PDA

View Full Version : Did you order your car?

judyg951
03-10-2011, 04:36 PM
This is a first for us. We could not find the car we wanted so ordered it. Who was able to find exactly what you wanted and who ordered?

BobsM3Coupe
03-10-2011, 04:51 PM
I was real lucky when shopping as the closest dealer near me had the exact car I would have ordered going to another dealer. My dealer made a call to that dealer and a swap was done at the port. I picked up the car 10 days later.

djfitter
03-10-2011, 05:14 PM
I wanted a manual transmission so ordering was all but mandatory. :)

dj

judyg951
03-10-2011, 05:43 PM
I wanted a manual transmission so ordering was all but mandatory. :)

dj

Your car must fly with a manual!

djfitter
03-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Your car must fly with a manual!

I think so but also have nothing but a loaner 328i AT to compare it to. When I ordered the car, I did so with NO test drive at all. I knew I wanted the car and a test drive in an Auto wouldn't tell me anything about MY car. :D

dj

02BMW530
03-10-2011, 08:26 PM
When I lived overseas I ordered a Ford Focus ST. The new car market for US spec models is slim - Ford and Chryslers only (if you wish to keep a good warranty, otherwise there's Honda Toyota Audi and BMW).

I would do it everytime. Your car, exactly the way you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

JimD1
03-11-2011, 05:31 AM
I wanted a 128i convertible with manual. Nothing in the U. S. in May 2009. So I ordered it. The closest manual BMW (new) I could find in South Carolina was a 328 coupe about 100 miles away. I drove that and like it but I like the 128i better. The only 128i convertibles were about 200 miles away and were automatics. My son and I made a day of driving to these two dealerships to make the final decisions on colors and equipment and then got bids by email and placed an order. I took delivery at the Performance Center so I didn't care much where I bought it from but the closest dealer gave the lowest price and quickest delivery (they has a 128 coupe on order they could switch to my convertible).

Jim

BeemerMikeTX
03-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Ordered four of them, and bought one from inventory ('99 M3). Simple process. Dealers tend to not keep manual transmission in inventory, so ordering is required (unless you want to drive an automatic). :(

need4speed
03-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Ordered it for the manuel also. I did get to test drive a 335 coupe w/ stick. I had to look off and on for two years to get that close. I also test drove a 335 auto. The coupe was much closer to the way my car drives. N4S

Michael Schott
03-11-2011, 08:07 AM
I ordered my car. It's so much easier to get exactly the car you want by ordering. I wanted a Blue Water 328i e90 with saddle interior, MT, heated seats and the rear shades. The odds of finding a car like this in stock are slim to none.

Tom K.
03-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Unwilling to consider either a Steptronic or DCT, I've ordered the 4 new BMW's I've bought over the past 15 years. It has always been an easy process, once I realized I'd have to wait 6 weeks or so.

The BMWUSA.com site offers a useful search function for used BMWs and I was lucky enough to find a loaded, CPO E91 with MT at a nearby dealer - the one Bimmer I purchased "off the lot".

Tom

Andrew*Debbie
03-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Which one? We've ordered some, purchased from dealer stock and 'put our name' on a cars on the way to the dealer.

We will most likely order the next one too but who knows.

DSXMachina
03-11-2011, 04:16 PM
I also wanted 6MT, a few goodies, but not some others. I was driving a good car so was in no rush. I ordered in July and picked it up in September in Munich. It's exactly what I wanted. There is not a chance I'd pay this kind of money and settle for anything less.

captainaudio
03-11-2011, 04:45 PM
I ordered mine and I learned a few things. BMW dealers have a monthly allotment of a particular number of cars of each model that they can order each month. I was trying to order a 2007 335i E93 in early May of 2007 and was told by all of the dealers that I contacted in the NYC area that I would not be able to take delivery until September. I decided to see of I could get the car sooner if I ordered it from a dealer in Florida. The first dealer I called was Braman in Palm Beach since we have a home there. The Internet Sales Manager told me I could take delivery in late June. I told him how I wanted the car configured and flew down to Florida to pick up the car July 1st. I stayed in Florida with the car for a few weeks and then flew back to NYC and had the car shipped to me.

CA

judyg951
03-11-2011, 04:49 PM
I guess our timing was good then as we ordered the car a week ago and it went into production on Wednesday. My salesman thought it would be late march, but he was able to get it ordered faster than I expected.

chicagofan00
03-11-2011, 05:04 PM
I ordered mine as I wanted to make sure I the exact options that I wanted and didn't have to compromise on anything due to what the dealers had in stock.

cruise_bone
03-12-2011, 08:40 AM
I wanted a 6MT and Euro Delivery. I ordered. Obviously.

mcmcallister
03-20-2011, 08:30 PM
this may sound stupid but ive never ordered a car before....Can you negotiate the price, is it MSRP or whatever the dealer says it is?

BeemerMikeTX
03-22-2011, 08:59 AM
this may sound stupid but ive never ordered a car before....Can you negotiate the price, is it MSRP or whatever the dealer says it is?

Everything is negotiable, just like buying off the lot, although the dealer economics may differ between off the lot and order (including Euro delivery). If you don't like the dealer's offer on ordering a car, you can always walk away. Other than researching what the dealer's wholesale costs are BEFORE you go in, I think the key to negotiating a sales deal is to NEVER make an offer to the dealer/sales person about what you are willing to pay for a car (or what you think is a "fair" price to pay), but ONLY let the dealer offer to you what price they are willing to sell you a car. Only the dealer knows what price they need to get for a car to meet their economics, so only they know the lowest "fair" price they are willing to accept.

Once you are ready to actually buy a car (as opposed to preliminary window shopping), you tell the dealer what you want in the car, the dealer tells you what price they are willing to accept, and you tell them yes or no. Simple. If you a are clear, but polite, about this you should not have to go through but a couple of interations to get to the dealer's best price. Of course, you will probably have to say no to the dealer's first offer, and you may have to go to more than one dealer. Also, don't get bogged down trying to save the last $100 on price.

Kamdog
03-22-2011, 09:39 AM
I ordered it, and, since this was my retirement car, and a big deal to me, I knew I would be ordering it so I could get exactly what I wanted, and not get things I didn't want. Then, I learned about European Delivery, and that was just icing on the cake.

I had other cars, so I was in no rush.

3ismagic#
03-22-2011, 09:12 PM
I will be ordering via ED. I have been waiting for 20 years to buy my first BMW since I was 16 working at a BMW dealership in Michigan. That is where I fell in love with the E30. Now in a position to make it happen.

Looking for 328xi Deep sea blue/black&aluminum/6MT/Navigation

drrpm
03-23-2011, 06:34 AM
I got mine used. I had to compromise on the color (black) which I really didn't want, but everything else was right. It took about 2 years of keeeping my eye out to find it.