PDA

View Full Version : Someone ( neighbor most likely) backed into car

DonnaBlackson
03-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Hello everyone,
Just wanted to post this question before i see the repair place at the dealer so i have a bettter idea of the costs involved.. here is what happened. I dont know for sure becuase i didnt see it with my own eyes but my neighbor i suspect backed into my car this morning. There was no damage to my passenger side rear of car and back bumper until this morning. I took groceries out of car last nite, no damage... and this morning i open the trunk and immediately saw the damage, so if it were there last nite, i would have seen it. anyway, the lady is a complete nut, bad driver. She has a BMW and has it in for service. so she has a black loaner. I called the service department of where she got the loaner ( only one dealer in area so i know where she went) and asked them to inspect the car for damage when she turns it back. She parked next to mine and as careless as she is, i believe she was not careful backing up and hit my car. Thankfully there is no dent but a scruff on rear area above bumper and paint missing from bumper on corners, but not a lot of paint. Since there is very little paint gone and no dents, do you think this can be fixed without painting entire bumper? I know its hard to say because i dont have a picture yet, but i am going tomorrow and want to be armed with some knowledge as they discuss options.

If she still has the car tonight and i see damage , do you think i can do anything by calling the police and filing a report?
Thanks everyone... i appreciate any advice, i know the readers here would understand the horrible feeling i have now.. just very upset by this.

djfitter
03-10-2011, 11:24 AM
If she still has the car tonight and i see damage , do you think i can do anything by calling the police and filing a report?
Thanks everyone... i appreciate any advice, i know the readers here would understand the horrible feeling i have now.. just very upset by this.

I would do it if the damage looks like a plausible match to your damage.

dj

Johnz3mc
03-10-2011, 11:25 AM
File a report as soon as possible.
If she's a nutbar, she'll disavow any knowledge of your damage and feign innocence. The police report will nullify her claims of innocence.
Insurance companies will look for a police report too. No report, no payment so get that report done asap.

As for the repair, a shop could blend in the small area but that might promote fading a few years from now. Older paint will fade quicker than newer paint. I'd get the whole bumper done just because I'm a particular type and I'd always be looking for the 'bad spot'.
Others may not be bothered about the spot touchup but it would drive a car nut crazy and since you're asking a question in a bmw detailing forum, I'm thinking you're a car nut too.
Get that report done asap.
-John C.

DonnaBlackson
03-10-2011, 11:27 AM
hi DJ,
thanks, i will look tonight.. but she knows how i am with my car , she may try to hide the damage somehow if there is any visible damage. I did alert the service department of the dealer where she is having her car serviced. This happened around 8 this morning.. i can bet almost anything it was her. Well i will look tonight if she still has the loaner... I am hoping it can be touched up and maybe detailed out ( scruffs)... not srue if they damaged the paint though..

DetailDan
03-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Get pictures of her car if you can.

Todd@properautocare.com
03-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Sorry to hear about this. I had somebody back into my car, taking out 3 dime sized areas of paint. I will be touching it up and fixing it, and will post the how to here (with in a week) to at least show how it can be done at home.

DonnaBlackson
03-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi Everyone,
thanks so much for your advice and input. I did not see any damage on the neighbor's car so i am thinking now it had to happen at the whole foods store. I took the car to the dealer collission center and its $ 678 to buff out the scruffs in the bumper and repaint the entire bumper. I have a $ 500 dedictible on my insurance and putting through the insurance i was told by my insurance carrier, it will not raise my premiums. So basically this is going to cost me $ 500 and its going to take 2 days to do. i bring the car in monday ( i didnt bother going all over for estimates , i just want it over and done with, i cant stand looking at it). Very frustrating but i guess these things happen and there is not a whole lot i can do about it except get it fixed and put it behind me and be done with it...
Thanks again everyone for your advice and input...

DetailDan
03-11-2011, 12:39 PM
They are buffing the bumper then repainting it? Make sure they are removing the bumper for paint, and no blending.