PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a polish and wax to use with a PC?

Sean
04-16-2002, 12:34 PM
What will give me the best results and durability?

Guest84
04-16-2002, 12:38 PM
Whoa! you'll get 100 different answers with that question.

My questions back to you is this:

Do you mind waxing now and then or would you rather have a product that has a long endurance?

Is your car garaged or does it sit out at night?

Do you live in a climate that has a solid 4 seasons?

Sean
04-16-2002, 01:09 PM
Do you mind waxing now and then or would you rather have a product that has a long endurance?

Long endurance

Is your car garaged or does it sit out at night?

It sits out 24/7 - 365

Do you live in a climate that has a solid 4 seasons?

Fall is longer than winter. Spring is short, because Summer climate comes early. It's 87 here today. East Tennessee.

johnlew
04-16-2002, 01:12 PM
My first experience with a PC FWIW, very satisfied so far.

Write up on PC with Griot's products (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5067)

Guest84
04-16-2002, 01:13 PM
Here's a similiar thread with similiar questions.
http://www.beemerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=746&highlight=Carnauba+vs+Polymer

As far as application with a PC, I would highly recommend using "Carnauba"-based waxes. Maybe some of the Zaino freaks can enlighten you with application process of Polymers.

Though I don't like naming names in wax brands (I firmly believe its the surface preparation and product application/removal process that makes or breaks a good wax), some I've used and have had success with are as follows (in order of preference)

P21S Carnauba wax
Griots Carnauba
Griots Best of Show wax
Zymol
Meguiars

I only use Griots polishes, Machine polish #1, #2 and if needed, #3, plus their fine hand polish for the "hard to get" places.

Guest84
04-16-2002, 01:24 PM
Incidently, polymer(like Zaino) or acrylic(Like Klasse) waxes reportedly last an avg. of 1-2 months longer than carnauba-based waxes.

Sean
04-16-2002, 02:32 PM
I've been using One Grand Omega Glaze and Blitz wa by hand. Just over a week ago I used 3M Hand Glaze and Blitz wax. Blitz wax will last about 4-5 months.

Guest84
04-16-2002, 03:36 PM
That's about what Griots lasts. P21S gives an amazing wet look shine, but I found it only lasts about 3 months. I've heard nothing but good feedback at Autopia in regards to Blitz.

johnlew
04-16-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
That's about what Griots lasts. P21S gives an amazing wet look shine, but I found it only lasts about 3 months. I've heard nothing but good feedback at Autopia in regards to Blitz.

Having done my car many, many times with Blitz, I can tell you that it is very easy and quick to use. However, the depth of shine and gloss from Griot's Best of Show with the PC is in my opinion superior to Blitz. In all fairness, however, I hadn't clayed and polished before Blitz but did use Mequiars Show Car Glaze 7 before a Blitz job once. I was always satisfied with Blitz until I did the PC Griot's thing. Not that I'd be dissatisfied now, I just think the Blitz is not as rich a shine. However, the PC Griot's job took 6 hours, wash included and I can knock of a Blitz wax in 45 min. on a clean car.

hillbilly bimme
04-17-2002, 05:29 AM
It was still 80 degrees at 9:30. Looks like summer is here. I have used Imperial hand glaze and both Blitz and P21S. Both are great products, Blitz lasts a little longer, but P21S shines a little better. Got to clean the front of your car often this time of year those East Tennessee bugs will eat the paint off if you don't.

Guest84
04-17-2002, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by hillbilly bimme
Got to clean the front of your car often this time of year those East Tennessee bugs will eat the paint off if you don't.

Folks here in the Pacific Northwest don't know how good they got it...coming from the Midwest (Minn) where a helmut law wouldn't have to be enforced due to the fact that you'd be blinded by bugs anytime the weather gets above 45 deg. if you didn't wear a helmut!...well, I have relatives that come to visit, after a few days, they get a sense that 'something is missing out here, what is it?'..."Bugs?" I ask..."Yes! thats it! where are the bugs!?"

Its very nice not to have to deal with that at a scale that one does elsewhere. Sure, we have bugs, but nothing compared to the midwest or areas where alot of fresh water lakes are prevalent. I could drive my car for a week and count the bugs splattered on my hood on one hand, most are bee's or hornets though.

hillbilly bimme
04-17-2002, 06:58 AM
I can't imagine anyone not wearing a helmet here. I've had Japanese beetles hit my helmet so hard it sounded like someone throwing rocks at me. Left unchecked on your paint bug guts will absolutely ruin your paint. I wonder if anyone has any experience withe the clear bras on their Bimmer?

Sean
04-17-2002, 08:28 AM

I find Blitz to be a PITA to remove.

Sean
04-17-2002, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by hillbilly bimme
It was still 80 degrees at 9:30. Looks like summer is here. I have used Imperial hand glaze and both Blitz and P21S. Both are great products, Blitz lasts a little longer, but P21S shines a little better. Got to clean the front of your car often this time of year those East Tennessee bugs will eat the paint off if you don't.

The bugs around are can be a major PITA. They love xenons, but I usually don't go anywhere at night and if I do I just drive my 525i.

johnlew
04-17-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Sean

Why?

Guest84
04-17-2002, 08:46 AM
I thought Griots BOS wax was a PITA to remove, but it was the operator, not the product (I put it on too thick by hand the first time I tried it)

johnlew
04-17-2002, 09:22 AM
I thought Griots BOS wax was a PITA to remove, but it was the operator, not the product (I put it on too thick by hand the first time I tried it)

Well, I had it pretty thin by the removal stage and I thought it was more difficult to remove than Blitz. I leave the Blitz on for at least 15 min. and then basically dust off, the white residue is the main issue. With BOS it says to remove promptly, so it's still a bit wet. I had to use and turn a couple of cloths to remove and then use a clean cotton cloth to buff. But BOS leaves no chalk residue.

Intermezzo
04-17-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Sean

There aren't too many waxes easier to use than Blitz. Only the easiest of waxes apply and buff easier than Blitz. A few that come to mind are Pinnacle Souveran and Paste Glaze. Also, I hear P21S is just as easy as the Pinnacle waxes.