PDA

View Full Version : 2007 X3 vs 2008 328 xi Sedan

funtastic
02-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Hi,

I am a confused soul in the Midwest, USA (Minneapolis-St.Paul). It snows quite a bit and is a very cold place. I am confused which one I should go for? A 2007 X3 or a 2008 328xi sedan. I test drove both and like both. It appeared as if the 2007 X3 was much more stable in general and I enjoyed the high seat view on the roads whereas the 328xi had superior traction control, feel and braking which I completely enjoyed.

This is going to be my first ever car in such a cold place and I am not used to driving in such conditions. Both are nearly the same price (around 27k). So please help me decide which one to go for.

Andrew*Debbie
02-27-2011, 12:26 AM
We owned a 2007 X3 (http://garage.bimmerfest.com/user.php?action=viewusercar&UcId=4591)and I've driven a 2008 328xi.

With a used BMW a large part it depends on the condition of the individual cars. What is the repair history? What is the maintenance history? If the seller won't disclose history, walk away. If either of the cars you are looking at was a buyback, walk away.

Is either car a CPO? Does either car have extended maintenance? How much warranty is left? How much is left on the maintenance? Service and repairs are expensive so extra time on the factory programs is worth money.l That alone makes the '08 more attractive.

If the X3 has an automatic transmission look at the repair history carefully for problems with hesitation, the traction control and transmission software. Some (but not all) of the Automatic Transmission '07s had serious problems. From anecdotal reports on the e83 forum the problems were related to transmission software and sometimes the steering position sensor. The only other thing I'd look at is the sunroof. The huge sunroof is a known trouble spot. BMW redesigned the sunroof cassette for 2007 and it is better but not trouble free.

We never owned an e9x 3 series. The HPFP problem is 335 only. A 328iX won't have that problem. I'd recomend looking in the e90 series forum for any other known issues.

Unless you need the X3's ground clearance, I recommend the 328xi. It is a newer design and a better driving car.

Andrew*Debbie
02-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Do either of the cars have the cold weather package?

Seat Heaters? Rear seat heaters were available as an option on the '07 X3. Dunno about the 328xi.

A heated steering wheel is the one option I regret not ordering.

If you don't know, you can take the VIN to a BMW dealer and get a print out of the build sheet.

Heated mirrors and washer jets are standard.

LMC
02-27-2011, 05:17 PM
With a used BMW a large part it depends on the condition of the individual cars. What is the repair history? What is the maintenance history? If the seller won't disclose history, walk away. If either of the cars you are looking at was a buyback, walk away.

Is either car a CPO? Does either car have extended maintenance? How much warranty is left? How much is left on the maintenance? Service and repairs are expensive so extra time on the factory programs is worth money.l That alone makes the '08 more attractive.

If the X3 has an automatic transmission look at the repair history carefully for problems with hesitation, the traction control and transmission software. Some (but not all) of the Automatic Transmission '07s had serious problems. From anecdotal reports on the e83 forum the problems were related to transmission software and the sometimes the steering position sensor. The only other thing I'd look at is the sunroof. X3s have a huge sunroof and it a known trouble spot.

Unless you need the X3's ground clearance, I recommend the 328xi. It is a newer design and a better driving car.

Good comments here. The X3 is significantly roomier inside than the 328xi. The difference in driving dynamics is mostly a matter of size and weight. Which also means the X3 will use more gas.

kyfdx
02-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Do you need a wagon?

If not, get the 328... better fuel mileage, better handling...