PDA

View Full Version : Scuff marks--how to remove

bobct1
02-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Previous owner backed into an orange cone.

Any recommendations as to how to remove these?

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6898910-8817-8e28.jpg

dvon
02-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Do the following, this assumes you have access to a porter cable or similar tool, if you don't you'll nee to buy one or take it to a detailer. If you don't have the tools already expect to spend a couple hundred dollars.

1. Wash
2. Clay (should remove any of the orange transfer)
3. Apply polish with porter cable or similar if this does not remove all of the scratches go with something more aggressive like meguiars 105
4. apply polish again if you had to use a more aggressive product

From here you can seal/wax as normal

bobct1
02-14-2011, 04:39 PM
I've never used a clay bar before. Any tips? Go with the direction of the orange transfer? Perpendicular? In circular motions? And what would you recommend for a polish?

BIMMERUSAM5
02-14-2011, 04:45 PM
This section of the forum has all the answers you are looking for. Click on the link and see what you can find....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

dvon
02-14-2011, 04:56 PM
I've never used a clay bar before. Any tips? Go with the direction of the orange transfer? Perpendicular? In circular motions? And what would you recommend for a polish?

Polish won't work without a tool to apply it, trying by hand is going to be a waste or your time and money. It sounds like you haven't done much detailing before, honestly this is a bigger project, if you think you will do more detailing in the future read the detailing section here. If not just pay someone to do it.

As for the clay just watch some video on youtube, it's nut hard but you mainly want a back and forth motion.

bobct1
02-16-2011, 07:28 PM
DVON - I might take your advice on this one. A local body shop quoted $45 to buff it out and clean it up... but they owner said "that this is way too nice a car to leave it at that. You'll still see the parts that were scratched down to the plastic." He offered to repaint that section and blend it all the way back to the corner for $200. The whole bumper would be $500-$550. He said that blending back just to the corner... you wouldn't even be able to tell.

Anyone have any experience with this... painting just the section an blending it in? If done correctly, can the average person tell the difference? I have always been hesitant screwing with the factory paint. I had another car that had a quarter panel repainted a couple of years back... and not you can definitely see the difference in color.

Thoughts? Recommendations?