PDA

View Full Version : 2011 BMW X-Drive

champ57
02-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Hello everybody, my wife is debating on whether to get a 2011 coupe with all the options vs getting the X-drive. Any suggestions? I was always under the impression that the AWD made the car heavier and therefore be less fuel efficient. Any idea whether the resale value would be better, worse or neutral by buying the AWD? Any ads/con info on driveability of the X-drive vs the regular 335 coupe? Thanks.

bmw_n00b13
02-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Wow. Someone posted here!!

I like the idea of xDrive in areas it snows, but I'm not sure it would be worth the added cost. Given the history of failing ABS modules over most manufacturers and given that xDrive is run by a similar system... :unsure:
Either way if you drive in snow, you need snow tyres. If you disagree, you haven't driven with snow tires before. :) My RWD with snows performs extremely well in snow. It's also important to note that, if you can't get out of the driveway with a RWD car, chances are you won't be driving in particularly safe conditions (can't stop, steer, etc) even if you have an AWD. You're only as good as your ground clearance anyways.

If you dont drive in real snow (something the lower mainland doesn't get, not even in 2009) don't get xDrive. Not worth it. Not remotely.

Ask the question in the relevant model subforum, you'll probably get more info there (most will probably disagree :p)

mad villain
02-15-2011, 05:23 PM
i got x-drive on my '09 coupe and i think it was completely worth it....my house is on a very steep hill and hardly ever gets cleared so there is always ice or snow on it during winter....i've seen plenty of cars either get stuck or try and get up the hill but its too icy and they just sit their spinning the tires....snow tires + RWD may well be very good...however snow tires + x-drive is almost unstoppable