PDA

View Full Version : Free Scheduled Maintenance Program

Glock13
03-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Does anybody have a list of what is included? Every dealer seems to tell us something different...most saying they will only do free service when the computer tells you to do it. We have an '09 X3 that we bought new. It currently has about 20K miles on it. The computer told us we need service. The dealer is saying it is only the oil change that is included in this. BMWNA is telling us something about the "BMW teleservice", but I am almost positive our X3 doesn't have that.

SD Z4MR
03-04-2011, 05:48 PM
I would suggest also posting in the X3 forum if you haven't already.

TRS550
03-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Does anybody have a list of what is included? Every dealer seems to tell us something different...most saying they will only do free service when the computer tells you to do it. We have an '09 X3 that we bought new. It currently has about 20K miles on it. The computer told us we need service. The dealer is saying it is only the oil change that is included in this. BMWNA is telling us something about the "BMW teleservice", but I am almost positive our X3 doesn't have that.

If you bought an 09 model brand new, then you don't pay a dime for any maintenance the car's condition based service (CBS) says you need for 4 years from the in service date or50K miles.

Oil changes, Brake fluid changes, brakes, vehicle inspection, burned out bulbs....doesn't matter. You get it taken care of for free when the computer says its due.

Your dealer is an idiot.

Glock13
03-04-2011, 07:03 PM
If you bought an 09 model brand new, then you don't pay a dime for any maintenance the car's condition based service (CBS) says you need for 4 years from the in service date or50K miles.

Oil changes, Brake fluid changes, brakes, vehicle inspection, burned out bulbs....doesn't matter. You get it taken care of for free when the computer says its due.

Your dealer is an idiot.

Ok, so it is all based on the computer? There isn't a set plan...we do X, Y, and Z at 20,000 miles, etc? For instance, this is the first time our change oil notification came over the computer. We have already had it changed, but we had to force the dealer to do it because the computer wasn't saying it was due at the time.

cptcrunch
03-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Most of the service is done at the request of the computer. The oil changes used to be annual or XXX miles. BMWNA has since changed it so you no longer receive an annual or "low mileage" oil change, only when CBS requests it.

TRS550
03-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Ok, so it is all based on the computer? There isn't a set plan...we do X, Y, and Z at 20,000 miles, etc? For instance, this is the first time our change oil notification came over the computer. We have already had it changed, but we had to force the dealer to do it because the computer wasn't saying it was due at the time.

Correct. If the computer says it's due, it's paid for. If you want stuff done like oil changes at regular intervals (instead of the ridiculous 15K intervals the computer will tell you) then you have to pay for those.

BMW makes a big deal about "Frtee Maintenance" but the truth is, they don't do much.

AnonCA
03-05-2011, 08:21 AM
RE:"BMW makes a big deal about "Free Maintenance" but the truth is, they don't do much." They certainly do a whole lot more than MBenz, Audi, Infinity, Lexus. Ask those owners what their maintenance plans and costs consist of. I know owners of all the above and they get their head taken off every time they visit their respective service department. BMW is a known quantity while all the others are pretty much guess-work on the part of the owners and guaranteed windfall for the service departments. Is BMW perfect? No. Are the others even close to BMW? No

AnonCA
03-05-2011, 08:40 AM
In your Owner's Information/Manual etc., there should be a separate "Service and Warranty Information" booklet. It should, repeat, "should" answer your questions. If not, BMW NA has a customer service number that (hopefully) can help.

vern
03-05-2011, 08:52 AM
RE:"BMW makes a big deal about "Free Maintenance" but the truth is, they don't do much." They certainly do a whole lot more than MBenz, Audi, Infinity, Lexus. Ask those owners what their maintenance plans and costs consist of. I know owners of all the above and they get their head taken off every time they visit their respective service department. BMW is a known quantity while all the others are pretty much guess-work on the part of the owners and guaranteed windfall for the service departments. Is BMW perfect? No. Are the others even close to BMW? No
+1 MBenz $350 for oil and filter change plus vehicle check.
cheers
vern

Andrew*Debbie
03-05-2011, 01:27 PM
At 20K your '09 X3 might only be due for an oil change.

e83 X3s should have a brake fluid change every 2 years. This won't show up on the computer. The brake fluid change is included but some dealers don't know about it.

TRS550
03-05-2011, 01:31 PM

In that case you should probably buy additional "Free Maintenance" on out to 100K. Sounds like you'd be very happy with that.

Glock13
03-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! We already got one free oil change at 15K because the dealership did not know what the rules for maintenance were...we called BMWNA and they said we are supposed to get a free oil change at 15K. They did not reset the service monitor, so now it says we are due again at around 20K. Looks like a freebie! Good to know that it is nearly all based on the service monitor now!

Andrew*Debbie
03-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Looks like a freebie! Good to know that it is nearly all based on the service monitor now!

This question belongs in the e83 forum. The old X3s don't use the same condition based service system found on other current BMWs.

Your dealer did what they are supposed to do for an e83. If the car was due a low mileage oil change, they change the oil but don't do anything else.

When the computer says it is time for an oil service, they give the car a full oil service and reset the counter.

That is how our 2007 X3 worked and unless things changed for the 2009, you don't just go off the service monitor. The service monitor doesn't know about low mileage oil changes, brake fluid changes, o2 sensor changes... -- all the things that go by time only..

I think the X3 was the last BMW to use the old system...

Our MINI has the new condition based system (same computer as a 3 series) and it does know about the time based services. Ours just went in for the 2-year item.

Glock13
03-05-2011, 02:53 PM
This question belongs in the e83 forum. The old X3s don't use the same condition based service system found on other current BMWs.

Your dealer did what they are supposed to do for an e83. If the car was due a low mileage oil change, they change the oil but don't do anything else.

When the computer says it is time for an oil service, they give the car a full oil service and reset the counter.

That is how our 2007 X3 worked and unless things changed for the 2009, you don't just go off the service monitor. The service monitor doesn't know about low mileage oil changes, brake fluid changes, o2 sensor changes... -- all the things that go by time only..

I think the X3 was the last BMW to use the old system...

Our MINI has the new condition based system (same computer as a 3 series) and it does know about the time based services. Ours just went in for the 2-year item.

When you say low-mileage oil change, do you just mean one before the computer tells you? It didn't say anything in the manual about oil changes at certain mileage intervals.

335i Driver
03-05-2011, 04:36 PM
At 20K your '09 X3 might only be due for an oil change.

e83 X3s should have a brake fluid change every 2 years. This won't show up on the computer. The brake fluid change is included but some dealers don't know about it.

It most certainly will, and you get a little symbol on you dash that actually lookslike water waves, but when you look it up in the manual it's the symbol for brake fluid change due, at least on an E92. I can't imagine it being different for other BMW models.

335i Driver
03-05-2011, 04:39 PM
cheers
vern

If a dealer tried to charge me that, I sure as hell wouldn't be taking it to the dealer for service.

Andrew*Debbie
03-06-2011, 05:50 AM
It most certainly will, and you get a little symbol on you dash that actually lookslike water waves, but when you look it up in the manual it's the symbol for brake fluid change due, at least on an E92. I can't imagine it being different for other BMW models.

It is different. Even though the OPs X3 is a 2009, it uses a service indicator design that is over 10 years old. That system does not report any of the time based service items. It simply monitors fuel consumed and uses that to count down the number of miles to the next service. The e83 computers, radio and electronics are based on the e46 3 series platform. That car came out in 1999.

We owned a 2007 X3 and a 2004 325i before that. The service indicator display was identical on both cars and does not indicate brake fluid changes.

I haven't seen an '09 X3 but I doubt BMW would make a substantial change for the last few e83s off the line.

The new F25 X3s are based on the e90 and I'd expect them to use the same condition based system as your e92. So does our 2008 MINI. -- That one does call out the brake fluid changes. If you ever get a chance to sit in a current MINI you will recognize the displays.

Andrew*Debbie
03-06-2011, 05:58 AM
When you say low-mileage oil change, do you just mean one before the computer tells you? It didn't say anything in the manual about oil changes at certain mileage intervals.

It is by time, not by mileage. If the set time elapses before the counter gets to zero, the car is due for an oil change. On our 2007 X3 the low mileage changes were one a year. On our 2008 MINI it is every two years. I don't know what the time interval is for a 2009 X3.... It uses the same engine as our '07, but BMW may have changed interval. Maybe ask in the e83 forum or look again in the manual??

If you drive enough, the counter will get to zero before the time elapses. In that case you don't get the "extra" oil change.

On cars with the newer system, like our MINI, they reset the counter with the oil service, so again you don't get an extra oil change.

It also depends on how you drive. Both systems are condition based not mileage based. If you drive the car hard or in stop and go traffic, the counter will go down faster. On the X3 it is actually counting liters of fuel used not miles. There is some way (forgot how) to get the display to show the number of liters of fuel until the next service.

AnonCA
03-06-2011, 05:27 PM
RE"In that case you should probably buy additional "Free Maintenance" on out to 100K. Sounds like you'd be very happy with that." When the conversation turns to that issue, we'll have that conversation. I"m sure the OP appreciates your constructive input. Would you care to actually discuss, with any pertinent/relevant/factual information, the difference between what BMW offers its owners vs the competition? Please enlighten the class.

vern
03-07-2011, 07:41 AM
If a dealer tried to charge me that, I sure as hell wouldn't be taking it to the dealer for service.
Check it out, most dealers use that as a standard. That was "one" of the reasons that 2 friends of mine went back to or went to BMW.
cheers
vern

Andrew*Debbie
03-07-2011, 08:38 AM
cheers
vern

At that price, you'd think they were changing the oil on a RR Merlin in a Spitfire.

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=332372

Well maybe not. . .

JimD1
03-07-2011, 11:13 AM
BMW "took away" the annual oil change by a service bulletin to dealers late last year for a few months. The "new" rule was you got a free oil change only if your mileage was below 6000 miles. Then a couple months later they went back to an annual change regardless of mileage unless the computer says you are due sooner. I keep mileage below 7,500 miles a year to get a break on the insurance (I also have a SUV) so I follow this. I got my first free oil change in July before the first change. The dealer actually called me to arrange the service. I am hoping to get my second free oil change this June or July (my car arrived at the PC in June but I did not take delivery until July 21st so I think a year is July but the dealer was saying June).

Jim