PDA

View Full Version : Convertable...and windows rolled up?

Kimo330
02-09-2011, 12:00 PM
This question goes out to all beloved BMW convertible owners… I hope not to generate a criticism but rather answers.

The fundamental privilege as a convertible owner is to “Do whatever you like” so please don’t misunderstand me. Nevertheless, I have to question the wisdom and the motivation for some of the owners who has their top stowed and drive with all their windows rolled up?

Squiddie
02-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Less wind.

I usually roll them up on the Interstate. Or if I see that something has become loose in the car and might fly off.

CDirks
02-09-2011, 12:36 PM
I believe they call this being a "schnook"

mstrq
02-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Less wind on freeways.

Much warmer inside when temp is around 50.

When I'm riding with a girl, it won't mess up her hair.

Some sense of privacy... Sometimes I roll all the windows up to feel, well, private. lol.

E36 Phantom
02-09-2011, 02:44 PM
I used think the same, but when I got married I was cursed with my wife bringing her 2000 Sebring convertible to the mix. Horrible car, but that's another topic. On the freeway with windows down the air swirls around in the cabin and is incredibly noisy and annoying. Windows up and you can easily have a conversation and still enjoy the sun and a light breeze instead of a category 4 hurricane in the cabin.

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App

emyers
02-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Good info, I too have wondered about this as I have an 02 M Roadster, and when the top is down so are the windows, interstate, backroads makes no difference. But then again the cockpit is much smaller and with the wind blocker between the roll hoops installed, buffeting is not a problem.
Earl
02 M Roadster
74 2002Lux
72 Volvo 1800ES

iwanna330cic
02-09-2011, 04:55 PM
As one who has owned 12 convertibles (2 BMW's) I can say - YUP - that's the reason. Quieter, calmer, and warmer. Of course on really sunny, warm days, the windows go down - but the wind blocker might be up on the highway. I've driven (and I bet many others here have) mine in quite chilly weather (40's) with windows & block up, heat on, heated seats running, and it's a blast. Nothing wrong with that. What IS annoying to my sense of right & wrong is the guy driving a convertible in perfect weather with the top and windows up! ACK! :tsk:

Doug

Inline Sixer
02-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Less wind.

Less chance of pebble hitting eye.

Quiet.

Protection from jealous, ill-intentioned onlookers.

JimD1
02-12-2011, 10:00 AM
I drove mine to the hardware store today. It is in the low 40s and sunny here. No jacket. With the top down and windows up it was pretty comfortable. I had the wind blocker up. Windows down would mean putting the top up - much worse. When the weather is warmer, I leave the windows down until I hit the interstate. On the highway, the trucks make it too noisy so I put the windows up. As soon as reasonable, the windows go back down.

I do not like rolling the windows up with the top down but I do it when necessary to be comfortable.

Jim

EdCT
02-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Yes, the windows can be rolled up with the top down - use as you please.

a4ragtop
02-12-2011, 08:30 PM
What IS annoying to my sense of right & wrong is the guy driving a convertible in perfect weather with the top and windows up! ACK! :tsk:

Doug

This.

(Has anyone ever seen a Mercedes SL in any weather with the top down?)

Squiddie
02-14-2011, 03:32 PM
I think the SL's top is like in old American cars - a fake fabric top :D