PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a 1979 320i,...what is it worth?

Wyld Bill
03-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Hey guys I'm new to the forums. There is a 320i for sale locally,...somewhat. It is a 1979 with 120,000 miles on it.
The owner says the following about it>
It was from Virgina & is pretty much rust free but does have some surface rust. It runs but runs rough because it has been sitting in a snow pile all winter & needs a tune up.
It is all origonal except an aftermarket fuel pump, heeadlights, & the drivers seat is a racing seat.
So supposodly it needs the following: Fix a tire that keeps going flat over time, fix light rust, a paint job (paint faded), a tune up (new plugs, wires, etc.), interior cleaning, & if you want it stock an origonal fuel pump & driver's seat.

So my questions>
What is this car worth right now?
What is this car worth in restored condition?
What is this car worth just fixed up & running good but not restored?
What should I check, look for when I go to look at this car?
If I could get the car for like $500. would it be feasable to get the car running good, fix light rust, detail the interior, shoot it with paint, & sell it to make a quick $1000 profit? (so in other words dump another $500 into it & sell it for $2000 to $2500)

Thanks in advance.:)

CDirks
03-09-2011, 04:14 PM
I think it's too old to make a quick profit off of. It would be better suited as a project car. Depending on if it's been sitting for a while, lots of things could be decayed and need replacing. However, if you want it to keep, it would be a good project. There aren't too many E21's around.

Wyld Bill
03-09-2011, 04:33 PM
I think it's too old to make a quick profit off of. It would be better suited as a project car. Depending on if it's been sitting for a while, lots of things could be decayed and need replacing. However, if you want it to keep, it would be a good project. There aren't too many E21's around.

I have had a lot of project vehicles in the past but I am starting to learn how money works. If your always paying out more than is comingin,..your always going to be poor. So I have a new rule. No projects or hobbies that cause money to go out & not come back to me. I don't care if I pay for something & keep it for years but when I decide to get rid of it I need to at least break even.
Acesets VS. Liabilities ;)

Wyld Bill
03-09-2011, 04:56 PM
I've been doing some research. Looks like theswe are only worth like $3000 to $4000 in absolutely MINT condition. Looks like I may let this one go. Why are these cars worth so little?? I mean it is a BMW like 30 years old!! I Suzuki Samurai in decent shape is selling for more than that these days. :dunno:

CDirks
03-09-2011, 06:24 PM
There isn't a huge market for these cars. Not a lot of collectors are looking for the rare and elusive BMW 3 series (because it isn't either of those).