PDA

View Full Version : 04 X5 4.4 Rating

Andrew Hunter
02-18-2004, 10:41 AM
I bought an 04 X5 4.4 in December. Although I enjoy drivin the vehicle it is a bit of a disappointment.

1) The paint quality is poor and has extreme orange peal. When I bought the vehicle it was raining and I didn't really notice how bad it was until the first sunny day after it was washed.

2) The brakes fade quickly under pressure and start to squeak quickly. I don't race around in it but I find that my wife's Honda CRV's brakes are superior.

3) I only have 2,000Kms on the vehicle and have already had an auxilary water pump replaced and the rear hach auto release always has a problem except when I take it to the dealer.

4) A friend of mine has had his ) 4.4 in the shop three times to do with the rear auto leveling that I've heard other forum users speak about.

Why is BMW the only manufacturer that does not offer a factory extended warranty?

My first BMW and maybe mty last!

DrewH :thumbdwn:

Patrick330i
02-18-2004, 09:42 PM
I bought an 04 X5 4.4 in December. Although I enjoy drivin the vehicle it is a bit of a disappointment.

1) The paint quality is poor and has extreme orange peal. When I bought the vehicle it was raining and I didn't really notice how bad it was until the first sunny day after it was washed.

2) The brakes fade quickly under pressure and start to squeak quickly. I don't race around in it but I find that my wife's Honda CRV's brakes are superior.

3) I only have 2,000Kms on the vehicle and have already had an auxilary water pump replaced and the rear hach auto release always has a problem except when I take it to the dealer.

4) A friend of mine has had his ) 4.4 in the shop three times to do with the rear auto leveling that I've heard other forum users speak about.

Why is BMW the only manufacturer that does not offer a factory extended warranty?

Sorry to hear it, but just to add a bit of balance to what you are saying, I have a 330i and it has been absolutely flawless to date. Maybe your Xer just has some individual issues. Good luck.

AndDown
02-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your X...I've had mine almost 3 years and the only problem was the auxiliary fan malfunctioning. When I picked up the car, it was parked in the dealer's delivery area with full florescent lights; I spent a good 15-20 minutes checking out the car and didn't find any blemishes. I know the cars get checked out at the factory and then again at the VPC, so it's interesting why the orange peel paint was not noticed.

TVX
02-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Yeah Drew your not alone I have read some pretty scary reviews of the X5 4.4 owners from other websites and its got me wondering if I should really drop 65k plus on this car when there are so many other cars you can buy for 65k and less.

Have you had any rear air shock error messages? My friend bought an X5 4.4 last month and has given him one error code already which was fixed by the dealership.

I checked out the '04 Lexus GX470 with KDSS suspension and it seemed quite impressive. I dont know how Lexus gives you so much more car for your money but I guess it comes down to whether you drive sporty or not. The Lexus fully loaded to the max and includes runnnig boards, changer, tow package, nav etc. was 55k a full 10k less than the 4.4.

I am having some second thoughts but my X5 4.4 comes in next week.

I know everyone is going to bash me for mentioning Lexus on this board but its got me thinking.

Capitalist
02-20-2004, 02:13 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but it seems that your car is an exception rather than the rule. BMW paint quality is actually very good compared to most other cars (especially domestics and Japanese). I've had my X5 for over 2 years and the paint finish still looks the same way it did on delivery day; there's no sign of orange peel whatsoever. The brakes on my X5 are by far the best brakes I've ever had on any car or truck. The 60-0 stopping distance, according to the magazines, is around 117 ft - same as the much lighter and sportier M3. I'm wondering if perhaps your rotors are warped, although it's hard to imagine how anyone could do that in just 2000 km.

rting
03-25-2004, 10:41 PM
I checked out the '04 Lexus GX470 with KDSS suspension and it seemed quite impressive. I dont know how Lexus gives you so much more car for your money but I guess it comes down to whether you drive sporty or not. The Lexus fully loaded to the max and includes runnnig boards, changer, tow package, nav etc. was 55k a full 10k less than the 4.4.

I am having some second thoughts but my X5 4.4 comes in next week.

I know everyone is going to bash me for mentioning Lexus on this board but its got me thinking.

Well, I am thinking about buying one too ... it got me thinking. The forum at www.roadfly.com had a whole collection of posts on transmission and throttle delay problems. However, since I have not put down my money yet :rolleyes: , I rather wait for a fix. Will not consider the Lexus because their forum says that they have wind noise issue with a bad windscreen. KDSS is not available in my area so it is an non-issue for me to go for the X5 and watch these forums. I'm the driving/performance focus kind I guess.