PDA

View Full Version : My day with the PNW Porsche club

craigrow
02-13-2011, 04:51 PM
I was invited by some friends to bring my car out to the Porsche club's skills day. I had a lot of fun. A couple of things were surprising. One, stopping distance was a lot more than anyone, including myself, expected. Perhaps it's the Blizzak's. When I put my summer tires back on I'm going back to see the difference. Two, I could not spin the car. I'm sure one of the instructors could have accomplished the task. They all expressed surprise however that it did not spin.

Norm37
02-13-2011, 06:04 PM
I was invited by some friends to bring my car out to the Porsche club's skills day. I had a lot of fun. A couple of things were surprising. One, stopping distance was a lot more than anyone, including myself, expected. Perhaps it's the Blizzak's. When I put my summer tires back on I'm going back to see the difference. Two, I could not spin the car. I'm sure one of the instructors could have accomplished the task. They all expressed surprise however that it did not spin.

Yep it's the Blizzaks. Consumer Reports rates them dry braking (poor) wet braking (fair) hydroplaning (very good)

They are excellent for snow traction and ice braking though.

With your summer tires you should see a big improvement in dry braking.

I see your from the The Great Pacific Northwest.

I live in Vancouver Washington. For our mostly rainy weather I went with the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D. dry braking good, wet braking very good, hydroplaning very good. I give up a little on ice braking though only rated good, snow traction excellent.

Selecting winter tires is a compromise depending on the area you live in.

WARNING:

Read the reply by E21_Fan in this thread and watch the video.

Not sure if this applies to spinning the car or not? For me drag racing a BMW is a No No after I read the following thread.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513870

craigrow
02-14-2011, 10:44 AM
That guy is pretty funny. I wasn't doing any drag racing though. We were making a very tight circle on a wet track trying to determine when the car would break free and spin. This was about practicing throttle stear and understaning when the car will spin. I guess you could say mission accomplished as I don't believe the car would ever spin without ice on the road. Although Steve missed the critical moment. In this video, traction control and stability control off, I pushed it hard enough that I lost control of the car for a moment and plowed through the cones in the center of the circle. I did it in a straight line though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxHKQ0pRLwQ

As for snow tires, that was a tough choice. I liked the idea of having max snow trackion when we go into the mountains. There are, however, a lot of 50 degree rainy days when I feel pretty silly driving around town with Blizzak's on my car.

Norm37
02-14-2011, 11:02 AM
We were making a very tight circle on a wet track trying to determine when the car would break free and spin.

Looks like you really did have a lot of fun.

This reminded me of another Tire Rack video. Panic Stopping: How Much Tread Depth Do You Need?
The full test report is a good read. Kind of a long article though.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/videoDisplay.jsp?ttid=85

This really applies to us here in the Pacific North West with all the rain we get. I'll be using using a quarter from now on instead of a penny:)

craigrow
02-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Another good article. :thumbup:

I remember as a kid seeing what looked like bristles from a steel brush poking out the sides of the tires on my Dad's GMC truck. He explained those were the steel belts. In his mind, the tire was not worn out if it still held air.