PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Fixes for Driver Error

dpritchett
02-17-2011, 07:00 AM
An article in the online WSJ today about electronics in cars compensating for driver errors mentions a BMW situation I thought was funny:

Nobody in the auto business or the auto-safety regulation business likes to blame drivers for making dangerous mistakes. But the expanding push to foolproof vehicles speaks loudly about the lack of faith in the abilities of the average driver. And given auto makers experience with drivers' lack of awareness, it may be for good reason.

For instance, a BMW owner called the company's call center to complain that his car wouldn't start, stranding him in an airport parking lot. The diagnosis, Mr. Baloga says, was delivered via the car's cellphone link after the call center worker assessed information relayed from the car: The vehicle had no gas. The owner realized he had forgotten to hit the off button on the keyless ignition, and left the vehicle running—very quietly—while he headed for the plane.

Polarlys
02-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Been there, Done that. But in my case it was only for 20 min or so. So I can relate to the poor guy that did this and then "TOOK OFF". I had only had the car for a week or so. I parked it and walked away. I did lock the doors. It was running so smoothe and quiet I never even gave it a thought until a friend called me and asked if the silver Beemer was mine. He said that I had left it running and he had seen some exhaust vapor when he pulled up. It was one of those DUH moments. I'm sure that there will be others to chuckle about. :rofl:

pilotman
02-18-2011, 07:16 AM
well, of course NHTSA, Nasa and every other agency that examined the issue found ZERO evidence of electronic faults/gremlins with Toyota's system.

Granted, they DID have a problem with sticking accelerators in certain models, and floormats in others.

But there are many, many other claims of unintended acceleration involving Toyotas that were unrelated to floormats and pedals.

These are attributable to driver error, according to EVERY independent study, but yet people insist on blaming the car.

bmw_n00b13
02-18-2011, 08:03 AM
It's all part of a coddling system to defeat the evolution of our species. :thumbup:

Seroisly though, people are relying in the safety systems on their car way too much. Just learn to drive!!

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos and lack of links.