PDA

View Full Version : bumper repair

mcmcallister
03-20-2011, 06:56 PM
well i crumpled in my rear bumper, not too bad, just passenger side corner. I have heard from a local shop that they can repair without replacing the bumper but i wasnt sure if they can actually do that, or whether they just throw on a gallon of filler. Anyone ever have an experience with this type of repair.

this is a before/after photo that looks similar to my damage

http://www.berardisdetailing.com/img/bumper_1.jpg

jfs356
03-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Don't see how that can be repaired, as the plastic will probably not reshape to it's normal contours.

dboy11
03-21-2011, 10:17 AM
I've seen it done plenty of times. They drill holes in and heat up the plastic and pull it out. Then fill the holes and repaint the bumper..On the cars I've seen it look like new again

tmirr
03-21-2011, 02:44 PM
That looks pretty bad. The only way I'd let them repair it is if it was way cheaper then replacing. And, their repair better look like it was replaced. Do you know for sure there is no damage underneath??

mcmcallister
03-21-2011, 04:40 PM
i dont think there is any other damage, my front bumper is in need of a respray, so im gonna drive up to this shop and get an estimate before i head to the shop that replaced my front bumper a few years ago to get their estimate. my cousin told me this shop has a good reputation repairing BMW and other high end auto's. They advertise that they can repair most bumpers for less than replacement cost, but i wont find out till later this week

jfs356
03-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Rear bumpers are easy to find at salvage yards, as most cars collide in front. If the repair is expensive, I would try a salvage yard.

***CCCP***
03-24-2011, 06:23 AM
I had same thing on my fx 35 but it was front bumper I heated it up and pushed on the dent from the inside it popped back and it was perfect no pint damage that needed repair. Car was for sale so I didn't bother paying any1 but it turned out great