PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps

magnumforc
02-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Does anyone realize that if you have multiple BMW's with the ability to send Google Maps to your car, that sending the map to one car will send it to all? We have two 535iGT's (2010 and 2011) and neither BMW Assist nor BMW Customer Assistance has been able to resolve that problem. We have assigned different e-mails to each vehicle and same thing. If we change e-mails , the e-mail assigned last becomes dominant and sends to all cars. We removed secondary drivers on each vehicle (the primary driver is different on each) and that didn't work.

The deal is that if you had 5 BMW's in a family, everyone would get the same directions no matter who sent them as one e-mail is default. Or, if you assign another e-mail to your car, it gets nothing as the other e-mail is the only one that works. This applies across all model lines and BMW corporate is looking into it as we are not the first with the issue. Just takes multiple vehicles to recognize something is wrong is BMWville!

csmooth79
02-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Well hope you arent sending yourself directions to somewhere the wife doesnt know/doesnt approve ?????

But your right they need to fix it.

magnumforc
02-24-2011, 03:18 PM
LOL...no, but I don't need directions for hair, nails and the spa either. Imagine having your messages filled with your kids list of places to meet their friends. Hmm...would really set them back on their butts if they didn't know YOU knew their every move. Like a silent tracker. Wonder how long it would take for that to make the rounds!

rdlm
02-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Resurrecting an old thread...

I too hit this (I have an 2011 535i and my wife has a 2012 X5), and found it very annoying. No, I'm not trying to hide anything. But it is extremely rare we need the same address sent to both of our cars. Well, it took 3 months of off-and-on calling, having them try something that didn't work, and me calling back, but they finally separated our cars!

I called BMW Assist, and was told that this was the way it worked, and nothing could be done. That made no sense to me (I'm a computer geek), so I pushed: What was "coupling" us? Address? Name? Phone number? Something else? I was willing to tweak the info they had on us to make us "unique" if need be (eg: use cell unique cell numbers, or add an unnecessary letter after our house number in the address). Finally, the support person responded saying something like: "You know, I've always thought this was stupid, but just accepted it. Let me see if I can find someone who can answer this question once and for all." And they did.

It's a bit hard to tell exactly what change they did that fixed it (they did try lots of things), but the two key ones appear to be:
a) Creating separate "contracts" for the two cars. I got conflicting information from their support as to whether BMW Corporate had to do this or BMW Assist did it, but in the end, it got done.
b) Remove each other as alternate drivers on each car. This was the last and final change that made it all work. Well, actually, this didn't solve it until I called back in yet again and they "touched" my X5 account to get the change to take. Who knows... maybe it was the only change really required? As I understand it, the only down-side is that if we now want to access/change the account, I have to call in for my car, and she has to call in for her own. All emergency services, including door unlock, remain available to both of us. I don't have the concierge package, so I don't know if it impacts shared access to that.

Note: from the very beginning, we had separate email addresses associated with each car. But until they finally fixed it, sending a nav address to either email address resulted in the destination going to both cars.