PDA

View Full Version : Confused- Satelite radio

Bill-SD
02-14-2004, 07:22 PM
I have an '03 M3 (11/02 build) with navigation. I'd really like to install satelite radio but from what it looks like from some of the messages here and other boards, this is not an option for me. Is that correct? If so, will it ever be an option. I will admit that I'm no expert on this (hence the confusion), but it sure would be nice to have this option available.

Thanks,
Bill

LDV330i
02-14-2004, 10:32 PM
I have an '03 M3 (11/02 build) with navigation. I'd really like to install satelite radio but from what it looks like from some of the messages here and other boards, this is not an option for me. Is that correct? If so, will it ever be an option. I will admit that I'm no expert on this (hence the confusion), but it sure would be nice to have this option available.

Thanks,
Bill
Here is a posting (http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=661977&postcount=1) with BMWNA's matrix for compatiblity of satellite radio with various models and options. Hope this helps. :)

Bill-SD
02-14-2004, 10:38 PM
Here is a posting (http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=661977&postcount=1) with BMWNA's matrix for compatiblity of satellite radio with various models and options. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks! That seems to confirm what I thought. If I read it correctly, I fall into that grey area where it is not available. That really sucks! Did they change the HU in 9/03?

LDV330i
02-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Thanks! That seems to confirm what I thought. If I read it correctly, I fall into that grey area where it is not available. That really sucks! Did they change the HU in 9/03? The changes include compatiblity wiith satellite radio tuner and the ability to accept an AUX input (you still have to buy the kit for that too :()

Pinecone
02-15-2004, 05:26 AM
Of course, those of us without an AUX input, and use something like a BlitzSafe to provide one.

Pinecone
02-15-2004, 05:40 AM
BTW If anyone is selling a late model E46 Radio with CD (with aux input) I am in the market.

Bill-SD
02-15-2004, 11:09 PM
BTW If anyone is selling a late model E46 Radio with CD (with aux input) I am in the market.
Is there a DIY out that details the Blitzsafe install? Is this something an audio shop could be trusted to do. I'm in the bay area if anyone has any suggestions.

Pinecone
02-16-2004, 06:07 AM
Is there a DIY out that details the Blitzsafe install? Is this something an audio shop could be trusted to do. I'm in the bay area if anyone has any suggestions.

There are a couple of Pioneer XM/BlitzSafe installs on this board.

The BlitzSafe itself is pretty easy to do, just plug it into the CD harness.

The one BIG caveat is if you use a BlitzSafe, you cannot use the factory CD changer. You have to go tot eh Alpine changer that is the same mechaniclaly as the BMW one (Alpine makes the BMW ones) but the Alpine uses M Bus, the BMW I Bus.

The good news is, a new Alpine changer is about $230, and you can sell your BMW one for about $300 - $350 on eBay.

Bill-SD
02-16-2004, 09:00 PM
There are a couple of Pioneer XM/BlitzSafe installs on this board.

The BlitzSafe itself is pretty easy to do, just plug it into the CD harness.

The one BIG caveat is if you use a BlitzSafe, you cannot use the factory CD changer. You have to go tot eh Alpine changer that is the same mechaniclaly as the BMW one (Alpine makes the BMW ones) but the Alpine uses M Bus, the BMW I Bus.

The good news is, a new Alpine changer is about $230, and you can sell your BMW one for about $300 - $350 on eBay.
Can Blitzsafe be used if I have the Nav system? They way I read it, it can't.

Pinecone
02-17-2004, 05:52 AM
I have no idea. Contact Blitzsafe.

Bill-SD
02-17-2004, 06:37 AM
I emailed them last night. We'll see what they say. Thanks for your help!