PDA

View Full Version : Where's our supercar, dagnabit?

JL2672a
02-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Is BMW the only high end brand that doesn't manufacture a supercar? Merc's got the SLS AMG Gullwing, SLK GTR, and SLR McLaren. Audi R8. Porsche has the GT. Even Lexus has the LFA and Nissan has the GT-R.

Why is it that BMW decided not to make a showcase vehicle? Granted, it's probably a revenue-losing project, but it would do wonders for marketing and also, perhaps the technology would trickle down to the lower-end cars.

Ounce
02-18-2011, 10:26 AM
They made the engine (at least parts of it) for the McLaren F1, that counts for something right?

Hound Passer
02-18-2011, 10:30 AM
OTOH BMW makes "supercars" for the masses. I like it better that way personally.

Mk23
02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Thought they did make a supercar... no one remember the Z8?

The HACK
02-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Is BMW the only high end brand that doesn't manufacture a supercar? Merc's got the SLS AMG Gullwing, SLK GTR, and SLR McLaren. Audi R8. Porsche has the GT. Even Lexus has the LFA and Nissan has the GT-R.

Why is it that BMW decided not to make a showcase vehicle? Granted, it's probably a revenue-losing project, but it would do wonders for marketing and also, perhaps the technology would trickle down to the lower-end cars.

IF they make one, are you going to buy it? If not, why complain about it?

And did the Mercedes having the SLS, McLaren, and Audi having the R8, and Lexus having the LFA make you buy any of those brands?

If you really want to know why BMW doesn't build "supercars," just look to the 8 year flirtation with Formula 1.

bmw325
02-18-2011, 12:28 PM
IF they make one, are you going to buy it? If not, why complain about it?

And did the Mercedes having the SLS, McLaren, and Audi having the R8, and Lexus having the LFA make you buy any of those brands?

If you really want to know why BMW doesn't build "supercars," just look to the 8 year flirtation with Formula 1.

Yeah..i've always questioned the "halo" theory of marketing where if you race in formula 1 or sell a supercar it makes the rest of your brand that much more appealing. Perhaps it works if the supercar is completley amazing or with racing if you win all the time. But I've never been particularly moved by it. And apparently, when BMW did the analysis of formula 1 they concluded the same thing. Though I do think BMW did the most credible job of linking their road car technology w/ their race cars (but even that was pretty tenuous). Its hard to look at an Audi A3 or A4 and see any connection w/ the R8. Or a LExus ES350 and the LFA. IF anything, I could see these things being a motivational tool for people who work at the company and perhaps a way to reward good engineers w/ fun or interesting projects.

ww007
02-18-2011, 03:18 PM
I think there definitely is a halo effect: just look at Bugatti. Would anyone even have heard of the name if not for the Veyron?

And Acura has kind of taken a downturn reputation-wise since the NSX stopped production.

Maybe it won't make you or I buy a car from that company per se, but it definitely ups the prestige and pride factor. I'd love to see a supercar from BMW, even if I'll never get to drive it. And I also think some of the technology would eventually trickle down as well.

DeaconG
02-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Infiniti doesn't have one either-they've already said they will NOT bring back the Q series (last Q45's were made in 2006)...

captainaudio
02-18-2011, 09:05 PM
I think there definitely is a halo effect: just look at Bugatti. Would anyone even have heard of the name if not for the Veyron?

Considering the fact that the Veyron is the only model Bugatti makes I would have to agree.

On second thought I had heard of Bugatti long before the Veyron was introduced but other than the name there the lineage of the Veyron does not go back to the Buggatis of Ettore and Jean Bugatti from the 1920s and 30s.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWWrJWhxazrEeiiAlBg-haYsLCMBLC3_Wrwu_3OMT9lyDATNQ7&t=1

CA

AlexK
02-18-2011, 09:27 PM

They will do that, but in a different way:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/efficient_dynamics/phase_2/bmwvision/introduction.html
Sure it won't impress people with irrelevant numbers like "0 to 60mph in 2 nanoseconds" or some nonsense like this, but personally I think there will be much more USEFUL experience that BMW engineers will gain from building such "showcase" car and will eventually implement into FUTURE vehicles :p What useful technology can Lexus "trickle down" to regular cars from their Lexus LFA "showcase" car? A tuned mufflers which can produce champagne glass-breaking frequencies? :rolleyes:

chicagofan00
02-18-2011, 09:48 PM
And Acura has kind of taken a downturn reputation-wise since the NSX stopped production.

Acura has taken a downturn due to their butt ass ugly front end that they've put on their vehicles as of late.

As for BMW and a super car. I would rather they put more focus on their current lineup than go out and put forth effort to towards a car that just 1% of the general population will ever be able to afford to buy. While cars like the LFA are cool, there are very few people that will ever have $375,000 to throw down on a car. Granted cars like the SLS and the R8 are cheaper it's still not a vehicle that the majority of the population can afford or necessarily want to spend their money on. I love the R8 but it doesn't make me want to go out and buy any of the other Audi models, same for the SLS.

Killjoy
02-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Acura has taken a downturn due to their butt ass ugly front end that they've put on their vehicles as of late.

A more truthful truth has never been told.

They truly are ugly.

02BMW530
02-19-2011, 05:30 AM
Guys, that's what the X6M is!! Duh!

In reality, when has BMW ever made a real "supercar"? The Z8 is kind of one but mostly not and a distant second is the M1. Neither are on the level we are talking about though.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

need4speed
02-19-2011, 07:39 AM
I'd rather they spent the money on making their DI system as close to perfect at they can. It seems like every BMW is going to be DI soon, if they can't get it right they are in trouble.
+1 on the ugly Acura front end. That "fang" looking thing is awful. The local Acura dealer has taken to painting the front fang and trim to match the body color of the car. It looks 100% better, not good, just better. N4S