BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW tech advise

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  BobSC 
#1 ·
I recently come to know a BMW master tech at the dealer where I bring my car for services. Tech advise to change oil every 7k instead of 15k like BMW recommend bc valtronic lifter will clogg and causing rough idle and check engine light. By the way just bought this m6 set wheels wit almost new tires for 400 will install tomorrow on the wife 550

See less See more
#8 ·
I do mine evry 5k too... and great deal on the wheels..

#9 · (Edited)
I recently come to know a BMW master tech at the dealer where I bring my car for services. Tech advise to change oil every 7k instead of 15k like BMW recommend bc valtronic lifter will clogg and causing rough idle and check engine light. By the way just bought this m6 set wheels wit almost new tires for 400 will install tomorrow on the wife 550
The best thing to do is just run the oil to what the car says; the system monitors engine speed and other stuff to determine how long the oil will last. If your kinda weary of it, do it 2 or 3K before it's due according to the car.

IMO if you use a good oil that's PROPERLY rated unlike some Mobil 1 products, you should be fine. Just be sure that it's ACEA A3/B3 rated. Mobil 1 is rated A1/B1 which doesn't meet the requirements for the oil our cars use. Those VANOS lifters making noise is from a LACK of changing oil when it's really needed. Oil will gum up when it's over-run to much. If you run the factory stuff past what it tells you to, then you enter that area. But if you are changing it around 1K or 500 miles before the car tells you to, you should be fine as long as your dealer is using BMW oil and not some off-brand or "bulk" oil.

#15 ·
What is the approx price of an oil change? Ive had my 335i for about 5k miles now and thinking about having it serviced. The dealership says to wait until my car tells me have it serviced. But I would love to save some money by bringing it to an indy. Any opinions on indy's changing my oil? Am I losing some inspection points maybe?

#17 ·
This is a very old debate with BMW's. A lot of members change their oil more frequently than recommended....but most BMW service people (yours excluded) will tell you its not necessary. You can make a strong argument either way. I would do whichever you feel comfortable with......because while it may be a waste of money....it certainly can't hurt the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.