PDA

View Full Version : Title Questions

rkgoodman
02-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks everyone for their advice on this forum. I sold my 2007 530i in Dec to a private party. He paid with a cashier's check and then I paid off my BMW loan. I've filed the CA DMV paperwork notifying them of change of ownership. The bank mailed me the title. I've left the buyer many voicemail messages over the past 6 weeks to pick up the title but he has never called back.

What do I do with this title? Should I just keep it in case he does call back? Should I send it certified mail to the address that he gave me in Dec? Do I have any liability for the car if I still hold the title but he has the car even though I've filed the CA DMV paperwork notifying them of change of ownership?

Thanks.

west76
02-18-2011, 11:43 AM
so wait, the title you have has your name on it, or the new owner?

rkgoodman
02-18-2011, 03:10 PM
The title has my name on it. There is a place on the title for me to sign it over to the buyer but he is not around. He has the car, I have his money, I have his title, DMV and my insurance know that it is sold.

Norm37
02-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Seems like you just sold it with a bill of sale? If so take a copy of the bill of sale and the (certificate of title) to your DMV and see what they say is the best way to handle it.

I don't see how the buyer could get a permanent registration in his name without the title.

So he is driving on a temporary registration or he might not even have registered it in his name yet.

So in any case the DMV needs the certificate of title showing you released your interest in it for them to registister the car in the buyers name and issue a certificate of title to the buyer.

So again get this squared away with your DMV ASAP.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr32.htm

Campfamily
02-18-2011, 03:53 PM
I think I would just send the title to him certified mail, signature required, to the address he gave you. You've already done your due diligence by filing the appropriate paperwork with the DMV informing them of the change of ownership, so I wouldn't go to the hassle of going to the DMV and standing in line because the new owner didn't do his. Should you get a renewal notice in the mail for next year's registration, then you'll know that the DMV dropped the ball. Otherwise, I think you should be good.

Keith

west76
02-18-2011, 07:31 PM
this is the reverse of a normal situation.. you are trying to prove you DON'T own the car. normally people are trying to prove the opposite. i don't know the particulars of your state.. do you have tag shops there? if so bring your whole file to your local tag shop and they will sort it out for you. if it is like my state, the tag people have seen it all and will be able to advise you properly. you may also just try calling the dmv

02BMW530
02-18-2011, 10:23 PM
I'd call the police and say my car was stolen. A bill of sale is one thing, but the name on the title is the law of the land. See how fast he pops out of the woods then...

Or just send it certified mail.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

Norm37
02-19-2011, 12:49 PM
I'd call the police and say my car was stolen. A bill of sale is one thing, but the name on the title is the law of the land. See how fast he pops out of the woods then...

I wonder how fast it would take the police to charge rkgoodman for filling a false police report.

Or just send it certified mail.

That might work but I still think checking with the NY DMV first would be best.

Hopefully the DMV would hold the title and send the buyer a notice we have your title. You have so many days (10) to come in and register your vehilce.

02BMW530
02-19-2011, 12:56 PM
I wonder how fast it would take the police to charge rkgoodman for filling a false police report.

I obviously wasn't serious.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

///M Rakete
02-19-2011, 06:18 PM
i think i would just send the title to him certified mail, signature required, to the address he gave you. You've already done your due diligence by filing the appropriate paperwork with the dmv informing them of the change of ownership, so i wouldn't go to the hassle of going to the dmv and standing in line because the new owner didn't do his. Should you get a renewal notice in the mail for next year's registration, then you'll know that the dmv dropped the ball. Otherwise, i think you should be good.

Keith

+1,000,000