driver has to make a decision about what their needs are. Personally, I would not be caught in a X6 or a 5-series GT. But, every poster in this thread who purchases one appears to have made a very informed choice and got exactly the vehicle they wanted and needed.

I guess I always think it is kind of silly when somebody posts "Your vehicle doesn't meet my needs, so it sucks...." That kind of mentality is every bit as bad as "your ordered a feature I don't need/want, so you made a mistake."

Different strokes for different folk. X6 and 5 GT are not for me, but I think it is great that BMW is offering owners choices and trying to address unique niches. Some of may not be that attracted to these specific vehicles, but I think BMW deserves some credit for attempting to innovate.

YES! :thumbup:

I have owned many cars but my Porsche 911 turbo and BMW 525itouring were two very disparate cars that I thoroughly enjoyed and I put more than 100,000 miles on each. I often pined for one car that would feature elements I found desirous in both. I car - not an SUV - I could use on a daily basis that would satisfy my need for utility, comfort, and driving satisfaction. I feel that BMW built a bespoke vehicle just for me - a 550i GT.

captainaudio
02-04-2011, 11:57 AM
A while back there was a BMW "Gran Coupe" concept car making the rounds of the major auto shows.
It was a very attractive design.

http://www.abuzh.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/BMW-Gran-Coupe-Concept-2010-Front-Angle.jpg

More in the spirit of the Porsche Panamera than the 5GT but IMO much nicer looking than the Panamera.

CA

FCBayernFTW
02-04-2011, 12:24 PM
^^ Looks very much like the upcoming 6 series Coupe, with 4 doors.

Sweet car. Hope to see it in real life one day.

Capobranco
02-04-2011, 12:30 PM
A while back there was a BMW "Gran Coupe" concept car making the rounds of the major auto shows.
It was a very attractive design.

http://www.abuzh.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/BMW-Gran-Coupe-Concept-2010-Front-Angle.jpg

More in the spirit of the Porsche Panamera than the 5GT but IMO much nicer looking than the Panamera.

CA

Aesthetically - perfection!

My understanding is that the "Gran Coupe" concept is a done deal. This will follow the new 6 series in one year. A beautiful car that embodies the spirit of gran turismo. However being a stretched 6 the utility factor will be greatly diminished I imagine. I see the BMW GT and the Gran Coupe satisfying different niches. I crossed shopped a Panamera but found the BMW more attune with my desires and needs. In passing - I find a stock GT boring - the twin turbo V-8, Sport Pack 20" wheels and dynamic handling combined with the luxury and utility made the GT compelling and mitigated the Panamera's sporting DNA. In general I view the new BMW Gran Coupe as a "poor" man's alternative to an Aston Martin Rapide.

hpowders
02-04-2011, 12:31 PM
In 5 Series GT, GT obviously stands for Grosse Tuckus.

RaceBlood
02-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Okay, I walked by the BMW dealer by home here in Chicago, and low and behold, they had a GT in Black in the showroom.

Man, its a 7 on the inside, but a 5 as poster above says, even though I looked at the website I didnt notice the dash difference, which is way nicer than the 5. Anyway, I think the Black color masked the rear C pillar slope/windows well, compared to light colors where the trim shows the lines more prominently. That said, its a BIG car, but not at big as I thought, I can see the virtues now much better of performance meets utility in a sedan facade...

That is one chunk of car, man...

Capobranco
02-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Okay, I walked by the BMW dealer by home here in Chicago, and low and behold, they had a GT in Black in the showroom.

Man, its a 7 on the inside, but a 5 as poster above says, even though I looked at the website I didnt notice the dash difference, which is way nicer than the 5. Anyway, I think the Black color masked the rear C pillar slope/windows well, compared to light colors where the trim shows the lines more prominently. That said, its a BIG car, but not at big as I thought, I can see the virtues now much better of performance meets utility in a sedan facade...

That is one chunk of car, man...

Yep...huge - it's built on 7 series architecture. When I first drove off from the dealership on a rainy night after trading my 335i - the magnitude of the thing and my folly - hit me....whoa, I thought, have I ever made a HUGE mistake - whatever possessed me to do this. As I circumnavigated the Beltway through Virginia where there is really nasty road construction I thought... great - lousy road - huge car - huge 20 inch wheels with runflats.... I deserve it. Well.....my 5GT said "watch me". ******* unbelievable - the compliance of the suspension smoothed the road - the dynamic suspension tautly allowed the GT to negotiate obstacles at high speed and the creamy power of the twin turbo V8 seemed to be a bottomless passion pit that would require serious future exploration. In two months of ownership, I have put 3500 miles on the car, and the car continues to make me smile. I have come to appreciate just how small a huge car can drive.

Inline Sixer
02-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Yep...huge - it's built on 7 series architecture. When I first drove off from the dealership on a rainy night - the magnitude of the thing and my folly - hit me....whoa, I thought, have I ever made a HUGE mistake - whatever possessed me to do this. As I circumnavigated the Beltway through Virginia where there is really nasty road construction I thought great - lousy road - huge car - huge 20 inch wheels with runflats.... I deserve it. Well.....my 5GT said “watch me”. Fu*king unbelievable - the compliance of the suspension smoothed the road - the dynamic suspension tautly allowed the GT to negotiate obstacles at high speed and the creamy power of the twin turbo V8 seemed to be a bottomless passion pit that would require serious future exploration. In two months of ownership, I have put 3500 miles on the car, and the car continues to make me smile. I have come to appreciate just how small a huge car can drive.

It's got that feature too that allows the rear wheels to turn with the front wheels at high speeds, or turn opposite the fronts for parking. Nice.

westwest888
02-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Does the 550i also have the HPFP problem? Or is that engine safe?

RaceBlood
02-04-2011, 07:47 PM
You just had to spoil everything with a F word....

Capobranco
02-04-2011, 08:00 PM
You just had to spoil everything with a F word....

Yeah you are right...I apologize...unbridled exuberance...

Capobranco
02-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Does the 550i also have the HPFP problem? Or is that engine safe?

No issues here and I do not believe any have been reported on the F10 site...so far a very smooth problem free ride....

Rock36
02-05-2011, 03:40 AM

Wow I think you just summed up what causes 3/4ths of all debates on all auto forums. :D

captainaudio
02-05-2011, 07:34 AM

What I find amusing is that many of the same people who carry on about how unique their car is and now much attention it gets criticize anyone who bought something different,

I guess their idea of a perfect world is one where when they pull up to a stop light in their unique high status car they are surrounded by unique high status cars identical to theirs.

CA

PhilipWOT
02-05-2011, 07:37 AM
5 GT- Lol it with fire

Sent from my pants using WeinerApp

captainaudio
02-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Aesthetically - perfection!

My understanding is that the "Gran Coupe" concept is a done deal. This will follow the new 6 series in one year. A beautiful car that embodies the spirit of gran turismo. However being a stretched 6 the utility factor will be greatly diminished I imagine. I see the BMW GT and the Gran Coupe satisfying different niches. I crossed shopped a Panamera but found the BMW more attune with my desires and needs. In passing - I find a stock GT boring - the twin turbo V-8, Sport Pack 20" wheels and dynamic handling combined with the luxury and utility made the GT compelling and mitigated the Panamera's sporting DNA. In general I view the new BMW Gran Coupe as a "poor" man's alternative to an Aston Martin Rapide.

I don't think that the 5GT and the Gran Coupe are really in the same category. The Gran Coupe is IMO more of a traditional GT car than the 5GT is. The 5GT is in a sense a high performance luxury crossover but the marketing department probably did not like that term, Perhaps the 5GT and similar vehicles will be considered the vehicles that redifined what a 'GT' car is.

Most of these car categories are created by the marketing departments. There are probably a number of people here who can remember when Detroit was selling "Hardtop Convertibles" (with fixed roofs) and "2 Door Sedans" and "Sport Coupes", and the Brits were selling "Fixed Head Coupes" and "Drop Head Coupes".

In any case whatever the 5GT's category is it obviously is an ideal vehicle for your purposes and I am sure that it is a pleasure to drive.

CA

dtc100
02-05-2011, 08:19 AM
People who own some hybrid unique 5 series models bragging about their choice in a 3 series forum, the personality certainly fits the car, they deserve each other, a perfect fit IMHO.

Capobranco
02-05-2011, 10:21 AM
What I find amusing is that many of the same people who carry on about how unique their car is and now much attention it gets criticize anyone who bought something different,

I guess their idea of a perfect world is one where when they pull up to a stop light in their unique high status car they are surrounded by unique high status cars identical to theirs.

CA

The same generally holds true with respect to life in general. The unconventional or those things or people who do not conform to generally accepted notions of what is good and true better have an inner fortitude that allows them to blaze their own path because it is going to be rough ride.

I don't think that the 5GT and the Gran Coupe are really in the same category. The Gran Coupe is IMO more of a traditional GT car than the 5GT is. The 5GT is in a sense a high performance luxury crossover but the marketing department probably did not like that term, Perhaps the 5GT and similar vehicles will be considered the vehicles that redifined what a 'GT' car is.

Most of these car categories are created by the marketing departments. There are probably a number of people here who can remember when Detroit was selling "Hardtop Convertibles" (with fixed roofs) and "2 Door Sedans" and "Sport Coupes", and the Brits were selling "Fixed Head Coupes" and "Drop Head Coupes".

In any case whatever the 5GT's category is it obviously is an ideal vehicle for your purposes and I am sure that it is a pleasure to drive.

CA

I agree. The Gran Coupe is very close to the traditional idea of what constitutes a GT car.
The 5 GT has a unique voice and is still seeking an audience. I find the car uniquely suited to my needs but it is still an open question if there is a critical mass of like minded people who appreciate or require the unique capabilities of a very unconventional gender bending GT. With respect to the marketing the car as a GT - I originally thought that was a bit of a stretch - marketing puffery - but having experienced the magic of the car - I view the large GT insignia on the car as an earned medal to be worn with pride.

RaceBlood
02-06-2011, 08:41 AM
There is a article in this weeks Autoweek, about the soon to be announced Audi A9, a fastback based on the A8, though sharing a development/chassis with Lamborghini, though the hold up is having a lower front suspension/engine set up for a low hood line (Porsche Panamera) for the Lambo. 2013 at the earliest.

I would post the link but you have to subscribe.

Inline Sixer
02-06-2011, 10:00 AM
People who own some hybrid unique 5 series models bragging about their choice in a 3 series forum, the personality certainly fits the car, they deserve each other, a perfect fit IMHO.

In fairness, this thread was started by a non-GT owner. Started out as GT-bashing, eventually sucking folks in from the F07 forum. Glad to have them as guests here though.

Capobranco
02-08-2011, 06:46 PM
In fairness, this thread was started by a non-GT owner. Started out as GT-bashing, eventually sucking folks in from the F07 forum. Glad to have them as guests here though.

The progression of this thread has been very interesting, initially vociferous uninformed opinion ruled. As the thread moved forward many E90 drivers came to appreciate that the 5 GT was indeed a true BMW endowed with qualities a BMW enthusiast expects from the brand. I owned four BMWs before purchasing my 550i GT and was last ride was a 335i vert, which I always found most engaging. When BMW initally announced the 5 GT, I thought a conflicted committee must have designed the car and the result was a “Camel” and so stated on the E90 forum.

After I inspected the GT in the flesh and drove it, I felt very conflicted. I asked myself, how I could have been so wrong. My mind and eyes told me that the 5 GT was a very special BMW offering unlike any other, but emotionally, I was invested in the past. Once I evaluated the 5 GT on its own terms, I was able to see that the 5 GT was indeed a very special BMW and uniquely suited to my needs and desires and purchased my 550i GT over a Panamera. Perhaps some of the confusion over the 5GT is self-inflicted by BMW naming the GT a 5 when the car is a based on the 7 series. A more apt name is 750i GT.

dogguyX3
02-17-2011, 08:20 PM
... BMW naming the GT a 5 when the car is a based on the 7 series. A more apt name is 750i GT.

Much more Apt! :thumbup: I got a ride in one Black with white leather,
The guys at the airport were wowed by me, because I got out of that magnificent Car.
One Guy said, "is that BMW Limo? Kewl!!"

Got to dive it too, and the Sport Plus is a rocket ship. :drive: :wow:

Rob 379
02-18-2011, 12:13 AM
BMW has been falling behind generally in the design stakes. Both Audi and Mercedes have produced better looking cars. The 5 series GT is hideous. In real life it is big and seems out of place. I remember when Mercedes used to make "old men's cars". Now BMW make them. They need to freshen up their ideas on styling and get back to the young, sporty look that we're used to.

Capobranco
02-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Much more Apt! :thumbup: I got a ride in one Black with white leather,
The guys at the airport were wowed by me, because I got out of that magnificent Car.
One Guy said, "is that BMW Limo? Kewl!!"

Got to dive it too, and the Sport Plus is a rocket ship. :drive: :wow:

Your experience does not surprise me. I receive frequent unsolicited compliments. Most people believe that the GT costs considerably more than its actual price. It is great you got a chance to actually drive a GT. Dynamically the 550i GT posts exceptional numbers. Numbers aside, I find the driving experience to be very engaging.

BMW has been falling behind generally in the design stakes. Both Audi and Mercedes have produced better looking cars. The 5 series GT is hideous. In real life it is big and seems out of place. I remember when Mercedes used to make "old men's cars". Now BMW make them. They need to freshen up their ideas on styling and get back to the young, sporty look that we're used to.

When I owned a Porsche 911 Turbo I was appalled at the idea of a Porsche Cayenne. I considered the Panamera to be a bloated whale of a car. When I owned my E39 touring the idea of a BMW X5 seemed nothing short of heretical. Car enthusiasts are often invested emotionally and financially in the past and gain succor by surrounding themselves with persons who share their opinions. The tyranny of this arrogant group think stifles innovation at the corporate level, and potentially personal freedom of choice. I owned a 335i which I enjoyed but my family considered tortuous. Needing more space, I was neither comfortable with the anonymity and space of the 550i, nor was I entirely in tune with the traditional image of the 7 series. The 550i GT provided a uniquely BMW answer to my quest, by offering compelling luxury, utility, engaging performance, and athletically robust styling that artfully incorporated BMW styling cues. I commend BMW on their foresight and courage to bring the GT concept to fruition.