BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Mods: 22s and vinyl wrap

8K views 55 replies 23 participants last post by  Db750 
#1 · (Edited)
Added black and white emblems and front liscense plate delete. Pics on 2nd page.

Whats up guys. I've been workin on my car for about the last week and finaly got my wheels in today. I ordered a 10 yard x 2 ft roll of gloss black vinyl off ebay for $35 including tax. I cut my own peices out and wrapped the chrome around my grill, the chrome strip on the front and back pdc pieces, the brushed aluminum trim between the tail lights, and the reverse/turn signal white parts on the tail lights. There are a few pieces I plan on re-wrapping this weekend, but overall it looks great. The wheels: MRR-GT1 silver with chrome lip. Anyway here are some pics. There was an inch of snow on the ground when I finally got done putting the wheels on. If anyone wants any info on vinyl wrapping let me know. This was my first time, but I've been reading about it for probably a year. The first pic is my favorite. Let me know what you guys think.

See less See more
#3 ·
I would have bought them. I never saw them on this forum for sale though:dunno: I saw them somewhere else under the same name but it was after I had ordered mine. I got a great deal on these though.

#12 ·
Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies and opinions.

Thanks, Will have it dropped by the summer.

Quarterto8 : I like your style man. I got the front liscense plate delete on the way and I'm tryin to decide between the black and white emblems and the all black emblems.

looks good

and i am the only one who doesnt like those wheels? :dunno:

i would also do the chrome trim around the windows and paint the wheels black

i however would leave the chrome part on the trunk and reverse lights not covered in tape. it really makes the rear look good, i think
Thanks seven11. Not that I would drop 5-6g's on 3 piece wheels but these wheels are actually my favorite and they are sooo cheap:thumbup:

Looks good overall, a drop is needed with 22's. also not sure of tape on the lights?? do they even shine through?
Drop is on the way 1bad. Your right about the tail lights. The visibility is a little better than I expected but I will most likely take it off and use some tint.

I really like the chrome strip on the back being blacked out and surprisingly I like the pin stripe too. I'm not too sure about the logo in the middle of it. I would definitely do the front plate delete. It helped mine out a lot.
Good lookin hotrod. Where did you get your front plate delete? I too surprisingy like the pin stripe. It adds contrast and highlights the long sexy body on the 7.

Looks good ...
Thank you kind sir

No problem man, I ended up getting more than I asked for on here and I didn't have to ship them. I'm going to be getting hr springs installed and replace tension strut and rear upper control arms before i put a new set of wheels on. Possibly doing 745 to 750 facelift also.
Congrats on the sale. You have a lot of work ahead! What type of wheels are you looking at?

I am typically NOT a fan of 'vinyl wraps'.

This however is "well done". :thumbup: :thumbup:
I really appreciate this TX. I was very apprehensive going into the project and was prepared to have everything painted if the quality of my work was not up to the standards of the 7. Like I said it's not 100% perfect but hopefully after this weekend I can have it close. One of the main perks of doing the vinyl wrap is that in a few hours I can strip it all off and be back to stock and ready to sell the car. Plus you can't beat $35 on the whole project:thumbup: I still have 25 yards of vinyl left. Im doing My friends e92 335 this weekend (window trim, reflectors, and some faded trim on his roof).

#5 ·
Wow! Car looks really nice! I liked how you left the chrome trim around your windows to match up rims a little and obviously love that you decided to film the white part of your taillights leaving the red alone. Im not really feeling the black front plate, id just have it completely removed. Next I would suggest is to get black and white emblems and drop the car.
Whats up guys. I've been workin on my car for about the last week and finaly got my wheels in today. I ordered a 10 yard x 2 ft roll of gloss black vinyl off ebay for $35 including tax. I cut my own peices out and wrapped the chrome around my grill, the chrome strip on the front and back pdc pieces, the brushed aluminum trim between the tail lights, and the reverse/turn signal white parts on the tail lights. There are a few pieces I plan on re-wrapping this weekend, but overall it looks great. The wheels: MRR-GT1 silver with chrome lip. Anyway here are some pics. There was an inch of snow on the ground when I finally got done putting the wheels on. If anyone wants any info on vinyl wrapping let me know. This was my first time, but I've been reading about it for probably a year. The first pic is my favorite. Let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App

#6 ·
looks good

and i am the only one who doesnt like those wheels? :dunno:

i would also do the chrome trim around the windows and paint the wheels black

i however would leave the chrome part on the trunk and reverse lights not covered in tape. it really makes the rear look good, i think

#16 ·
Car does look good, but the black-out theme really isn't my cup of tea :p.

Seven, I'm with you, they look a little to "boy-racerish" to me and as well agree about those chrome strips. With the rims having a bright finish, having some contrast will look good and flow with the car, but since you don't have the "chrome" door handles, the window trim looks odd in chrome.

#7 ·
Looks good overall, a drop is needed with 22's. also not sure of tape on the lights?? do they even shine through?

#13 ·
I really appreciate this TX. I was very apprehensive going into the project and was prepared to have everything painted if the quality of my work was not up to the standards of the 7. Like I said it's not 100% perfect but hopefully after this weekend I can have it close. One of the main perks of doing the vinyl wrap is that in a few hours I can strip it all off and be back to stock and ready to sell the car. Plus you can't beat $35 on the whole project I still have 25 yards of vinyl left. Im doing My friends e92 335 this weekend (window trim, reflectors, and some faded trim on his roof).
That ability to "change it back with little effort and quickly" is another plus.

#26 ·
For sure

I want to get a wheel with a Chrome lip and brushed faced, 3 piece. Or maybe the 20in stock wheels. Pot holes are horrible here and i just want to relax while driving.
Nice, can't wait to see the final result.

Looking sharp - nice job!
Thank you:)

Car does look good, but the black-out theme really isn't my cup of tea :p.

Seven, I'm with you, they look a little to "boy-racerish" to me and as well agree about those chrome strips. With the rims having a bright finish, having some contrast will look good and flow with the car, but since you don't have the "chrome" door handles, the window trim looks odd in chrome.
I kinda agree with you on the tail lights "look" but I really like it. Def not gonna do any chrome door handles. I might try and wrap the window trim this weekend. Honestly though, on this model BMW, specifically the 06-08 750 in black, I have begun to really like the window trim. I think it flows well with the roof line and makes the car look classy. On any other model BMW including the 3,5, and 6 the sport package would be a must for not only the more sporty black trim but also the sport seats, suspension, and wheels. However my car came with the comfort seats, 19" wheels, and I prefer the non-sport steering wheel and h&r springs are on the horizon so I was happy to not have the sport package.

Wow how long did it take
I am assuming you are refering to the vinyl:dunno: Different parts took varying amounts of time. Straight trim pieces were easy. The trim between the tail lights that flows into them took prob 30 min in all and looks 100% professional. The chrome trim around the car was pretty easy too. The hardest parts where the bottom of the tail lights and the chrome around the kidneys. I had to use a hair dryer to heat and stretch the flat sheet of vinyl over the curved surfaces. Overall I probably spent about 7 hours doing everything (my first Time). I will probably spend 3 more this weekend re-wrapping a couple parts. The vinyl I bought was comp-u-cut sign vinyl from eBay user http://myworld.ebay.com/kiasupplies/. Cost 35$ with shipping and arrived in 2 days. I still have 25 feet to play with. I even wrapped some of my interior trim but it looked like garbage on my cream/black.

Whoa! My dealer needs to include some KY then... :confused:
Haha it took me a minute to get that. I was like is he talkin about me being from Kentucky(ky)???

i don't think he wanted that style.. cuz MRR does make that style in black as well.. that would have been my choice.
+1 very true

Looks very good but its begging for a drop. You need to drop it on some H&R's. Since you deleting all the chrome the chrome around the windows has to go as well, your wheels need to be black, atleast the centers. Then its not gonna looks good, its gonna look sick!
the more I hear it needs a drop the higher it looks:mad: don't want the all black look...I think it looks sick now:thumbup:

Thanks for all the advice, opinions, and replies. I appreciate what everyone has said so far.

#30 · (Edited)
I thinks so too and I appreciate you noticing. I never noticed how much I liked your car untill you posted about a month ago about bringing it out of storage. I don't know what the color is called but with the black wheels and trim and crazy drop it is straight SICK. Your Porsche is also amazing.:thumbup:

Nice, real nice
Good lookin out SC

Car looks great bro, I love what you did with the vinyl. Definitley needs a drop, I guess I will be putting the spring on before purchasing my wheels.
Thank you man, I appreciate it, but dam, I can't believe the wheel gap is so bad that you would do the springs before the wheels....

...I was actually looking at selling my car and getting into an 07-08 XKR coupe but the girlfriend said if I got another car before she got a ring she was leaving(3 cars in 3 years). So anyway I found a loophole and began modding my 7...and transferring the rest of my "new car fund" into an "engagement ring fund":angel:

#32 ·
I may do it in the future but I really like the way the brushed aluminum trim accentuates the body lines of the bsm 7. If I didn't have tint it would be a must.

#37 ·
Thank you. I knew that some would like it and some would not.

#38 ·
Thank you.

#35 ·
I looks beautiful! In my opinion, the chrome trim makes it look so stylish. Maybe because everything is black I can't see so big of a gap for a drop?

Other times I feel like 22's look way to huge for this car but dang! It's at perfect right now!

#39 ·
I looks beautiful! In my opinion, the chrome trim makes it look so stylish. Maybe because everything is black I can't see so big of a gap for a drop?

Other times I feel like 22's look way to huge for this car but dang! It's at perfect right now!
I appreciate it. I am not big on the brushed aluminum trim but for some reason it looks good to me with these wheels on the 750.

#40 ·
Appreciate it Midwest!

#41 ·
Thanks guys for all the comments good or bad. Rather than start a new thread I decided to post here.

Just added the front license plate delete and black and white emblems. The trunk emblem deserves it's own thread...

Springs coming in about a month...gotta keep the girlfriend happy for now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.