PDA

View Full Version : Getting a just waxed shine on your E9x in about 15 minutes

Kilgore Trout
03-23-2011, 11:40 AM
One of the curiosities of detailing cars is that some products seem to work great on particular cars and not so well on other cars.

In any case, a product that I've had great results with on the E91 (and I make no promises for with regard to any other BMW model or any other car on the road) is Optimum Car Wax:

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html

The stuff is pretty amazing. It takes maybe 10 to 15 minutes to do the entire vehicle, gives the car a beautiful deep shine, and seems to make the car fairly impervious to dirt. We've just had a few days of heavy rain out here in LA, and I haven't washed my car in two weeks. But, the car still looks shiny and clean.

///M-ratedE90
03-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Chicks dig wagons:

http://www.powerfanatics.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/BMW%20E92%20coupe%20car%20wash%20Girl.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_f6jKw0SgB14/S5OfFx32_OI/AAAAAAAAAIU/LysxnGYasZw/S1600-R/hot+car+wash+girls+3.jpghttp://image.eurotuner.com/f/images/8180663+w200/eurp_0802_08_z+bmw_335d_diesel_engine+car_wash.jpg

mujjuman
03-23-2011, 12:10 PM
In my opinion, spray waxes are great for maintaining cars that already have a good coat of wax on it from before... meaning a car that's been waxed with a liquid or paste wax.

Don't forget to wash your car before using it!

jon335i
03-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Imho meguiars NXT2.0 is the best wax for weekly/ monthly use. Its extremly easy to apply and cures the fastest that I've seen, here's a shot from last week http://184.72.239.143/mu/aefc3021-4fcc-6e78.jpg

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App

matts335
03-23-2011, 12:59 PM
was this a test to see if it would be moved?

Ilovemycar
03-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Imho meguiars NXT2.0 is the best wax for weekly/ monthly use. Its extremly easy to apply and cures the fastest that I've seen, here's a shot from last week

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App

That is a sealant (synthetic wax). I also have been using that, however, they just came out with the Ultimate Synthetic Wax. :) I bought it as soon as I knew it was finally released.

However, the OP is talking about spray wax, and it's a different thing. Using sealant every week or month is very likely overkill, as sealant is supposed to last several months, even a half year or more. People do put carnauba on top of cured sealant for the looks.

mujjuman is correct that it should only really be used immediately after a wash. I own several different Optimum products, but haven't tried their spray wax. I use Meguiar's Ultimate spray wax.

Kilgore Trout
03-23-2011, 02:25 PM
was this a test to see if it would be moved?

I'm specifically telling you all that this is a product that plays nicely with the paint on an E9x. I still contend that something that works well for the 3-series will not necessarily have similar impact across the full line of BMWs.

I never got this stuff to work on my Acura TSX either. It just seems to work well with my E91.

petriej
03-23-2011, 02:51 PM
New sheriff is kicking butt! This thread got moved in record time.

///M-ratedE90
03-23-2011, 02:54 PM
This should be in "Detailing" rather than "General BMW".

Much to learn, has the new guy.

vern
03-23-2011, 03:58 PM
This should be in "Detailing" rather than "General BMW".

Much to learn, has the new guy.:dunno::dunno::dunno:
cheers
vern

Bill-SD
03-23-2011, 06:17 PM
this should be in "detailing" rather than "general bmw".
much to learn, has the new guy.

+1

DougN
03-24-2011, 06:24 AM
I think its all part of a sinister plan to take the lively content of the E9X board and move it out to the general BMW population so all those *other* BMW types can benefit!

Munich77
03-24-2011, 07:18 AM
OCW is awesome stuff and pretty durable. I love using it. I use it as more of a booster wax - i.e. to put an extra coat of shine on the car when there is already and underlying coat. Optimum also sells a spray and walk away sealant Opti-seal? that is supposed to be awesome. Just spray it on the panel, spread it out and no wiping off required. With that sealant and OCW you can probably wax a car in 20 minutes.

Johnz3mc
03-24-2011, 09:58 AM
There's no doubt that Dr. G. makes some good stuff. Just look at ONR and Opti-Seal as examples. I can't honestly remember when I last heard a bad review of an Optimum product.

Ilovemycar
03-24-2011, 01:28 PM
There's no doubt that Dr. G. makes some good stuff. Just look at ONR and Opti-Seal as examples. I can't honestly remember when I last heard a bad review of an Optimum product.

Well, I don't have much to compare it to, but the Optimum Leather Protectant has fumes that make me feel really weird and not in a good way at all. If I go to town on a car in a garage, I usually leave all doors and windows wide open for as long as possible, well up to days in fact. It is the strongest stuff I have out of many chemicals, and between my degreaser and this, well they are the two worst that I've used.

My Rejuvenator and Prestine do not bother me in the slightest. I also now own some Aerospace 303 but haven't used it yet, and will in the relatively near future.

But, I'm a fan of the other Optimum products I have. I need to check that opti seal out sometime. It's too bad about the effects the OLP has on me, because I do like the matte finish it provides, and it works on seating as well as vinyl.