BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Parking brake actuator

28K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  mgucci745 
#1 ·
My parking light is on and found out the parking brake actuator located in the trunk is bad does anyone know where i can find one (other than the dealer) or point me in the direction of someone that has one thanks...

#2 ·
I had that same problem after I got my car after a recall on the brake booster. Had to call tech out he took the car for 20 mins came back all good. All he said that he had to lift the car take a cover off underneath and reset something. I know he didn't install anything new and nothing was changed. Seems like it was an easy fix but I have no idea what exactly he did.

#5 ·
Rebuild kits??

I'm in need of a parking brake actuator and found a place in California that you can send your old part and they will rebuild it for $400, got me thinking, anyone selling a rebuild kit for our parking brake actuators? I think it would be an easy job if we can buy the parts.

#8 ·
Freaking beautiful. Great find!

#11 ·
do you know how easy is it to remove that brake actuator? is there a DIY anywhere, I searched but I couldn't find anything
I can remove it, but the cables look kind of hard to remove, any tips?

thanks
They are pretty easy to pull apart. At the link above there is a video that shows how to take it all apart.

#10 ·
I'm getting a parkin brake malfunction light ,whilecim driving causing the car to shut down at times ,this just started after my battery died,also I went to my fuse box and placed some fuses in empty slots,now u think the fuses were taken out for a reason

Sent from my MB501 using Bimmer App

#13 ·
i bought one yesterday in azusa, ca called lots of parts. i paid 400 for it. i called a indy and they told me they would charge me 400 to install it. so i took a shot at it and i swear it had to be the easiest thing you can ever do. it took me 10 mins to have it in and out. i cant believe that they were gonna charge me 400 for something i can do it 5 mins.

#18 · (Edited)
You don't have to just push the parking break button like 5 times to reinitialize / recode / relearn its extents? I could have sworn I read that a while back. .....well, I was close...see below.

Initialization of the parking brake (from WDS)

1. After replacement of the drum brake linings:
- Ignition on and press parking brake button 4 times.

2. After replacing the parking brake control module:
- Deactivate assembly mode (service functions).

3. After coding the parking brake control module:
- Run a reset of the parking brake control module.

#27 ·
Hello I have a e65 witch is giving me a code of parking break failure I researched and I have now found the issue it was the gear that on the top of the actuator but my question is can some one tell me how to get this gear out ? So I can purchase the part and repair please ! I will also drop a photo it will be the circle thing above the gear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.