PDA

View Full Version : Anyone purchase their GT through ED?

LondonBlue
03-01-2011, 05:46 PM
I have posted this on the F10 forum and it make more sense to post here.

Can anyone give me their average price they paid over invoice for the GT? If you did ED, what was your price over ED invoice? PM if you feel more comfortable. Thanks.

jdubbs
03-01-2011, 06:17 PM
I considered it, but in the end the savings did not seem worth the added hassle. I forget exactly what it would have amounted to, but it was something like $25 a month off my lease, which was much less than I was led to believe based on comments on the various forums. There are all these gotchas that end up negating whatever you might save... e.g., you have to start paying when (or even before?) you pick it up in Germany, all through the boat ride back to the US, not to mention the cost of flying to Europe. (They do give you a free companion ticket if you fly Lufthansa). They credit you 1 monthly payment to compensate for the boat ride, but then they jack up the interest rate above what you would pay for a US purchase. I read somewhere that only the base price is discounted, not the optional packages and equipment, but I never got confirmation on that from a dealer. There is also some confusion about whether lease depreciation/residual value is based off the US MSRP or the ED price... so be sure to get that straight in your head and with your dealer before you commit to an ED lease. My dealer also warned me that total delivery time for a (west coast) ED order can be as much as 90 days versus 45-60 for a regular custom-ordered car, due to added time to prep for the EU delivery and subsequent dropoff. Had I been planning a trip to Europe already, I would have gone for it, but I did not want to wait or deal with all the hassles. (BTW I would not be surprised if any of this information is inaccurate, as I did not research it thoroughly and trusted whatever my dealer told me without questioning it.)

CC Brown
03-01-2011, 06:38 PM
I got mine thru ED. Call Adrian Avila at BMW at South Atlanta. He is a board sponsor and he will give what he can do. I saved approx $5000 over delivery with the Costco program here on a 535i GT plus I picked it up in S.C. and took the FREE performance driving class. We also had a great time in Munich. Please look at the European Delivery section of Bimmerfest.

11gt535
03-02-2011, 05:11 AM
For me European delivery dropped the lease by ~$150/mo though I'll be out of pocket the cost of gas/hotels/food/airfare. I suspect that in the end the total cost will be pretty close to what buying the car in the US would have been. I would have been driving the car for a month already if I had done that. So as a way to save money... nope. Free vacation in your own car... priceless.

I've ordered my two previous BMW's with US delivery and waited that out, so the pain of waiting isn't entirely new to me.

magnumforc
03-02-2011, 10:22 PM
The invoice on my 2011 GT was $63065 and I paid $63986, $921 over invoice. That's $4589 under sticker which was a pretty good deal for a relatively loaded vehicle. Plus the trade on a 2010 Caddy was relatively painless. I know that usually the dealer whips you on either the trade or the new car, but this dealer did neither. I've been buying cars for over 40 years and was amazed at the minimal back and forth. Solid trade price, then a bit of haggling on the GT price. Done deal. Really nice.

*dima*
03-03-2011, 09:09 AM
My ED for a 550ix GT is coming up soon. It is an excellent idea if you already plan a European vacation. Saving on the car selling price is only the beginning. Driving your own car on the autobahn is indeed priceless, but you also save on the car rental and insurance while in Europe. I checked out the Munich car rental prices for a BMW GT for my travel dates, and it came out to about $5,500 with insurance! Plus you can also experience the performance center delivery in South Carolina.
I looked at several quotes for ED over the last months, and by far the best deal was through Josh Douglas at Elmhurst BMW in Chicago.

SFO1K
03-07-2011, 11:14 AM
I am currently having a nightmare as a result of ED.
My dealer notified the state/county DMV of my order date as my sales date, since my lease started on my order date. Now I have gone to register my vehicle and I'm told I owe taxes back to my order date plus a late fee for late registration. I expect my dealer to tell me "too bad" but now I'm supposed to ask them to "fix" the sales date in DMV's systems.

Anyone have a similar experience? Why in the world should we pay local road taxes on a car that we didn't have for 4 months?? Not to mention we paid those taxes in Germany and for all our toll tags we have affixed to the windshield. Sigh. So NOT a happy camper right now.

magnumforc
03-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Gees..I'm so glad it's not the "other" ED you were speaking of! This is an easier fix.

Depending on where you live, your dealer has direct access to the DMV thrugh the rquipment in their office (I know they do here in CA) so they can "fix" the issue with the early registration directly with the DMV. OR, you can insist on a refund from the dealer for THEIR mistake for the funds that were wrongly creduted to the DMV while the car was not even delivered to the US. That is akin to charging you for a car under production. Idiotic to say the least. Finally, you can apply directly to the DMV for a variance or a hearing and explain that you didn't physically have the car in the US an dit ws still in Germany at the factory when the dealer sold it to you. Geez, if this happened to you. it could happen to anyone who even doesn't take ED. Imagine the dealer sending in the VIN t the state as soon as he orders the car?

YOu SINGLE screw poiny MAY be that your LEASE started on your order date. Thus, the DMV may consider you actually had possession at that time. Since you didn't, holler long and loud and have the lease date change to your actual possession date. Unfortunately, that date will likely be the date you picked it up in Germany, but it will save a bit!

SFO1K
03-07-2011, 11:54 AM
YOu SINGLE screw poiny MAY be that your LEASE started on your order date. Thus, the DMV may consider you actually had possession at that time. Since you didn't, holler long and loud and have the lease date change to your actual possession date. Unfortunately, that date will likely be the date you picked it up in Germany, but it will save a bit!

This is the other part that is driving me mad (though I have tried to get over it).

Is everyone having to have their lease or purchase payments start on their order date when they do ED? My dealer insists this is standard practice and there was no room whatsoever to discuss this. Of note, the woman in the finance department who was the only person I didn't care for in the experience is no longer there. I've left word to call from the new finance person and look forward to seeing if he can straighten this mess out.

magnumforc
03-07-2011, 02:04 PM
I found more bad news, especially for Californians:

"Existing law imposes a use tax on a vehicle purchased outside of California and brought into California within 90 days of purchase. New legislation effective October 1, 2004 through July 1, 2006 requires payment of use tax on a vehicle purchased outside California and brought into California within 365 days of the purchase date. This law remains effective to this date.

AND: California residents purchasing a new vehicle at a US dealership for overseas delivery are required to pay registration and licensing fees prior to traveling to the country where the vehicle will be delivered. European countries may also impose a VAT tax of up to 19% VAT if you do not ship the vehicle to the US within the alloted time; however that VAT tax is not required to be paid by the vehicle owner and is returned to the dealership when the vehicle is exported within the required time.

So, your situation is not unusual. looks like it's probably universal in that the states want their "pound of flesh" as soon as the paperwork hits their door.

In our case, the insurance company held up our registration because they didn't receive the faxed copy of our bill of sale, so they never sent the insurance documents electronically to the State. I requested on the fax that they call when they received it but, of course, they never did. That happened with three vehicles. The State got their $800 registration fee but I didn't get plates because someone twice screwed up. And we wonder why business and the stats are in deep kimche?

SFO1K
03-07-2011, 02:29 PM
OK, update - the dealer is paying the late fee and the taxes prior to delivery, no questions asked. That was nice!

kashrahman
03-08-2011, 04:44 PM
to answer your other question, yes you start paying for the car before it arrives in your driveway. I don't remember specifically, but I'm pretty sure I made one or two payments before actual redelivery. Kash

BruceFerjulian
06-12-2011, 08:09 PM
I picked one up in April. Needed a rental car in Greece and couldn't find a decent sized rental car so I did the ED and took it to and from Greece on the ferry.

Yes, it turned out to be an expensive rental car.

Paid ( $60,210.00 ), not many options.

1. Navigation
2. Cold Weather Package
3. Camera Package
4. Neptune Blue

mason
06-13-2011, 08:35 AM
I did. My wife calls it one of the her best vacation because we got to see awesome scenics and moved on a leisure pace.