PDA

View Full Version : BMW Alexandria Egypt - Trashed by Looters!

tim330i
02-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Sad to see a BMW dealership and all those bimmers in such bad shape!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-aHEgipPgQ&feature=player_embedded#

jcatral14
02-09-2011, 08:33 PM
That's a damn shame :tsk:

bmw528e
02-10-2011, 01:49 PM
:yikes: OH WOW!!!! :yikes: Just Unbelievable!!!
WHY!?? WHO??? :dunno:
any more info??

MarlboroMan
02-10-2011, 02:42 PM
damn! :eek:

TopDownInFL
02-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Senseless. That's going to be one hell of an insurance payment.

wmo168
02-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Where are all the cars in the showroom went?

Beemerup
02-11-2011, 12:00 PM
I was under the impression that this was a much more sophisticated country. But when you see things like this....it's just a shame and sure does give license to stereotype.

Inline Sixer
02-12-2011, 04:07 PM
This was painful to watch.

jussimple
02-12-2011, 06:05 PM
It only shows the state of mind that is created when the masses gets together and reason goes out the window. I'm sure this was orchestrated from the beginning. To bad that those cars were destroyed.

BlaZinMJ3
02-12-2011, 09:37 PM
you guys do understand that this is nothing compared to hurricane katrina looting. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9063708/ns/us_news-katrina_the_long_road_back/

BlaZinMJ3
02-12-2011, 09:41 PM
I was under the impression that this was a much more sophisticated country. But when you see things like this....it's just a shame and sure does give license to stereotype.

you make this quote because of a few thugs? thats not a fair statement

Andrew*Debbie
02-13-2011, 02:15 AM
was under the impression that this was a much more sophisticated country.

Civilians in Alexandria protected the library as protesters marched by. If the protests were just about looting, they would have targeted the library.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/02/07/robertson.alexandria.library.cnn?iref=allsearch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz7FXTG_byA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6ARvokbPFU

As for the BMW dealership:

Could have been anger against the wealthy elite or simple criminal behavior.

There are criminals everywhere. Criminals take advantage of a lapse of law and order because they are criminals.

In Egypt the rich are very rich and the poor are very poor. Many of the wealthy are or recently were govt. insiders and supporters.

MaverickE60
02-13-2011, 03:05 PM

I'm guessing you're quite comfortable in your ignorant little sterotypical cave. You haven't traveled much, you haven't bothered to expand your myopic horizons, nor do you bother to understand why such an event might have happened.

Looters have no common religion or culture. There are individuals who are just one hour away from anarchy and lawlessness; such individuals are to be found in all societies in all corners of the Earth. I live in Toronto and I've seen some pretty bad looting twice in the past decade - once during the Aug. 2003 blackout, and then again last year during the G20 protests. And these are your "stereotypical" Canadians - sedate, laid-back, peace-loving, Mary Jane smoking, mellow Northerners. Yeah right.

What happened in the video above was for any of the three likely reasons:

1.) Looters just running amok and creating anarchy in a state where civil institutions broke down (such as the police forces).

2.) Gauging by the fact that many cars had tires and engine hoods missing, I presume that this dealership was looted because protesters were looking for defensive materials. Tires for barricades, engine hoods for shields, etc. I'm fairly certain there were other brands' car dealerships that were similarly looted.

3.) Another probability is - as one commentator mentioned already - is that protesters were lashing out at the government and business interests that many felt were responsible for the state of political oppression that existed in Egypt. As is the case all around the world, many BMW dealerships are privately owned businesses, and not corporate. If it was known that the owner of this dealership was in bed with the Mubarak regime, then I completely understand why the place was ransacked.

All of this isn't very hard to figure out, presuming you're an educated professional.

Use your brain if you have one.

S93D
02-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Imported cars with an engine larger than 1.6 l get taxed 220%. So a $50,000 car become $160,000. That in a country where the average wage is in the single digits (US dollars) per day.

To reduce the cost, BMW makes 3, 5, and 7 series cars there. However, they only made about 800 cars 2-3 years ago. I don't know the current figure.

In contrast, income in the U.S. is much higher and cars cost much less.

vandyjmf05
02-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Shows how irrational looters are. The value of the car is greater than the sum of its parts. Instead of stealing the car as a whole, they stripped it down for the parts and ended up coming away with less. Foolish.

I'm not endorsing theft.

BIMMERUSAM5
02-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Shows how irrational looters are. The value of the car is greater than the sum of its parts. Instead of stealing the car as a whole, they stripped it down for the parts and ended up coming away with less. Foolish.
I'm not endorsing theft.

:p

You think it would be easier to sell the car VS parts in a state of turmoil like Egypt is in now?

Andrew*Debbie
02-15-2011, 12:27 AM

I'm not endorsing theft.

BMWs are hard to steal if you don't have the keys.

vandyjmf05
02-15-2011, 08:22 AM
My point was meant to be illustrative, not practical. But I would imagine the keys would be somewhere in the dealership?

marcelliot
02-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Could have happened anywhere when a mob gets together

BIMMERUSAM5
02-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Could have happened anywhere when a mob gets together

That's true....:thumbup:

Just look at the 1992 Los Angeles riots. Many places were looted.

Patrick
02-21-2011, 08:18 AM
I'm guessing you're quite comfortable in your ignorant little sterotypical cave. You haven't traveled much, you haven't bothered to expand your myopic horizons, nor do you bother to understand why such an event might have happened.

Looters have no common religion or culture. There are individuals who are just one hour away from anarchy and lawlessness; such individuals are to be found in all societies in all corners of the Earth. I live in Toronto and I've seen some pretty bad looting twice in the past decade - once during the Aug. 2003 blackout, and then again last year during the G20 protests. And these are your "stereotypical" Canadians - sedate, laid-back, peace-loving, Mary Jane smoking, mellow Northerners. Yeah right.

What happened in the video above was for any of the three likely reasons:

1.) Looters just running amok and creating anarchy in a state where civil institutions broke down (such as the police forces).

2.) Gauging by the fact that many cars had tires and engine hoods missing, I presume that this dealership was looted because protesters were looking for defensive materials. Tires for barricades, engine hoods for shields, etc. I'm fairly certain there were other brands' car dealerships that were similarly looted.

3.) Another probability is - as one commentator mentioned already - is that protesters were lashing out at the government and business interests that many felt were responsible for the state of political oppression that existed in Egypt. As is the case all around the world, many BMW dealerships are privately owned businesses, and not corporate. If it was known that the owner of this dealership was in bed with the Mubarak regime, then I completely understand why the place was ransacked.

All of this isn't very hard to figure out, presuming you're an educated professional.

Use your brain if you have one.

Amazing first post. :thumbup:

BIMMERUSAM5
02-21-2011, 08:31 AM
amazing first post. :thumbup:

+1

emimix
02-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Very sad to see this ....

MarcA78
02-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Looks like LA after a Lakers game.

tim330i
02-22-2011, 10:15 AM
I've merged your thread with the thread on this topic already. Thanks for the before video, I added that to the first post.

Tim

Very sad to see this ....

BEFORE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYVDpIfXaYg&NR=1

AFTER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-aHEgipPgQ&sns=em

Bimmer750LI
02-22-2011, 12:14 PM
The 2nd video showing the "before" is of BMW of Alexandria Virginia (USA) not of BMW of Alexandria Egypt :dunno:

None-the-less a terrible sight to see!

Bimmer750LI
02-22-2011, 12:17 PM
The 2nd video showing the "before" is of BMW of Alexandria Virginia (USA) not of BMW of Alexandria Egypt

emimix
02-22-2011, 01:16 PM
The 2nd video showing the "before" is of BMW of Alexandria Virginia (USA) not of BMW of Alexandria Egypt

Thanks for the note...I got both videos in an email! :(

Bremen Ben
02-25-2011, 03:28 PM
What does the BMW dealership in Alexandria, Virginia have to do with the BMW dealership in Alexandria, Egypt? :confused:

BIMMERUSAM5
02-25-2011, 04:24 PM
What does the BMW dealership in Alexandria, Virginia have to do with the BMW dealership in Alexandria, Egypt? :confused:

:confused:

Both of the BMW dealerships are in a place called Alexandria....:ouch:

:p

Slaymaster
02-28-2011, 03:27 PM
What a bunch of dumb asses! Why wouldn't they at least steal the whole car??? :dunno: What a crime! :bawling: