PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Infiniti G35 vs. 2008 BMW 328i (both sedans)

sistom
02-20-2011, 11:43 AM
So I'm selling my 2003 G35 sedan. It's time to upgrade and I'm having a hard time deciding on what to get...

There's the 2008 Infiniti g35 with the navigation, heated seats, fogs, and 306-hp engine.

I love my car now, it's got speed and agility that I can't get enough of. I've driven the 2008 G35 too and it handles and drives even better. I like the new styling of the hood and body much better than the 2003 too.

Then there the 2008 BMW 328i with a very limited amount of options. It has auto-rain sensing wipers, 6-speed auto transmission, and a whopping 230hp. I like the BMW because the same year for the same price as the G35 and I can get one that is BMW Certified pre-owned for 6-years 100,000 miles. The Infiniti warranty on the 2008's is nearing it's end date.

So I know I'm asking this on an BMW message board so I'm asking for biased responses but I'm hoping some of the car fanatics here can give me some pointers.

I'm looking to spend around $25,000.

Here's how the two cars compare:

http://vvcap.net/db/IibeBQpfhppgV-R_DK1S.png

chicagofan00
02-20-2011, 12:07 PM
To be honest is seems as though you have already made up your mind in that you would prefer the G35 over the 328. It appears as though the only reason you are considering the 328 is due to the longer warranty period, which based on that alone would be a poor decision to choose a car. Go out and test drive the 328 and see if you like it or not. You may discover just exactly why BMW is called the Ultimate Driving Machine. ;)

sistom
02-20-2011, 01:09 PM
To be honest is seems as though you have already made up your mind in that you would prefer the G35 over the 328. It appears as though the only reason you are considering the 328 is due to the longer warranty period, which based on that alone would be a poor decision to choose a car. Go out and test drive the 328 and see if you like it or not. You may discover just exactly why BMW is called the Ultimate Driving Machine. ;)

Well to be honest I posted this same thing in my Inifiniti forum. I didn't really feel like typing the whole thing over again so I just copy and pasted. So yea, it's a little slanted towards the G35 because that's the crowd I was initially talking to...

But actually, I took two 328i's out for a test drive yesterday and loved the drive. Just like you said, they are the ultimate driving machine.

I'm just caught up on if that is enough to make up for the no navi, heated seats, and 76 less hp..

Thanks for the response

need4speed
02-20-2011, 01:20 PM
As much as I love BMW, if it were me, I'd go with the G37. More options and a lot more muscle. N4S

chicagofan00
02-20-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm just caught up on if that is enough to make up for the no navi, heated seats, and 76 less hp..

Only you can truly make that decision as you are the one that will have to drive the car every day.

I don't think the navigation would be all that big of a deal since you can pick up a TomTom or Garmin fairly cheap or if you have an iPhone or Android device you can use the nav on those as well.

I do enjoy the heated seats to help take the chill out early in the morning during the winter months.

Don't just consider HP as a factor for the car. Don't forget to take into account the weight, the torque, etc. Did the two 328s that you drove provide sufficient enough get up and go for you to be happy with day in and day out?

captainaudio
02-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Infinitis are Rebadged Toyotas.

CA

TRS550
02-20-2011, 03:42 PM
No. They're rebadged Nissans.

You don't say if the 328 has the sport suspension or not. If it does, it will have a leg up on the G in terms of handling and ride. Otherwise the G trounces a 328 in every way.

With no sport pkg on the 328, the G handles better, rides better, has gobs more HP and torque.

A BMW without an MT and a sport suspension is an average car IMHO.

Infinities may be a rebadged Nissan, but they are very capable rides.

beewang
02-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Infinitis are Rebadged Toyotas.

CA

That s funny....because nissan would be pissed to know that, as they are the owner of the infinity brand.....

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G on the Now Network from Sprint using BimmerApp

captainaudio
02-20-2011, 04:05 PM
No. They're rebadged Nissans.

You don't say if the 328 has the sport suspension or not. If it does, it will have a leg up on the G in terms of handling and ride. Otherwise the G trounces a 328 in every way.

With no sport pkg on the 328, the G handles better, rides better, has gobs more HP and torque.

A BMW without an MT and a sport suspension is an average car IMHO.

Infinities may be a rebadged Nissan, but they are very capable rides.

A BMW 3 Series with sport suspension and RFTs is for all practial purposes undrivable on New York City steets,

CA

Campfamily
02-20-2011, 05:03 PM
As a previous Nissan Maxima SE owner, I was all set to get a Infiniti G37 as a replacement for the Max, figuring to pay around $37K or so for a Sport model with manual trans. Then, a neighbor let me drive his 08 535. I really liked it, and when I realized I could buy a used 550 for just a bit more than the new G37, I started re-thinking my original decision. I agonized for months; what finally sold me on the BMW was that the Infiniti just drove like a car. It was fast, comfortable, reliable, but it had no soul. The BMW puts a huge grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel; it is like a living thing, not just an appliance to get me to work every day. I recently had a G37 as a rental car. I couldn't wait to get back into my BMW.

Of course, I really wish the BMW engineers would spend some time with the Navigation/Audio/HVAC system in the Infiniti; so much better than the BMW.

Keith

AlexK
02-20-2011, 06:10 PM
So I'm selling my 2003 G35 sedan. It's time to upgrade and I'm having a hard time deciding on what to get...

There's the 2008 Infiniti g35 with the navigation, heated seats, fogs, and 306-hp engine.

I love my car now, it's got speed and agility that I can't get enough of. I've driven the 2008 G35 too and it handles and drives even better. I like the new styling of the hood and body much better than the 2003 too.

Then there the 2008 BMW 328i with a very limited amount of options. It has auto-rain sensing wipers, 6-speed auto transmission, and a whopping 230hp. I like the BMW because the same year for the same price as the G35 and I can get one that is BMW Certified pre-owned for 6-years 100,000 miles. The Infiniti warranty on the 2008's is nearing it's end date.

So I know I'm asking this on an BMW message board so I'm asking for biased responses but I'm hoping some of the car fanatics here can give me some pointers.

I'm looking to spend around $25,000.

Here's how the two cars compare:

http://vvcap.net/db/IibeBQpfhppgV-R_DK1S.png

Personally I would go with G35 : popcorn: but it's YOU who will be driving it, soo... test-drive both and pick whatever feels best to YOU.

DeaconG
02-20-2011, 09:37 PM
If you're willing to drop back a year or so, would you consider a 2007 M35/45? I had a 2006 M45 with the Premium package and it was everything I had hoped for. YMMV.

ProMed12
02-21-2011, 04:15 AM
Why aren't you looking at the 335 or at other 328's with nav and heated seats?

EdCT
02-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Well to be honest I posted this same thing in my Inifiniti forum. I didn't really feel like typing the whole thing over again so I just copy and pasted. So yea, it's a little slanted towards the G35 because that's the crowd I was initially talking to...

But actually, I took two 328i's out for a test drive yesterday and loved the drive. Just like you said, they are the ultimate driving machine.

Thanks for the response

The Infiniti will give you a better long-term trouble-free ownership. However, it's really your choice - you've driven the two, so pick the one you want to drive day in and day out for the next several years.

BTW, since there is no G37 sold as a Nissan, it isn't a rebadged Nissan; Infiniti is a separate division owned by Nissan (G37's use a rear drive platform).

EdCT
02-21-2011, 08:53 AM
If you're willing to drop back a year or so, would you consider a 2007 M35/45? I had a 2006 M45 with the Premium package and it was everything I had hoped for. YMMV.

We have an 07 M35x, which we love, but it's quite different from the new g37 I had as a loaner a while back - apples vs oranges really, the M is much more of a luxury-esque ride, is large and burns a lot more fuel :)

The M35 is a superb car at speed though - long trips are swallowed up without fatigue.

kck7
02-21-2011, 01:55 PM
OP, I also have an 03 G35 and am in a similar position, but my decision timeframe is a bit farther out as I just bought a new X5 diesel. However buying that (to replace my ML320) made me start lusting after that BMW feel.

I really like my G. When I bought it (new) it made me grin from ear to ear. Mind you I had only driven one BMW before, an underpowered 525 from 1998 or so. But I do recall that car as having superb handling and feel, if not a lot of power.

The G was fast for its day but my DIESEL now outruns it. I too have considered a recent G vs recent 3. I have yet to drive a 3 though and may get a chance to do so this week, as a loaner car.

Unlike you I prefer the styling of the original G to the modern one. I like nearly every style of car BMW produces, with the possible exception of the X6. I can't stop admiring my X5 (but I've only had it 2 months).

When the time comes I strongly suspect I'll go BMW unless my service experience goes sour for any reason. Bimmers are more expensive but for a reason - they communicate with the driver in a way that's hard to describe. For years now Infiniti has taken aim at BMW without grabbing the brass ring, and with their recent M has shifted its focus to Jaguar, almost in a way throwing in the towel and picking a slightly lesser opponent.

I like Nissan very much and of the Japanese brands Infiniti is clearly my favorite. But as I get older and the realization sets in that there aren't going to be an infinite number of cars left for me to own, I've started to place less importance on perfect reliability (of course it's nice to have but it seems to elude the Germans for whatever reason) and more on my ride being as much as it can be at the moment.

I'd be interested in knowing which way you go. Keep us posted.

1985mb
02-21-2011, 05:05 PM

The Infiniti warranty is 4yr/60K and can be extended to 6 or 7 yrs and 100K at a relatively reasonable price (less than BMW extended warranty pricing).

gtxragtop
02-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Car & Driver 2007 compare.... In the end, the BMW puts a grin on your face every day you drive it as stated by another poster. I'm 58, owned and driven lots of cars and my 530 is the best car I've ever driven. It has soul and puts a smile on your face.

Besides, these days what does 76HP really buy you except perhaps more tickets. If you want an acceleration rush, a 1000CC+ bike will do that quite nicely.

I drove a 2011 Maxima SE with the 3.5 V6 this weekend. After 1/2 hour it was boring, no connection. I thought... Nice car, but that new car thrill would wear off quickly. I remarked to my son who owns a 99 M3... I'm going to be bummed when I can no longer afford to buy a Bimmer. :cry:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/07q2/2007_infiniti_g35_sport_vs._2007_bmw_328i-comparison_tests

chemguy
02-21-2011, 06:24 PM
The G35/G37 sedans are great machines, just wish they had folding seats

1985mb
02-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Car & Driver 2007 compare.... In the end, the BMW puts a grin on your face every day you drive it as stated by another poster.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/07q2/2007_infiniti_g35_sport_vs._2007_bmw_328i-comparison_tests

BMWs often win these MT vs MT comparisons. Out in the real world, where most people buy and drive AT (even 95% of US BMW buyers), it could be a different story. Quite a few people here have said they were unhappy with the AT in the 328i. It's up to the OP to test drive them and decide what s/he likes.

As for the journalists, here's what some others are saying about BMW and the competition

Yes, a 3-series is dynamically superior and has higher handling limits, but that matters only if you actually plan to take your car to track days. Audi gives customers a much better street car at a great price with a better interior, so it makes more sense for most shoppers

David Zenlea and Phil Floraday took the words out of my mouth. We tended to dismiss the A4 as too expensive and "not a 3-series" when it debuted two or three years ago, but when I got in our test car, my immediate thought was that, for most people, this is the absolute perfect combination of Germanic driving, style, luxury, features, and prestige. Hey, if you want a BMW 3-series, have at it; I love them, too. But don't assume that a 3-series is superior to the A4 for all people, because it's not. The A4 is far better looking inside and out.

DeaconG
02-21-2011, 08:40 PM
We have an 07 M35x, which we love, but it's quite different from the new g37 I had as a loaner a while back - apples vs oranges really, the M is much more of a luxury-esque ride, is large and burns a lot more fuel :)

The M35 is a superb car at speed though - long trips are swallowed up without fatigue.

I drove a G35/G37 as a loaner more than once-I was never so happy to get my M45 back...I felt restricted, not to mention all the extra features that made it a sweet ride ("where's my backup camera? Where's my adaptive cruise? GAHHH!")

You are correct about the long trips being effortless...and the gas mileage too!:rofl:

Carraway
03-06-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm pretty late on this, but I have test driven and did a fair bit of research into both. First of all, both cars are probably much different depending on if they have manual or automatic transmissions. I drove manuals, which is rarer in the G35/37 sedans. Nissan/Infiniti seems to be giving up on manuals entirely, but they are hardly alone in that. I've also owned two Nissans, and no other cars I've owned were such a unique blend of brilliance and inanity.

In short, The G35 I drove was solid, potent, fairly fun, and seemed well built. However, I was troubled by the lack of steering feedback and felt a little more isolated than I like. As for the shifter, five gates had the precision of a bolt action rifle, but I had trouble finding sixth gear. Shifting wasn't light, but there was a direct, precise feel to it that made driving it feel manly. I was concerned that the shifter vibrated quite a bit, however. I also really liked that the car had both a spare tire and an oil dipstick. So, maybe I'm a luddite.

The 328i just handled beautifully, shifting was precise, and the entire experience was an epiphany. The costs of long term maintenance, RFTs, lack of a spare and some other things concern me, however.

Essentially, I see the G35/37 as a kind of luxury muscle car, while the 328i is a true sports sedan. If I was offered the keys to either for a day on an open road or a track, I'd almost certainly go for the BMW, but when considering living with and maintaining one long term, I might choose the Infiniti.

Finally, to throw in some more confusion, I think both the previous generation Subaru Legacy GT (2005-2009 or so) and Acura TSX (until 2008/9) are also worth trying out when shopping for sporty sedans.

sistom
04-28-2011, 07:13 PM
ended up buying a 2008 135i coupe. :) Thanks for the help fellas