PDA

View Full Version : I love my E90 lights

FCBayernFTW
03-13-2011, 05:52 AM
...But these are just SEXY!:thumbup: THIS is what I have been asking BMW for! FULL LED treatment, xenons should be standard, and Halogens go the way of the dodo bird.

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012-bmw-650i-coupe-25.jpg
http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012-bmw-650i-coupe-29.jpg

tturedraider
03-13-2011, 06:42 AM
The new 6er is definitely a thing of beauty. A work of art.

markl53
03-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Agree, however, some 328i buyers want to keep prices lower by not opting for $900 xenons. This gives them a choice. In my area (DC/MD/VA) I see lots of 328i's with halogens.

FCBayernFTW
03-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Agree, however, some 328i buyers want to keep prices lower by not opting for $900 xenons. This gives them a choice. In my area (DC/MD/VA) I see lots of 328i's with halogens.

Well now they can not opt for $1200(?) LEDs. Xenons should become standard shortly.

Saintor
03-13-2011, 12:27 PM

And 528i and X3 Xdrive28i.

Likwid
03-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Xenons rule!

tturedraider
03-13-2011, 06:43 PM

That picture is of the front of the new 6 Series. For a starting price of $91,000 I don't think too many people are going to be concerned with keeping costs down and they get xenons and LED fogs as standard equipment, as well they should.

alpinweiss
03-13-2011, 11:28 PM
I ordered the Xenon lights on my car. I think they are great. But, I live in an area with a lot of very dark rural roads (night) with high speed limits.

If I lived in an area that was mostly urban, well lighted, and had low speed limits, I would just opt for the base halogen lights. $900 is a lot to spend for something that is not needed.

:drive:

Likwid
03-13-2011, 11:52 PM
I love the way they move with the steering wheel. I've never owned a car with active headlights before, and it still amazes me when they move in the direction I turn the wheel.

FCBayernFTW
03-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Amazing...ALL LED...sick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGLbih4QECw

3284me
03-20-2011, 06:17 AM
I ordered the Xenon lights on my car. I think they are great. But, I live in an area with a lot of very dark rural roads (night) with high speed limits.

If I lived in an area that was mostly urban, well lighted, and had low speed limits, I would just opt for the base halogen lights. $900 is a lot to spend for something that is not needed.

:drive:

I do think they are very cool, and I know they light the road better, but since I never had them, I don't miss them. The standard lights do a very good job, far better than my previous vehicle.

hpowders
03-20-2011, 06:18 AM
I like those lights!!! :thumbup:

PartyBoyWA
03-20-2011, 08:05 AM
I just ordered a 328 E90 without the xenons. If they were not active, I would have been more likely to order them. But I just don't like the idea of having to repair them down the road. I know I'm going to see some murdered out 328 rebadged a 335d with dope rims, primer patches and "crossed" xenon eyes before too long.

I'm no engineer, but I think BMW could come up with a better solid state solution to this challenege.

Caveat-I'm holding on to this car forever. If I was leasing/holding short-term, they'd be great to have with the peace of mind the warranty brings.

03-20-2011, 08:41 AM
$900 is a lot to spend for something that is not needed.

Correct! But who needs a 90K 6er when you can take the bus. :banghead:

hpowders
03-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Unfortunately, the new BMW 6, as beautiful as it is, is beyond my reach. I'm sure I'm not alone in expressing this sentiment.

hpowders
03-20-2011, 08:48 AM
I have enough anxiety parking what I have in mall lots. A BMW 6'er with those beautiful lights might as well have a sign "smash me". Almost glad it's out of my price range..... almost.

hpowders
03-20-2011, 08:50 AM
I have to say, I keep coming back to gaze at that photo and I must say, that's the most beautiful total front view I've seen on any BMW.

FCBayernFTW
03-20-2011, 09:44 AM
I have to agree with you HP.... CPO later on?

If people are fretting over a $900 option, perhaps they should reconsider the brand.

hpowders
03-20-2011, 09:56 AM
I have to agree with you HP.... CPO later on?

If people are fretting over a $900 option, perhaps they should reconsider the brand.

Well, even as a 3 year old CPO, you're looking at $50k-figure similar depreciation as a 3 year old 911.

I maintain that going CPO is the greatest way for ordinary folks like me to drive vehicles I normally only get to dream about.

I now have the BMW 6 on my possible CPO list-3 years from now. I won't forget about it. The car is absolutely smashing!!:thumbup:

Philm35
03-20-2011, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see aftermarket retrofit LED headlight assemblies for our e90's coming soon.

hpowders
03-20-2011, 02:52 PM
From your mouth to.....

-=Hot|Ice=-
03-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Hmm, they went with Reflective type lights instead of projection. Interesting. Personally, I would of like it to be projection.

Jason @ BMS
03-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Correct! But who needs a 90K 6er when you can take the bus. :banghead:

True That. :p

pointandgo
03-20-2011, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=jocamryn;5914336]...But these are just SEXY!:thumbup: THIS is what I have been asking BMW for! FULL LED treatment, xenons should be standard, and Halogens go the way of the dodo bird.

You should love your Xenons...they will last much longer than halogens...perhaps 5 years or more, and you won't have to worry about halogen replacement costs. Not to mention the improved road visibility.
This comparison of Xenon vs. Halogen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wnFFWlzz6M&feature=related

FCBayernFTW
03-22-2011, 12:22 PM
High-visibility innovation: Adaptive LED Headlights.

The new BMW 6 Series Coupe is equipped with bi-xenon headlights as standard. An accentuating trim element cuts across the top of the hallmark BMW twin round headlights to produce the intent look familiar from other BMW models. The optional Adaptive LED Headlights provide a fresh take on this established feature. The Adaptive LED Headlights for low beam and high beam contain LED light rings for the parking lights and daytime running lights, which are levelled off at the lower edge and overlapped at their top edge by an accent light ***8211; also featuring LEDs. The result is a stunning, distinctively BMW showcase for the innovative light technology below the surface. In addition, they also generate the low beam and high beam light from the two light rings. The light sources here are horizontal LED ribs positioned in the centre of the light rings. The brand's hallmark twin round headlight look is therefore ex-pressed even more strikingly not only with the daytime running lights switched on, but also when the headlights are activated in the dark.

However, the Adaptive LED Headlights are about more than just looking good; they also ensure the driver can see well. Their bright white light provides an intense and even illumination of the road ahead. From a colour perspective, the light comes much closer to natural daylight than that created by conventional halogen or xenon headlights, lending even reflective objects far greater contrast. The cornering element of the Adaptive LED Headlights is also tailored to the car's speed, steering angle and yaw rate, allowing the pivot of the headlights to adapt automatically to the line of the corner. Meanwhile, a light source positioned specially in the headlight housing generates the cornering light which, at low speeds, ensures illumination of the road surface in the direction the car is turning. LED technology is also deployed for the direction indicators, each of which consists of eight LED units arranged in a row underneath the light rings. As well as enhancing visibility in the dark, the Adaptive LED Headlights thus also significantly improve the signalling effect of the car's lights.

I think they are da shizzle, hopefully they trickle down to the F30 M3.

FCBayernFTW
03-30-2011, 02:34 AM
2012 Audi A6 Sedan Exterior Lighting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md6Yfyqa9XA)

These really set this car off!