PDA

View Full Version : Brake Dust

x5Andy
03-18-2011, 03:43 AM
I have a 2002 x5 4.4i and two of the rims have a light brown film on them. Obviously brake dust of some sort. Is there anything that can be done to shine them back up? The other 2 are fine...

02BMW530
03-18-2011, 09:15 AM
1-change pad brands
2-frequent washing
3-put wax on the wheels
4- buy painted wheels

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

Scottji
03-18-2011, 09:30 AM
I've found regular old simple green in a spray bottle to work well on brake dust. I also switched to dustless pads, which made a huge difference. And putting a coat of wax on the wheels is a good practice as well.

bmw_n00b13
03-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Simple green isn't good for wheel finish; along with most wheel cleaners, it's too corrosive. P21S makes an excellent wheel gel, which sticks nicely to the wheel instead of rolling off. A light wipe and a rinse is all that's needed for most brake dust.

Waxing wheels makes a major difference. Even just spraying with 303 makes a difference!

Alpine550
03-18-2011, 09:52 AM
A guy in my apartment turned me on to this. Put Tide clothing detergent in water and clean. It works on the worst caked brake dust like noones business. Give it a try.

Ilovemycar
03-18-2011, 02:18 PM
It's expensive, but I use Sonax. I bought the big bottle so that costs were halved. Stuff works, but you still need to agitate with brush. I use a Carrand I believe it's called for the lugnuts.

After they're dried, I spray Armor All wheel protectant. I know, you guys are freaking out, WHAT, ARMOR ALL? But I discovered this stuff thanks to this super long BF thread below. I've used Rejex as well, but the AA is not only so much easier to apply, it works better too.

Brrake Dust Cured (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452619)

Scottji
03-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Simple green isn't good for wheel finish; along with most wheel cleaners, it's too corrosive.

Hm, I suppose I should stop using simple green...

I went too long without washing/waxing wheels once, and it seemed like the dull dark dust film wouldn't come off with anything except simple green. Guess I took off a layer of wheel finish to get the dust off.

02BMW530
03-18-2011, 04:03 PM
I switched to Duralast pads ($55/front, $35/rear). They offer similar stopping power, pedal feel, and don't dust. Something to consider if you're due for new pads.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

Yorgi
03-18-2011, 07:05 PM
P21S gets my vote to remove the brownish tar-like layer that can build up over the winter due to lack of cleaning. It is PH balanced and works as well as the corrosive stuff you find at Pep Boys etc...

Once you switch to a good aftermarket pad regular soap and water will take off all traces of pad dust. Go for a pad like StopTech Street Performance, Hawk Performance Ceramic, Hawk Performance LTS Light Truck, Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic (StopTech) and you will have virtually no dust. Any dust you get washes off easily.

Norm37
03-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Bar Keepers Friend.

http://barkeepersfriend.com/car-care

Also I read a thread that said do not use wax on rims. The wax gets warm and absorbs the brake dust (can't be washed off) which is corrosive to the rims.

Sorry can't find that thread.

Just washing and rinsing the rims often is better.

vern
03-19-2011, 11:46 AM
After they're dried, I spray Armor All wheel protectant. I know, you guys are freaking out, WHAT, ARMOR ALL? But I discovered this stuff thanks to this super long BF thread below. I've used Rejex as well, but the AA is not only so much easier to apply, it works better too.

Brrake Dust Cured (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452619)
+1 on the AA I though is was BS like the rest of there products but this stuff really works. I went over 500+ miles before I washed my car and all I did to the wheels after using AA was wash them with only the pressure of the hose and they came out as clean as if you use a wheel cleaner. AA from now on. Just finished washing the X3 and sprayed the wheels with Armor All Wheel Protectant The X3 is mostly used for local trips so we will see how it holds up on those rims.
cheers
vern