PDA

View Full Version : X1 full of rattles and noises

romanrevueltas
02-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Hello, guys

I'm new in this forum. I live in Mexico, in Aguascalientes
Now, this X1 is my third Bimmer. Thing is, I have the impression it has being built down to a price. It's full of RATTLES and SQUEAKS. Drives well, of course, but quality is not what it should be. Anybody having the same problem?

sunstorm
02-20-2011, 07:34 PM
what kind of noise? some say the rear diff will cause the noise, some say the front windows cause the noise. but for me, no worry, turn the music a bit louder will kill those noise..

China, X1 18i

romanrevueltas
02-21-2011, 04:43 PM
what kind of noise? some say the rear diff will cause the noise, some say the front windows cause the noise. but for me, no worry, turn the music a bit louder will kill those noise..

China, X1 18i

Well, rattles in the front doors, cockpit and back. Not from the rear diff, though. Annoying. Didn't happen in my other Bimmers (328i & 336ci). Music is indeed a solution. But, what if I like a silent environment?

sunstorm
02-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Well, rattles in the front doors, cockpit and back. Not from the rear diff, though. Annoying. Didn't happen in my other Bimmers (328i & 336ci). Music is indeed a solution. But, what if I like a silent environment?

well, German cars never silent, try BMW 7er or MERC S, or buy a Lexus.

AzNMpower32
02-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Does BMW in Mexico offer a warranty? Clearly if you can duplicate these noises and rattles, it should be covered at little or no charge.

It is true that the X1 is built to keep costs and prices down. I am not familiar with what equipment comes on Mexican-market cars, but the basic trim and equipment in Europe is borderline "economy car".

I do find it interesting that BMW treats Mexico as part of the "International" market as opposed to "North American", evidenced by the 1er hatchback and X1 offerings.

romanrevueltas
02-26-2011, 11:14 AM
well, German cars never silent, try BMW 7er or MERC S, or buy a Lexus.

I'm not saying the car is noisy. At cruising speed the engine is almost silent and road noise is reduced. I'm talking about rattles from the doors and a general feeling that the cabin is not too solid. 7 series and Merc S are another thing altogether. I guess that if you buy a Silver Shadow the problem doesn't exist at all. This is not the point. I'm just speaking about a particular problem with a particular car, that's all.

romanrevueltas
02-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Does BMW in Mexico offer a warranty? Clearly if you can duplicate these noises and rattles, it should be covered at little or no charge.

It is true that the X1 is built to keep costs and prices down. I am not familiar with what equipment comes on Mexican-market cars, but the basic trim and equipment in Europe is borderline "economy car".

I do find it interesting that BMW treats Mexico as part of the "International" market as opposed to "North American", evidenced by the 1er hatchback and X1 offerings.

I took the car to the dealer. They seemed to do nothing. But they're nice and just told me I should bring it back again. The car comes straight from Germany and it's got navigation, leather seats, a six-cilinder engine (2.5 litter) and plenty of equipment. I guess that you have to buy the other series (3 or 5) to get the usual quality. I had no complaints with my former 3 series

SilverX3
03-03-2011, 08:40 PM
get rid of RFT and noise will disappear

David1
04-18-2011, 05:51 AM
Every BMW I have had in the past 4 years rattles, creaks, and squeeks.

LX-biker
05-16-2012, 05:31 PM
new plastics, rubber have to settle. it took about 2 years to most squeaks disappear in my XI. Past 6+ years it's almost silent except normal engine, tires road noise, A/C when on full power and so on.

rajeshchand
07-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Wel, the X1 that I bought 6 months back and have done 5k miles do not make any noise and they run on factory fitted RFTs

X1blue
07-23-2012, 01:26 AM
which model do you have?

We have a brand new Sdrive 18d and no rattles though I am with you on the poor quality parts. the doors close with a cheap sounding clunk, the roof is not fixed tightly and can be pushed in around where the reading lights are fitted.

The car is not very stable above 90km on the road, very hard ride and bounces of the surface with minor bumps. I expect that all the movement will result in rattles a few years down the road..

Evlengr
07-23-2012, 02:55 AM
which model do you have?

We have a brand new Sdrive 18d and no rattles though I am with you on the poor quality parts. the doors close with a cheap sounding clunk, the roof is not fixed tightly and can be pushed in around where the reading lights are fitted.

The car is not very stable above 90km on the road, very hard ride and bounces of the surface with minor bumps. I expect that all the movement will result in rattles a few years down the road..

That's probably the RFT's. one of the major reasons I dropped BMW from my list. Others say replace the tires. RFT's are like driving on hockey pucks. My wife has them on her MCS.

You replace the tires and the first problem you have the dealer will blame on swapping tires, stating that the BMW is matched to them.

CanadianDriver
07-23-2012, 06:42 AM
according to tire reviews i've read, the 3rd generation RFTs ride better than the previous 2. if the LCI X1s comes fitted with these, maybe there's still hope

Evlengr
07-23-2012, 07:08 PM
according to tire reviews i've read, the 3rd generation RFTs ride better than the previous 2. if the LCI X1s comes fitted with these, maybe there's still hope

I have ridden (rode?) in the 3'er and X3 with the new RFT's and still can feel the difference between them and conventional tires.

I dont think they have really changed the tires much, but try to compensate with different suspensions.

AzNMpower32
07-23-2012, 07:33 PM
People in the US who buy the X1 expecting it to ride well are going to be disappointed. It'll be reminscent of the first-gen X3. When the X1 came out in 2009, a lot of Europeans disliked the firm ride and even German reviewers said it rode pretty firm.

Honestly I keep saying this, but a VW Tiguan is a better overall car than the X1.

X1blue
07-24-2012, 12:02 AM
That's probably the RFT's. one of the major reasons I dropped BMW from my list. Others say replace the tires. RFT's are like driving on hockey pucks. My wife has them on her MCS.

You replace the tires and the first problem you have the dealer will blame on swapping tires, stating that the BMW is matched to them.

Our X1 sdrive was delivered with Michelin 255/50 R17 94H tires, these are not "Zero Pressure" or run-flat. This option must be purchased separately in Spain at least.

X1blue
07-24-2012, 12:06 AM
People in the US who buy the X1 expecting it to ride well are going to be disappointed. It'll be reminscent of the first-gen X3. When the X1 came out in 2009, a lot of Europeans disliked the firm ride and even German reviewers said it rode pretty firm.

Honestly I keep saying this, but a VW Tiguan is a better overall car than the X1.

+1. The ride is truly horrible, it makes us feel car sick. After 3hrs on the road this weekend my wife and I felt like we had been on a boat. Kids also scream in the back seats!! They normally love car rides but the vibration, rocking and yawing is something that none of us like.

Haven't tried a Tiguan but the ride is not as good as VW golf, Id even say the Polo gives a smoother ride. Audi A1/ A3/ Q3 /Q5 all better, as is the Volvo XC60.

Evlengr
07-24-2012, 03:03 AM
Bummer,

Never fun finding out the car you thought would behave in one way acts in another. Sorry hope they can figure out something for you.

I almost wrote off BMW permanently when I had non stop problems with my first X3 (13 visits to the shop just on the transmission alone in one year). BMWNA finally gave in and got me an MT since the AT transmission could not be fixed.

Different tires may soften up the bumps, but not handling.

Good Luck

X1blue
07-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Yes, we love the aesthetics, it really is nice inside, its just a dog on the road...

I've never been car sick driving before but the level of vibration in the X1 if the road is a little imperfect is incredible. ANd the pressue that all those bumps puts on the spine is incredible- my wife is getting headaches on the longer journeys (anything more that 1hr..)

We had an initial revision yesterday and have date next week to take the car in. They checked the wheels and the BMW guy said the tire pressure is really critical on this car. It seems as though they know there is a stability problem.

I think the vibrating steering wheel is down to a dislodged support which was passing vibration from the AC to the steering column. It wasn't there at the start but I guess all the rocking and rolling on the road makes the parts move..!!

I think the problem is the suspension, it is extremely hard and this make the car dissipate energy by swaying, rolling. The crazy thing is that BMW told me there is no system to stabilize this SUV, its just got four independent springs (probably from a very hard bed)

We have Michelin Eco tires which are quite soft and help to reduce fuel consumption.