PDA

View Full Version : What does the chassis code mean?

02BMW530
03-07-2011, 08:20 AM
E38, E46, E39, etc. What's it mean? I don't see a pattern among them. How does BMW decide to number it's E- and F-Series cars?

Anyone have an idea?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

Andrew*Debbie
03-07-2011, 08:25 AM
This question has been asked and answered many times. Try searching.

They count up from e1. Around e99 the design numbers rolled over to f01.

02BMW530
03-07-2011, 09:01 AM
I searched "chassis code" among others and mostly got back "I have chassis code E36..." or VIN decoding posts. I thought maybe someone knew off the top of their head.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

CDirks
03-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Believe it originally began as design or concept numbers. For example, an E46 is design number 46. The E stood for the German word for design/concept, but which exactly it was escapes me. Now that things have rolled over to the F series of chassis codes, it's changed a little. As far as I know, the F doesn't stand for anything, and was just used because it comes after E.

bmw325
03-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Believe it originally began as design or concept numbers. For example, an E46 is design number 46. The E stood for the German word for design/concept, but which exactly it was escapes me. Now that things have rolled over to the F series of chassis codes, it's changed a little. As far as I know, the F doesn't stand for anything, and was just used because it comes after E.

Yep.. They just go in order. When they got to 99 thry went using f instead. The numbers that never made it to production (like e37-e45) were concepts or internal projects. Kind of scary that they couldn't go to a 3 digit code likely due to some software limitation. E stood for eintwiklung which is german for development.

Andrew*Debbie
03-07-2011, 11:28 AM
I searched "chassis code" among others

ahh. Try searching on BMW e numbers.

MINIs all start with R. The R probably stands for Rover.

Dunno if Rolls have codes or not. They don't on realoem.