PDA

View Full Version : No Chirp / Alarm Not Working (sorta)

kgorczyn
03-25-2011, 11:31 AM
I have a 2000 528i.

My Car used to Chip when I unlocked/locked the car and one day it quit.

My alarm used to work too, now it does not. When I intentionally set off the alarm, the lights flash, but there is no siren.

This leads me to believe my Battery in my Siren is dead. Checked my regular battery, and it's fine. Car has no other electrical issues.

So now comes this question, is it possible to replace just the battery in the siren? Or do I have to order the Siren/Battery (Part # 65758383153) ???

I know its located in the right rear of the car, any tips on how to get to it? From what I read it's a PITA.

Thanks,
Chris

edjack
03-25-2011, 01:00 PM
When mine died, I cut it open (it's sealed). The battery was still fine.

The only PITA is getting the fender liner out and back in. You need strong hands.

kgorczyn
03-25-2011, 01:15 PM
When mine died, I cut it open (it's sealed). The battery was still fine.

The only PITA is getting the fender liner out and back in. You need strong hands.

Thanks Ed.

So the siren itself was bad huh? Either way it's all one unit, I think I'll just have to suck it up and spend the $130. I see used ones on ebay for less than $100, but at this point $30 sounds like a good buy for piece of mind for the next several years.

Thanks again.

vetaldj
03-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Have something similar - my siren is not working at all now...

I have several related codes though (PA Soft):
ZKE ->
94/21 - DWA-LED: open circuit or cable DWAL, KL30
92/21 - Tilt alarm sensor: fuse or cable
95/21 - Interior security: fuse or cable

Can anybody help me find those fuses? I checked in glove box and trunk banks but found just one for alarm and it's OK... Where else should I look for a problem?
Sorry if repeated...

Thanks!

friedhushpuppy
06-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Thank you for taking the time to consider my problem. I was rear ended in my '97 E29 528i. The bumper cover was replaced and painted, but minimal damage. On receipt of the vehicle from the body shop, the alarm no longer chirps when armed and fuse 48 blows immediately on replacing. Needless to say the alarm is disabled.

Central locking and the panic function work (lights flash but no audible alarm). Codes are suggesting the alarm control unit in the dash needs replacing ($500 at my indy) but would this cause a hard short? Maybe the ACU code is related to wires near the bumper cover near the horn being pinched? Everything else seems ok.

My indy says that alarm control unit failure is very uncommon, and very coincidental with bumper repair.

Any ideas on where to look before pulling the trigger on the ACU? :dunno:

Thanks for your time, and helpful ideas in advance.
FHP

edmonem
06-13-2011, 01:43 PM
while you guys are on the issue of the alarm siren, is it possible to hook up a different siren on there that will sound different and not like a high pitch cat...maybe install a siren that makes the "beep" sund. im dont know of anyone that has changed them.

QSilver7
06-13-2011, 03:06 PM
When the alarm siren topics come up...there are usually those that love the old "cat call" or "a-wee-a-wee" siren....and those who hate it (like me)...then there are those who like the newer "road runner" or "beep, beep" siren. If enough members chime in...you all might be able to swap. You can install either one in an e39:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q/original/DWA%20Alarm%20Siren%20Location%20and%20Description .jpg

Youngproexec
06-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Sometimes mine would do the same ( show that it locked visually but not audibly ) . It only happened whenever my sunroof would get stuck on the wind deflector and would not fully close. After forcing the sunroof to close and locking the car again, I would hear the car's alarm chirp.

pfoto
07-22-2012, 12:16 PM
On my 1999 e39 528it when I activate the alarm the remote locks work fine and the lights flash including the small red activation alarm light on rear view mirror flashes but sometimes there is no sound chirp. It just started happening lately. My main car battery was replaced about 2 years ago so I don't have any problems with that.

I noticed on this thread it mentions something about a rechargeable battery in the alarm siren. Can anyone tell me more, can this battery be replaced, or does it need a whole new siren, or is my issue a whole different problem.

Thx

bluebee
07-22-2012, 07:03 PM
FWIW, mine doesn't chirp anymore either.

I don't know why as I haven't explored it but it 'could' be the trunk loom acting up again.

pfoto
07-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Sometimes mine would do the same ( show that it locked visually but not audibly ) . It only happened whenever my sunroof would get stuck on the wind deflector and would not fully close. After forcing the sunroof to close and locking the car again, I would hear the car's alarm chirp.

I know it's getting off the alarm siren topic but try greasing the wind deflector track, it will take care of that sunroof sticking problem instantly.

Syskko
07-23-2012, 07:02 PM
I have the same problem with my siren. The lights come on when the alarm is triggered, when locking, unlocking the car, but there is no sound. I have been searching this problem in other forums and have found nothing. The only thing I found was just as kgorczyn and edjack already said. The siren has a back up battery. So, I pried open mine using a razor blade and a flat head screw driver. The siren is only being held together with three screws on the back and some type of glue. Once I opened it I was able to determine that the siren was shot. New batteries would not help even if I would be able to replace them. I hope this image helps someone. Many thanks to everyone who has helped me by posting their DIY's and the problems and their solutions. I just wanted to put in my two cents since I know I have taken more than that from everyone. :thumbup:

pfoto
07-23-2012, 09:33 PM
I have the same problem with my siren. The lights come on when the alarm is triggered, when locking, unlocking the car, but there is no sound. I have been searching this problem in other forums and have found nothing. The only thing I found was just as kgorczyn and edjack already said. The siren has a back up battery. So, I pried open mine using a razor blade and a flat head screw driver. The siren is only being held together with three screws on the back and some type of glue. Once I opened it I was able to determine that the siren was shot. New batteries would not help even if I would be able to replace them. I hope this image helps someone. Many thanks to everyone who has helped me by posting their DIY's and the problems and their solutions. I just wanted to put in my two cents since I know I have taken more than that from everyone. :thumbup:

Well, I guess that pretty much answers for this "chirp" problem.. I was thinking the same conclusion and your photo seems to confirm it. With long term wear & tear these siren alarms really need to be replaced as a complete unit. New siren alarms are a kinda expensive, but there are used ones available online at reasonable/cheap prices, if they can last at least a few years it might be worth it.

Thanks for the pix, helpful.

nsx
07-24-2012, 08:07 PM
This is sort of OT, but under normal usage, is there a way to lock/unlock the car without the chirp from the alarm?

pfoto
07-24-2012, 08:33 PM
This is sort of OT, but under normal usage, is there a way to lock/unlock the car without the chirp from the alarm?

I have no knowledge if the alarm siren can be deactivated, but if you're not getting a chirp on normal circumstances I guess it would be more likely a siren alarm problem.

bluebee
07-24-2012, 11:48 PM
is there a way to lock/unlock the car without the chirp from the alarm?

Again, I haven't put much thought into the lack of chirp lately on my alarm system ... but a quick search for /alarm F3 in the bestlinks brings this up, among others:

- How to disable or enable the alarm system unlock chirp (1 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270435)) (2 (http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/138772)) (3 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6552530#post6552530))

bmw_lover85
07-25-2012, 07:08 AM
When the alarm siren topics come up...there are usually those that love the old "cat call" or "a-wee-a-wee" siren....and those who hate it (like me)...then there are those who like the newer "road runner" or "beep, beep" siren. If enough members chime in...you all might be able to swap. You can install either one in an e39:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q/original/DWA%20Alarm%20Siren%20Location%20and%20Description .jpg

Let me just double check!! Are you saying that I can buy a siren from 01-03 e39 and hook it up in my 97? Plug and play? Will work with no issues?

Only1Balto
09-30-2012, 02:02 AM
Have you done this yet? ^

bluebee
09-30-2012, 04:06 AM
For the record, these are in in the bestlinks for diagnosing & replacing the siren:
- How to understand the BMW E39 EWS alarm drive-away protection system (1 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5876960&postcount=4)) (2 (http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/777370)) (pdf (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=303042&d=1322673583)) & how to replace the siren (1 (http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_pages/BMW%20E39%20Siren%20Replacement.htm))