PDA

View Full Version : Strange Sound

magnumforc
03-26-2011, 04:27 PM
I occasionally hear a sound like a compressor while my GT is standing still in the garage. At first I thought it was the door mechanism as I heard something similar when I tried to open the door and apparently lock it at the same time (touching the pad while pulling the handle). I had heard the sound before but that's the closest that I have heard to replicating it. I thought maybe it's the self-leveling system or something similar?

I now occasionally hear the same sound for no reason at all. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the car, no malfunctions show up, all works normally. And the noise is probably no more than once or twice a week and for probably less than a second or so. At least that is how often I hear it when I am in the garage.

Any one else hear this?

car-fan
04-02-2011, 10:10 AM
When you approach the car certain systems come alive in anticipation of you starting the car. I am not sure if its the ignition and/or fuel system or something else. Its normal for the car to do this.

Just remember not to ever leave your second key in the car for prolonged periods without the car running as well. As long as the system detects a key, these systems continue to run and can cause battery drain.

After starting the car on occaision you may also hear the rear leveling system compressor at times as well.

magnumforc
04-02-2011, 11:48 AM
When you approach the car certain systems come alive in anticipation of you starting the car. I am not sure if its the ignition and/or fuel system or something else. Its normal for the car to do this.

Just remember not to ever leave your second key in the car for prolonged periods without the car running as well. As long as the system detects a key, these systems continue to run and can cause battery drain.

After starting the car on occaision you may also hear the rear leveling system compressor at times as well.

Thanks! I still hear the noise on occasion, yet nothing has otherwise been abnormal. Car runs like a dream. Never hear it on the 2010 without Xdrive, although my spouse simply goes to the garage and gets in and drives off. Unlike me who's always in the garage doing something. The neighbors must think I'm married to the two Bimmers as I spend more time with them than the wife! She doesn't mind, of course, since her GT always looks concours ready and she's very proud of it!

car-fan
04-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks! I still hear the noise on occasion, yet nothing has otherwise been abnormal. Car runs like a dream. Never hear it on the 2010 without Xdrive, although my spouse simply goes to the garage and gets in and drives off. Unlike me who's always in the garage doing something. The neighbors must think I'm married to the two Bimmers as I spend more time with them than the wife! She doesn't mind, of course, since her GT always looks concours ready and she's very proud of it!

LOL ! I know all too well what you mean. ;)

magnumforc
05-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Found the problem. Short or open circuit in the VVT system. VVT motor has fault for 13808. Is highly probable same reason the vehicle quit shortly after fueling a few months ago. Nothing wrong with the fuel at all, just this system gone bad as I was hearing the same noise intermittently at that time too. Dealer fluffed this off today but said BMW is working on it. I'd guess others will have the same issue in the future.

magnumforc
06-08-2011, 10:22 AM
UPDATE: My vehicle made a strange buzzing sound, like a woodpecker, at various and sundry times, and even the dealer had no idea why. Alleged it was a short or open in the VVT system. I was sitting on a friends deck about 100 foot distant from the car and they thought it was funny since they have birds all around. It really does sound like a woodpecker. Happens in the garage, on the street, anywhere. When you open a door, or liftgate, (sometimes) when the car is standing, and for no reason at all. Dealer stated they cleared two codes from computer but could not clear one, and also put note on RO that "BMW is working on it" and blamed V V T unit.

BULL. We found the problem this morning. Damned CA key fob must be defective. Started using the second one we never used and no more sounds. Everything works fine with no problems, no more woodpecker noises. Amazing BMW couldn't figure this out.

quackbury
06-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Amazing how many peckers are in the news this week. Is your name Weiner?

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

magnumforc
06-08-2011, 05:00 PM
No but I did send picture of my driveshaft to the gals at BMW to see if they could figure out the problem and it was too long to get in the 8x10 glossy. Darned Xdrives!

car-fan
06-08-2011, 08:29 PM
No but I did send picture of my driveshaft to the gals at BMW to see if they could figure out the problem and it was too long to get in the 8x10 glossy. Darned Xdrives!

Good Comeback:rofl: With regards to the FOB, the service folks would be wise to take note of the issue that "you" resolved in case future clients experience the same issue.:thumbup:

magnumforc
06-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Didn't resolve the sound for long. Maybe a day. Changed the profiles in the vehicle and deleted the old and it seemed to work, but after about a day it returned. Dealer has it now and says it's become common in the 2011 535 series (not only the GT) but not the 550. Strange.

magnumforc
07-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Per another post, the reprogramming has solved the issue and a valve that rattles and ratchets is the culprit. BMW of Vista was the winning dealer in finding the cause, and says while the noise is gone, the part will likely fail in the future and while not detrimental to driving, the noise will return. Thus, they ordered the part, it's in and I just need to lose the GT for another day for install. Can't seem to bear the loss yet, especially with the warm, muggy weather.

jadnashuanh
07-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Note that while this may resolve your problem, the original description said it sounded like an air compressor...the GT has an air compressor for the rear air suspension, so, that sound may intermittently be heard.

magnumforc
07-08-2011, 07:21 PM
True, but I've traced the sound to under the drivers' side hood and the compressor is under the rear passenger side. Thanks for the tip though, since the self-leveling can trim up without warning.

magnumforc
07-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Vehicle back in and it's now been two days while they pull out the Valvetronic actuator motor and eccentric shaft so it appears. They had to special order a part and didn't elaborate, but am hoping they get it right. Two more days without the car again. Told me last night it would be ready this morning yet it's late day again and it's still not done. I want to find out the number of hours it takes to do the work as I sometimes suspect they want you in at 7 am and then let the vehicle sit for hours before starting work. Whether this is the cae or not, I don't know but I sure suspect it sometimes. Two days to reprogram the car? I see where other people have injectors and the HPFP replaced along with a reprogram in a day. Am I too picky?

I did find an explanation of the noise, FINALLY, on one of the internet sites where they had posted some N55 TSB's.....

"A currently present fault or reoccurring fault after programming will allow the Valvetronic system to default to the full lift position. The full lift position can be verified by allowing the vehicle to go to sleep. Upon waking the vehicle, a short rattle noise can be heard for approximately 3 seconds from the cylinder head cover area without starting the engine.

Replace the eccentric shaft and the VVT (variable valve gear) actuator motor; refer to the following Repair Instructions:

REP 11 37 020 Remove and refit/replace servomotor for eccentric shaft (N55)

REP 11 37 005 Remove and refit/replace eccentric shaft (N55)"

quackbury
07-14-2011, 03:08 PM
For the amount of critical work that is being done, I would prefer that they take their time and get it right, rather than rush it.

The reprogramming time is a wild card. From what I have heard, it doesn't always "take" the first time. So the dealer may have to do multiple iterations. Telling you 2 days is probably their way of giving themselves a safety cushion.

magnumforc
07-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Probably right. Got it back late today and it appears to run okay. Didn't get much chance to get it up to any speed with the rush hour traffic. I will take it out tomorrow and run it at some high speeds to check the turbo boost, etc.
After looking at the schematic I was able to download on the N55, I can see the time it takes to do the work. Man, is this engine complicated. The N55 is virtually a completely different engine than the N54 in so many ways, such as the valvetronic III and the new turbo, etc.

lukpra
07-21-2011, 01:34 PM
I got this brand new E93 335i, which has the same N55 engine.
After 1k miles (and 3 weeks with the car) it went south and started failing to turn on after a short run. It only got worse in the next day.
The same strange noise existed as from day 1, in fact, it made in the showroom, however, I had never had a BMW with the confort access, so I tought it would be a normal waking up noise.
So my car is there and the diagnose is similar to yours. However, I live in the sunny Brazil and, if you complain about BMWNA, imagine here.
Time estimate for the parts to arrive: 30 DAYS. You got it. a whole MONTH.
Anyway, we are trying to deal something out and, as soon as I get it back we can share our toughts on the matter.

Cheers to you all.

magnumforc
07-21-2011, 02:59 PM
I got this brand new E93 335i, which has the same N55 engine.
After 1k miles (and 3 weeks with the car) it went south and started failing to turn on after a short run. It only got worse in the next day.
The same strange noise existed as from day 1, in fact, it made in the showroom, however, I had never had a BMW with the confort access, so I tought it would be a normal waking up noise.
So my car is there and the diagnose is similar to yours. However, I live in the sunny Brazil and, if you complain about BMWNA, imagine here.
Time estimate for the parts to arrive: 30 DAYS. You got it. a whole MONTH.
Anyway, we are trying to deal something out and, as soon as I get it back we can share our toughts on the matter.

Cheers to you all.

Hope the part arrives sooner than later and your problems are solved! I took mine out for a freeway run yesterday and almost 4 hours of driving with no problems. Best of luck and good wishes!