PDA

View Full Version : Need a good car vacuum

pman81
03-23-2011, 07:36 AM
I just moved to New Mexico, and the dust here is unreal. My dashboard looks like I've been parking with the windows open, and that's just what's coming in through the vents. I've got a little Scorpion vac that's been ok for getting grass and dirt out of the carpets, but I think I might need something better to get in all the nooks and crannies. Who can recommend a good car interior vacuum cleaner?

Todd@properautocare.com
03-23-2011, 08:33 AM
If you want the 'bad-boy' then you want the Metro-Vac (http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/vacnprovacl.html).

Not only does thing suck (in a good way) but it blows filtered air which makes it perfect for drying as well.

DetailDan
03-23-2011, 06:17 PM
I have the Metro. Definitely a good vacuum.

dboy11
03-24-2011, 07:29 AM
You can also get a good shop Vac with 5 or 6 HP, that comes at a bargain compared to the Metro. All of the attachments are also available. I've had a shop vac for years and its done the job for me just fine

rdorman
03-24-2011, 09:36 AM
I just use the Dyson and it has the 'animal' attachment. If you are going to get one for the garage, be sure to get a wet/dry vac so you can also use it when you shampoo the interior, clean mats etc. Before I vacuum, I take the hose from my compressor and blow out the interior as it really helps with the spots that a vac does not reach.

dpritchett
03-24-2011, 10:08 AM
If you want the 'bad-boy' then you want the Metro-Vac (http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/vacnprovacl.html).

Not only does thing suck (in a good way) but it blows filtered air which makes it perfect for drying as well.

+1. :thumbup:

Ilovemycar
03-24-2011, 01:22 PM
I have a large Dyson, and I've never used it on a car but I imagine it might be a bit unwieldy for this kind of application.

My little mini vac died recently. My large Ridgid is working just fine still and that is what I'd like to put a plug in for, because their products are backed by a lifetime warranty! Just register it.

Since I got mine when on sale at HD for $50, the filter replacements are looking expensive (at 40% of the cost of what I paid for the unit). So I thoroughly cleaned the filter instead, which was rather an unpleasant experience, and we'll see how long I can make it last via cleanings. Works great though. It's going to do double duty for woodwork stuff in the relatively near future as well.

I'd still like me a Metro Vac though. :)

Angelo@properautocare.com
03-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Metro Vac is the way to go for your vehicle.

http://www.properautocare.com/vacnprovacl.html

ladius
03-27-2011, 12:25 AM
I recently bought a Eureka Easy Clean handheld vacuum for quick clean-ups around the house and used it to clean my car today. It has a motorized brush like a large vacuum and a detachable hose with an attachment for narrow places. It worked well! For the floor mats, I "pre-treated" by shaking and batting the mats and brushing them off larger debris. The Eureka was about $40 bucks from Wal-mart.

pman81
03-27-2011, 07:01 AM
I originally didn't try to use my shop-Vac because it only had a 3' hose and the attachments weren't really that great. Yesterday at Lowe's I found the "car cleaning kit" for $30, which contained a 10' hose and a handful of useful attachments. So far so good!

The Metro Vac looks pretty nice, but I don't know if I really want to spend $180 on a vacuum I can only use on the cars. The shop-Vac seems up to the challenge, and it's just the little 2.5 HP model. We'll see I guess