PDA

View Full Version : End of the road for old school enthusiasts

Edgy36-39
03-18-2011, 04:46 AM
Been reading some things lately that spell lots of trouble ahead for owners like us. China soon to be BMW's biggest market, turbo only for the 3 series starting in 2013.

Keep your E39 forever! :thumbup: http://cparente.wordpress.com/2011/03/18/bad-times-ahead-for-bmw-enthusiasts/

qwksilver97
03-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Soon we're going to have to "introduce our brake pads into the cars controle module". Perfect example of todays world. Overcomplicate things and charge out the ass.

Edgy36-39
03-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Right. BMW does it's best to ignore American consumers now -- example, the tiny number of 1 Series M coming here. As the US market becomes a smaller and smaller percentage of their business, the situation should only get worse.

Josh P.
03-18-2011, 08:48 AM
The turbo issue was inevitable. Big displacement engines are not going to find their way into mass-market models, due to MPG/Cafe standards. Thus, if you want the power and the economy, you'll need a turbo. BMW has seen the writing on the wall and is changing their fleet accordingly.

bmw_n00b13
03-18-2011, 10:01 AM
How does Mercedes do it then, without turbos on all their cars? ( though many certainly have turbos) BMW is, for some inexplicable reason, acting like an American publicly traded company: building profits at all costs, including alienating customers and producing low quality cars. BMW isn't public though; the shareholders can't vote the board out of the company, etc. There is no goof reason for BMW to be making crappy cars, pandering to the unwashed masses with low lease rates etc. They would still be selling a lot of cars if they started focusing on building a quality automobile again. IMHO, the cost of a new BMW should bring you a car that is bulletproof and is good for 500k miles, like the Mercedes of the 80s.

DHoang
03-18-2011, 10:18 AM
China soon to be BMW's biggest market, turbo only for the 3 series starting in 2013.

China will soon be "EVERY CAR MAKER's" biggest market. But I doubt it will be as big a market for BMW as it will be for honda, toyota, nissan... an ordinary China citizen still cannot afford the least expensive bmw, the 1er, but he/she can just barely scrape enough dough to afford a Fit, yaris, etc...Very large disparity still in that country...for
those in China who can afford a BMW, they also can afford a chauffeur to drive it.

No, I think China will help greatly boost the MINI & 1 series sales, not the main stream BMW seriesn are just too expensive to get traction there. Europe and North America will continue to be BMW's biggest markets.

edjack
03-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Thirty years ago, BMW's market was pretty much the enthusiast: someone who enjoyed a well-handling, satisfying car to drive. The Yuppies changed all that when they discovered the marque. They were only interested in showing off the Roundel, and eschewed manual transmissions. BMW then began to pander to that market, which was LOTS bigger than that of the enthusiast.

Whether or not BMW will continue to design and build driver's cars remains to be seen. Certainly, the current 5-series has become a mini-7-series, and has lost it's sporting image in the car press.

BTW, I was at the dealer's parts counter yesterday, and the counter man quipped, "Keep that E39 running, it's a great car: V8 and a 6-speed."

AlexK
03-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Yes, yes, the sky is falling, time to run around with arms flailing and screaming "woe is me!" :rolleyes:

02BMW530
03-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Right. BMW does it's best to ignore American consumers now -- example, the tiny number of 1 Series M coming here. As the US market becomes a smaller and smaller percentage of their business, the situation should only get worse.

Time to start feeling like the rest of the world - looking at buying cars designed for another markets taste.

If I can't replace my E39 with another, I will not buy another BMW.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

franka
03-18-2011, 06:35 PM
BMW sales keep climbing and that is the name of the game, like it or not.

repcapale
03-18-2011, 08:07 PM
BMW sales keep climbing and that is the name of the game, like it or not.

Thats the truth. People have to stop complaining. BMW does not care about a few people who can't even afford to buy the new models. If you are not happy with the product, then don't buy it. Shortly after the loyal customers are gone, the sales will decrease. They will then build better cars and sell them for less so you are happy. Or they will just continue to make billions of dollars and grow in sales..............

franka
03-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Thats the truth. People have to stop complaining. BMW does not care about a few people who can't even afford to buy the new models. If you are not happy with the product, then don't buy it. Shortly after the loyal customers are gone, the sales will decrease. They will then build better cars and sell them for less so you are happy. Or they will just continue to make billions of dollars and grow in sales..............

Thanks for the astute points.

I've owned BMW cars only and serially since 1979. I will keep adding miles to my current 230K miles. Bought the car used with ~ 10K miles on it and a 100K warranty.

A new car showroom, BMW or others, can be a very dangerous place.

Edgy36-39
03-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the comments. Re sales numbers, I think you need to look at them in context. Yes they are up, but are they up as much as other brands? I dealt with this question in an August post on BMW quality:

But letís look closer at those sales numbers. Keep in mind 2009 was a historically bad year for auto sales. According to BMWBlog.com, BMW sales in North America were up 12% in July year to year. However, Audi sales were up 17%, Acura sales 44% and Porsche 68% (admittedly from a much smaller base). The competition has upped their game ó what does BMW represent today besides brand cachet and high cost?

franka
03-21-2011, 07:21 PM
What does that tell us? And what should be done?

darbyogill
03-21-2011, 07:24 PM
BTW, I was at the dealer's parts counter yesterday, and the counter man quipped, "Keep that E39 running, it's a great car: V8 and a 6-speed."

:confused: He's the parts guy at the dealer--of course he's gonna tell you keep the e39 running--he has a vested financial interest in that. If you buy a new car he won't see you for 4 years at a minimum.

Edgy36-39
03-21-2011, 07:46 PM
What does that tell us? And what should be done?

What that says is subjective. All I'm saying is, don't look at BMW sales without also looking at competitor numbers. Otherwise there is no context. Sales could be going up, but BMW could still be losing market share.

franka
03-21-2011, 07:48 PM
How did you come up with 4 years? A 100K warranty and 25K/yr?

franka
03-21-2011, 08:35 PM
What that says is subjective. All I'm saying is, don't look at BMW sales without also looking at competitor numbers. Otherwise there is no context. Sales could be going up, but BMW could still be losing market share.

There are many other factors at play. Sales units and sales dollars are just part of a more complex picture.

The only solid data that can be drawn from sales only is that they are going up or down.

I'm sorry I got into this at all.

Edgy36-39
03-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Got a lot of comments, here and elsewhere. Including a nice email from Mike Miller of Roundel and Bimmer Mag with his take.

So published the feedback as new post: http://cparente.wordpress.com/2011/03/22/the-future-for-bmw-enthusiasts-feedback/

BeemerMikeTX
03-22-2011, 08:42 AM
No, not end of the road. I have my 2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster, which is a perfectly fine car, and as long as BMW and the aftermarket keeps making replacement parts I should be able to drive it indefinitely. I need to finish the restoration of my rust-free 1972 Porsche 911E Coupe (with 2.7 and Weber IDS), and then I'll have my "high performance" sports car.

If BMW chooses to now build cars that I don't want to buy, well that is no loss for me . . . I'll just let them sell their world cars to the Chinese.

superbrew
03-23-2011, 08:07 AM
How did you come up with 4 years? A 100K warranty and 25K/yr?

New BMWs come with a 4yr $0 maintenance warranty.

darbyogill
03-23-2011, 09:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoPiJOubR-4